Antec Fusion looks interesting.. (CES 06)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Hellspawn

Antec Fusion looks interesting.. (CES 06)

Post by Hellspawn » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:42 pm

http://www.futurelooks.com/?m=show&id=243

Wonder if it takes a regular mainboard (atx).

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:51 pm

so this was the case Mike C was working on?

not bad

nice clean look

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:33 pm

After the hard to get setup and complicated (for some) p180, the P150, a hit, except for Model T paint job and the power supply, maybe the 3rd time is a charm. Who knows.

I know I won't be first in line to get one, even if it looks like my next case..

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:53 pm

It seems that hard drive is mounted at the front. Is that wise? If it was me I would have planned the case to put hard drive further to the back since this is supposedly a HTPC case and HDD moise will be much more noticable.

limee

Post by limee » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:37 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:It seems that hard drive is mounted at the front. Is that wise? If it was me I would have planned the case to put hard drive further to the back since this is supposedly a HTPC case and HDD moise will be much more noticable.
That's why you don't work for antec :roll:. Anyhow, if the plan was to switch the hdd location with the psu, then you wouldn't be making efficient use of air flow, since the air would have to pass through, say a video card. Putting it closer to the mobo would also be tricky depending on the mobo, and the hdd won't be heard if it's a 2.5" drive. Even a suspended samsung/wd/raptor will be difficult to hear if the panel layout is anything like the p180.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:04 pm

limee wrote:That's why you don't work for antec :roll:
That's a bold statement... :roll: Do you worship Antec too?

limee wrote:Anyhow, if the plan was to switch the hdd location with the psu, then you wouldn't be making efficient use of air flow, since the air would have to pass through, say a video card. Putting it closer to the mobo would also be tricky depending on the mobo, and the hdd won't be heard if it's a 2.5" drive. Even a suspended samsung/wd/raptor will be difficult to hear if the panel layout is anything like the p180.
There are many different ways to mount hard drive inside a case, mounting it up front as close to the user is possible is never a good choice. If you believe that a suspended samsung/wd/raptor in a case like P180 is inaudible you are sorely mistaken, the idle noise of harddrives inside P180 is clearly heard, although it is muted. I know it, and that's why I believe the hard drives should be hidden inside the case, not put as close to the front as possible. In fact I think it would have been great if Antec switched location of harddrives and fan in P180. 5 Volted fan is much less audible from the front than idle noise of the hard drive.

If you want to talk about 2.5 hard drives, they are also clearly audible. Well, at least two platter ones. I can clearly hear my 80Gb scorpio in my laptop. It's possible that one platter drives are significantly quiter, I don't know. The only difference is that 2.5 HDDs do not require active cooling.

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Damn I'm glad I held off on buying a HTPC case, I'll definately be waiting for this one! - I couldnt be happier with my P180 and this uses similar ideas.
Antec does it again 8)

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:09 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:If you want to talk about 2.5 hard drives, they are also clearly audible. Well, at least two platter ones. I can clearly hear my 80Gb scorpio in my laptop. It's possible that one platter drives are significantly quiter, I don't know. The only difference is that 2.5 HDDs do not require active cooling.
A 2.5" drive may be audible in a laptop or even hard mounted in a standard PC case, but I find it hard to believe that even a particularly noisy 2.5" dual platter drive is audible at 1m if some effort is made to block its noise. That's really easy to do if you've got a 3.5" or 5.25" drive to fit it in, stick the drive in a Silentdrive enclosure, or suspend it and pack some sound damping material around it. You don't have to worry about heat and I think that'll definitely reduce the idle noise to under the level of a 5v fan. If that doesn't silence it then moving it a little deeper into the case isn't going to do the trick either.