Absorbing dying teams into the SPCR effort?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

glassjoe

Absorbing dying teams into the SPCR effort?

Post by glassjoe » Thu May 15, 2003 7:39 pm

So.... would asking dying teams to join the SPCR effort be considered bad form?

Or would you say that all's fair in love, war, and folding?

Take a look at team TechIMO. They've got 67 total members, but only 7 currently active.

Or how about team vcats? They only have 1 active member!
(Well, the stats say 2, but it looks like that other team member recently stopped.)

I'm bored.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Thu May 15, 2003 7:59 pm

Notice that dropzone.com has not been green since we passed them?

glassjoe

Post by glassjoe » Thu May 15, 2003 8:06 pm

After looking at dropzone's stats, I just noticed that the The Knights Who Say Ni! are getting awfully close. Their overtake date is now July 6.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu May 15, 2003 9:37 pm

I see nothing wrong with asking other teams to join ours. Why should they stay on sinking ships when they could get chicks at SPCR like we do?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri May 16, 2003 12:26 am

glassjoe wrote:After looking at dropzone's stats, I just noticed that the The Knights Who Say Ni! are getting awfully close. Their overtake date is now July 6.
Their head hacker seems to go by the name Millenium2001Guy: makes a few points in the Stanford Folding forums and seems to have a 128 node farm to throw at their effort. They were focussed on other DC projects till recently, have now thrown all their boxen @ folding.

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Fri May 16, 2003 2:14 am

I read somewhere he was #1 in the user ranks of the genome thing at some point last year.

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Fri May 16, 2003 5:11 am

Why would we want to do that? We dont want the slackers who sit around, we want the people who can acutually contribute something. Even me with my one 1700+ that can (suprisingly) chew threw a WU in 1.5 days.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri May 16, 2003 6:58 am

No, not the slackers, but the guys who were on teams that used to have lots of people but now it's just a few left who still fold. We want those guys that are still folding.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Fri May 16, 2003 7:15 am

If you are like me, and have gone through the ringer of people thinking I am a nut for spending all this effort to silence my computer without sacrificing performance, I like the concept of a silent computing folding team beating all of these other teams.

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Fri May 16, 2003 11:00 am

Can somebody dig up a list of dying teams? I will be willing to help recruit the more potential persons into our F@H team.

I feel like the Borg, swooping around gobbling up the wretched civilizations who are nothing and turning them into something more potent! :twisted:

"You will be assimilated into the SilentPC F@H!"

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri May 16, 2003 1:11 pm

What I would do, if'n I was you, AtomicDude, would be to go through that list at http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ and try to contact any team that isn't in the top 200 who has more than, say, 200 registered team members, but less than 10 active. Those are the ones you could be pretty sure were going strong once, but are not anymore. Give it a shot, Atomic Dude. Even if you just get a few to switch, it's still good.

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Fri May 16, 2003 4:00 pm

wussboy wrote:What I would do, if'n I was you, AtomicDude, would be to go through that list at http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ and try to contact any team that isn't in the top 200 who has more than, say, 200 registered team members, but less than 10 active. Those are the ones you could be pretty sure were going strong once, but are not anymore. Give it a shot, Atomic Dude. Even if you just get a few to switch, it's still good.
Im on it! Ill post my results...

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Fri May 16, 2003 4:08 pm

I'm guessing the Silent PC Review team no longer has "folding on silent PC's" as part of the membership requirement. But wasn't that the whole point of starting the team? We could recruit a bunch of Delta-fan-using overclockers, but to me that sounds counter-intuitive to the original purpose of having a team of silent folders.

Whether people fold for SPCR or another team, they're still folding, which is all that matters from the research/"doing what's right" perspective. And SPCR started folding to broaden awareness of silent computing, so if we get into the top 50 by folding on noisy computers, have we really achieved our goal?

I guess it makes sense for SPCR forum members to use spare, noisy PC's to fold along with their quiet ones, since the focus would still be more-or-less on the silent folding PC's. But it would be totally missing the point to ask random strangers to join the team, wouldn't it? There wouldn't even be that sense of team unity from posting on a forum with your fellow folders.

Sorry for making a big speech, but I just wanted to express my disappointment that the SPCR folding team might be losing its sense of purpose in the name of fame (and a slightly higher ranking).

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Sat May 17, 2003 11:13 am

Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying, but your criteria would mean I couldn't fold for SPCR, and I'm gonna do that no matter what you say. :) Yes, my computer is noisey, and I have to turn it off at night because I can't sleep with it on. But the second I wake up, on it goes to fold.

And what if these new people start to hang out here and get into silencing their computers? That would be worth it, right?

But, I don't really care one way or the other. If more people want to fold with us, that's great. If people only want silent folders, that's also great.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Thu May 22, 2003 7:14 pm

Werd...
Why should it matter if machine folding is silent or not?
Do you care if your work machine folding when you are at home is silent or not?
Is the silent PC absolute value such as 30db @ 1 meter away for over all system sound with certain frequency only acceptable or is it realative? (For those used to delta, stock fan running @ 12v might be silent).
It is all relative (and if anyone insist the former, I bet 80% of you who insist don't have truely silent RIG based on my standard)
Loosen up. The purpose here is to help our generation and future generation, with a little kick of competition, fun and effort.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri May 23, 2003 1:10 am

SometimesWarrior wrote:I'm guessing the Silent PC Review team no longer has "folding on silent PC's" as part of the membership requirement. But wasn't that the whole point of starting the team?
I wasn't paying attention when the team started so can't comment on that. But as per jinu I figure trying to establish a silence level entry criteria is impractical.

