How quiet is the Silverstone ST60F 600w

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jermaink

How quiet is the Silverstone ST60F 600w

Post by jermaink » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:50 am

I've heard some reviews saying that it's quiet, but I know if that's 'SPCR quiet'.

I'm liking the sleved modular cables though. Just a query for people with 600W Seasonic S12 PSU's, is it normal for Smartguardian to show voltages below 5% of the recommended spec (is it worth me replacing it? I had a DFI board which wouldn't work the PSU and it probably was due to low voltage).

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:16 am

Anyone got a clue about it?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:54 am

First, about the Seasonic & DFI (nf4?) -- there have been known compatibility issues with these.

The Silverstone ST60F is not quiet by SPCR standards. It never goes below 30 dBA@1m. It does appear to be well built, though.

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:08 am

Yeah. Actually I'm using the Seasonic with an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, to cure the PSU problem, get the passive northbridge, and have room for 2 7800GT's with AC Silencers, if I want to in the future.

While the Seasonic is damn quiet, my one seems to be a pushing the bottom limit of it's 5% load regulation, if Smartguardian is to be believed. This could be why it struggled with the DFI, as it's the latest revision model and the DFI problem was supposed to be cured. I'm considering asking for a replacement (the Asus once didn't power up. The PSU just stopped, just as it did 100% of the time with the DFI, but it seems to be the exception with the Asus).

Shame hearing about the Silverstone, as it'd be great to have a PSU as quiet and efficient as the Seasonic, while being modular and having sleaved cables.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:25 am

jermaink wrote:While the Seasonic is damn quiet, my one seems to be a pushing the bottom limit of it's 5% load regulation, if Smartguardian is to be believed.
Don't trust mobo-embedded voltage monitors. You need a multimeter to check it. Which line?

One thing you can do is to actually try tightening all the connectors on your ATX and AUX12V outputs. Just jam a small screwdriver ito squeeze each "female" side connector a little, making everything fit a little tighter. That can reduce voltage drop across bad contacts -- if there really is voltage drop and if bad contacts are a cause.

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:42 am

The ATX +5.0V line is usually at 4.7, but fluctuates between 4.67 and 4.73. The ATX +12V line is usually at 11.71, but drops down to 11.63 sometimes, but that's within spec.

I know that motherboard sensors can be unreliable, but the readings from my old Neopower were much more in line. I'll probably have to check with a multimeter, though I'll inform my retailer anyway.

Also, I'm getting a reading of 0V on the LDT Bus, and the DRAM, making me think that this motherboard's sensors may be less reliable than those on the DFI, but the bootup problem with the DFI (which was apparently fixed) and the single failed boot with the Asus has got me slightly concerned.

alexo

Post by alexo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:20 am

jermaink wrote:Also, I'm getting a reading of 0V on the LDT Bus, and the DRAM, making me think that this motherboard's sensors may be less reliable than those on the DFI, but the bootup problem with the DFI (which was apparently fixed) and the single failed boot with the Asus has got me slightly concerned.
People are still reporting problems on DFI-street.

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:06 am

Yeah, but this is on a Asus A8N-SLI (the mobo readings being on the low end of 5% below).

So I'm thinking that the PSU might be one of the poorer samples (being at the worst of it's 5% voltage regulation).

SnooP

Post by SnooP » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:21 pm

don't trust software readings!

anyways AFAIK the seasonic issue with DFI boards has nothing to do with sagging rails, its about 5vsb surge currents at startup tripping its sensitive protection circuits of the seasonic PSU (well best conclusion from information avaliable). good analysis of issue here:
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthr ... e=threaded
apparant quote from seasonic
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpos ... tcount=302

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:03 am

Yeah, I know. I'm getting a multimetre so I can give it a check. (I don't really know how to do it..yet...I better not stuff something up).

But the low readings are a bit of a worry.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/s ... p?t=137886

This is the current guide I've got. Can anyone recommend any others (for maybe people with limited experience)

SnooP

Post by SnooP » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:19 am

That guide looks fine, except that most PSU's don't have an aux connector. Depending on psu it is often possible to measure it off the 3.3V rail from a sata connector (if they've got some metal exposed on outside). but other times you gotta stick the probe inside the sata connector itself (not recommended). The other way is to measure it off the 24pin connector, its the orange lead.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:49 am

All the black wires are joined together inside the PSU. To take any reading, stick the black test probe into a black wire/pin in a 4-pin Molex, and just leave it there. Now you only have to make contact to the appropriate pin on the red probe to get voltage readings. Note that how much pressure you apply on these pins can affect the readings sometimes -- contact resistance is lower when there is more pressure.

Chaendler

Post by Chaendler » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:11 pm

MikeC, can you tell me if the St60f has a high pitch noise when its fan is off?

Last two PSUs I have tested from other brands has that problem!
Does it mean that every high wattage psu has a high pitch noise?

I need a modular psu, so seasonic is not for me.
Thank you very much!

Chaendler

Post by Chaendler » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:14 pm

Ok, just installed it and fan-swapped :)

This psu is totally silent, no whine noise as the OCZs..

Hope it helps.

ratherrapid

silverstone st60f

Post by ratherrapid » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:05 pm

chaendler--what do u mean by "hope it helps". did the nexus fan swap quiet the silverstone st60f 600w psu? i find mine (this is first day up and running) seems to be noisy, but, tj07 case with so many fans its a little hard to tell. the modular cabling is very nice--makes for an attractive system, but, there is in my tj07 a lot of air turbulance right from the area of the psu, the skythe katana and the two rear 90mm fans.

Chaendler

Post by Chaendler » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:16 am

With Hope It Hepls I meant that I wanted my oppinion to be useful for all you :)

Yes, the nexus fan swap has improved very very much the amount of noise my PSU made.

A tip for you: mount the fans with silent blocks and use high quality fans, like nexus, akasa amber, etc.
The auminium is a very bad material for building a Silent PC.