Nexus Drive-A-Way on order

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snutten

Nexus Drive-A-Way on order

Post by snutten » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:13 pm

Just bought one of these. Silentpcshop.nl boasts:

"The Nexus Drive-A-Way™ is the ultimate hard disk silencer. The completely closed enclosure is fully equipped with multi frequency noise absorption material preventing any noise to escape from the unit.
The Drive-A-Way is suitable for 3.5" and 2.5" hard disks for both IDE and SATA. Any heat generated by the hard disks is dissipated from the top of the disk to the aluminum enclosure via thermal conductivity tape. Because of the high thermal capacity of the aluminum enclosure it provides sufficient cooling for the fastest disks, even up to 15.000 RPM. Tests have show that your HDD remains cooler inside the Drive-A-Way then when it is mounted without the enclosure."

I'll get back to you once I've put it into use, unless of course everybody here except me already knows it's a dud. (I performed a SPCR search but found nothing.)
I'll use it for my 74 Raptor. As I understand it lots of folks here are looking for quietening solutions for their hot Raptors?

(Off topic: My home-made w/c system is starting to give me problems after three years of use and the stupid DDC I use for the separate passively-cooled HDD loop is so hard to quiet that the whole idea is moot if I can wrap up the Raptor instead of the pump. My 1048 main pump is way quieter.)

ragtag

Post by ragtag » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:05 am

Not to burst your bubble. I just got one of those and installed it in my machine to get rid of an annoying high pitch whining/whistling noise from my Wester Digital drive. I had found out that suspension likely wouldn't help, so enclosing it sounded like a good idea.

The good news is that it did, as expected, a great job at getting rid of the high pitch whining noise. Which was what I wanted. BUT it did not silence the drive. It had surprisingly little effect on lower pitch noises, such as those made when accessing the drive. I'm guessing suspending the whole Nexus thing would get rid of those noises as well, but I'm not going that far as those noises don't bug me like the whining did and I don't have space in my box to suspend a 5.25" drive. :) Also note that the box is acutally larger than an average CD-rom. I had to remove the bay cover in front, the Nexus sticks out as far as the DVD-player in the front and further at the back.

I'm still a little worried about tempratures though, as I've not been able to read those. I've had no trouble with the disk so far ('knock on wood') and the Nexus casing doesn't get noticibly hot, but it's still a bit worrying to have the whole drive enclosed like that...with limited airflow around it.

Ragnar

mattek

Post by mattek » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:01 am

Snutten. Why order from the Netherlands? You can get the nexus on komplett.se.

/matte