We are concerned with 2 type of enthusiast:
- the folding enthusiast who wants to join a living/growing team. That's fine by me, with a bit of luck they will also join in the forums, help grow the site, learn something to quieten their box(en) and add whatever value they can to the debates. No problem.
- the silence freak who has been cutting sound from his box dB by dB. The challenge to prove your box(en) still works is real, and for a useful cause.

I put myself in the second category, I have been folding for a month and have had 3 system failures (probably all) because I have over-silenced things and they no longer worked to spec.

I would say folk who have an objective of silent PCs could be the gate (as per Radeonman).

pointwood

Post by pointwood » Fri May 23, 2003 1:50 am

Just a general warning :)

Trying to recruit people on other teams can easily backfire and it is generally considered as a bad thing to do.

I say this based on experience (not personal, but from what I've seen around in the DC community).

Btw. I'm crunching for Arstechnica.

NeilBlanchard

As long as you're being quiet....

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri May 23, 2003 5:19 am

Hello:
pointwood wrote:Btw. I'm crunching for Arstechnica.
As long as you're being quiet while you do it... :wink: then we will have succeeded! :P

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri May 23, 2003 7:09 am

I'm not sure how it could backfire...they'd steal our members? But I don't want SPCR to get a bad reputation either. I'd almost rather we kept a good reputation and and lost at folding, personally. But I don't see anything wrong with extending an invitation to teams that have had terminal drops in production over the last 6 months. I'm not talking a slick marketing campaign, but a simple, "We'd love to have you guys on board."

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Fri May 23, 2003 10:08 am

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear in my original post. I didn't mean "membership requirement" literally... I wasn't suggesting that the Folding Police should check every SPCR team member's computer with an SPL meter and kick those that don't meet the standard. :P "Membership ideal" would have been a bit more accurate, although I'd rather not even say "membership" anymore, because to me that implies exclusivity, and the team should open its arms to those who care about the silent cause. And for those who don't care about silent computing, well, they can still change their Team ID to 31574, can't they?

My post was a response to the idea that we should recruit people from other teams. In my mind, convincing people to change their TeamID would not change their ideas (or lack thereof) about silent computing. Perhaps I'm mistaken, though, and the people who switch to the SPCR team will soon get the silencing bug, fitting into dukla2000's first category of enthusiast.

JEN

Post by JEN » Fri May 23, 2003 10:16 am

Would there be anything wrong with asking another forum to join this folding team. They are definitely interesting in silent PCs :)

Plus, the amount of users in that forum are 6314 and max 253 online at once on the 29th april 2003 8O !!!

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Fri May 23, 2003 10:44 am

SometimesWarrior wrote:...
My post was a response to the idea that we should recruit people from other teams. In my mind, convincing people to change their TeamID would not change their ideas (or lack thereof) about silent computing. Perhaps I'm mistaken, though, and the people who switch to the SPCR team will soon get the silencing bug, fitting into dukla2000's first category of enthusiast.
Whole heartidly agree on that bug. You see I was folding for Sudhian forum until I found this one. In fact, this is not the forum I frequent most but I still feel so attached to this forum that I fold for this cause :) (Probably because at this point I've tried about 60-80% of everything that has been mentioned here...:P)
Better method I've been doing was to whenever I see subject silent, silence, etc on one of OC forum I go, I let them know of this site. Slowly converting them into silent OC'ing... (it is possible with advancement of cooling it seems).
I wouldn't go as far as asking other people to join us in their forum. But once we start getting 50- on rank, we will get some looks... :) I know we can do 50 with about 100 active members... :)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri May 23, 2003 1:35 pm

JEN wrote:Would there be anything wrong with asking another forum to join this folding team. They are definitely interesting in silent PCs :)

Plus, the amount of users in that forum are 6314 and max 253 online at once on the 29th april 2003 8O !!!
I don't see anything wrong with it. I would politely explain what it is we are, and invite them to hang out at the forum, and if they like it, they should feel free to join our silent cause. Maybe now that they can keep their computers on all night, they won't mind so much. :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri May 23, 2003 4:16 pm

wussboy wrote:
JEN wrote:Would there be anything wrong with asking another forum to join this folding team. They are definitely interesting in silent PCs :)

I don't see anything wrong with it. I would politely explain what it is we are, and invite them to hang out at the forum, and if they like it, they should feel free to join our silent cause. Maybe now that they can keep their computers on all night, they won't mind so much. :)
Totally agreed! Borg them in! :lol:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 24, 2003 4:29 pm

I nominate JEN and Wussboy. :wink: If they succeed, we'll... we'll think of something! :lol:

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Sun May 25, 2003 6:45 am

MikeC wrote:I nominate JEN and Wussboy. :wink: If they succeed, we'll... we'll think of something! :lol:
I've been trying. I cant find a way to contact team members directly...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed May 28, 2003 8:35 am

Why should they stay on sinking ships when they could get chicks at SPCR like we do?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat May 31, 2003 7:27 am

I think we should try to persuade non-contributing folders to do a little more as well. Like hey, we're all in this together.