Dell Optiplex gx620 - small form factor OR ultra

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bproven

Dell Optiplex gx620 - small form factor OR ultra

Post by bproven » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:33 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Dell's optiplex series? I'm interested in knowing if there is a noticeable difference between the ultra SFF and the regular SFF versions. Is the ultra that much quieter? I have a mac mini and its deadquiet (IMO). Trying to get something similar from Dell (and yes I have to buy a Dell...) :(

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:45 pm

the gx620 (don't know what's the diff with the sff versions, I'm assuming i'm next to a sff since it's almost bigger than a 19" lcd and about 6" thick) i'm sitting next to it while typing this, and it isn't quiet but it's not really loud either. If you want to compare it to the mini, though, it's a big difference (IMO).

bproven

external power supply or not?

Post by bproven » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:00 pm

I think the big diff is the ultra SFF has an external power supply brick like a laptop. Does this one you are talking about have an external ps?

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:01 am

I'll take another look the next time I go to a computer lab.

The pc is "quiet" when the case fans are on low. Due to the open grill in the front, the hard drive seeks drive me nuts, but otherwise the dells are "quiet" (just barely over ambient noise with AC/heater on).

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:49 pm

sorry for the long wait, if you haven't decided on it yet, I've only seen the ones with the built in power supplies.