Wireless is the sound of silence ...

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fingers

Wireless is the sound of silence ...

Post by fingers » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:28 am

A silent PC is the dream, but how about if you could tuck your noisey pc away and still enjoy complete silence ..? Only problem with this is all the wires!

"Demonstrations include the industry's first wireless DVI/HDMI equivalent; ultra-low latency wireless HD gaming between an Xbox 360 and a HDTV; wireless PC to HDTV Flat Panel connections;" link here

Add wireless USB2.0 into the equation and now you can put your PC in the understairs cuboard and have the Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor/DVD-RW on the desk only.

Solved 8)

What do you guys think?

djnotepad

Post by djnotepad » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:34 am

this would be frickin awesome. i wonder how well dvd-rw writing would be across wireless though...

fingers

Post by fingers » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:07 am

The Belkin wireless USB hub was displayed accessing a USB HDD from a laptop from what I remember reading so I think it should be ok burning dvds if a little slower than an IDE drive.

The beauty is you will be able to make a box that houses the wireless DVI reciever, wireless USB hub, DVD-RW, wireless mouse/keyboard reciever, all in one tidy, small and silent enclosure that will screw under your desk leaving you with not only a silent but also very tidy almost wirefree setup!

Also with dual monitor on wireless you can have it linked to your TV also for the ultimate media center :)

It's the dream 8)

fingers

Post by fingers » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:11 am

A little edit to my previous post.

Using bluetooth for the mouse and keyboard would remove the need for any bulky recievers ;) and if the wirless box for the monitor plugs directly into the back of it that would further reduce the clutter, you would beable to drop the usb hub and external DVD-RW in the desk draw and have only the monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard on the desk ;) awesome :D

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:03 pm

Yeah, and the reciver was in a size and shape of a Mac mini, it included a built in DVD-RW and USB hubs. I would pay up to $300 if such a thing existed.

Linus

Post by Linus » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:43 pm

fingers wrote:Using bluetooth for the mouse and keyboard would remove the need for any bulky recievers ;) and if the wirless box for the monitor plugs directly into the back of it that would further reduce the clutter, you would beable to drop the usb hub and external DVD-RW in the desk draw and have only the monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard on the desk ;) awesome :D
I've achieved much of this in my current machine - see Small & Flexible: Back-of-LCD variable power consumption. Granted, some might want a higher-powered CPU, but it has a small desk footprint and I'm going wireless with as many things as possible to eliminate clutter. Very quiet unless I overclock the CPU.

andre.gagnon

Removing the sound, and keeping the wires (quick solution)

Post by andre.gagnon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:33 pm

Before I build my first quiet PC, or even knew it was possible, I came down with a disabling case of tinnitus. I needed a solution, fast, or I was going to lose my mind with the PC noise. Using some yankee ingenuity, I got extension cables for VGA, PS/2, USB, Audio, and Joystick. I cut a 2"x2" hole in the sheetrock of a wall of a neighboring walk-in closet. I stuck the noisy PC in there, ran the cables through wall up on to my desk, plugged the remaining hole space with damping material and voila, a quiet computing environment.

Yes, it was inconvenient run into the closet to put in CDs, but the quiet was well worth it. It's a quick and dirty solution to getting the noisemaker away from the human.

BTW, I think it's a joke that the *modern" game consoles: ps-2, xbox, xbox 360, make so much noise. It's a crime against the consumer.

fingers

Re: Removing the sound, and keeping the wires (quick solutio

Post by fingers » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:21 am

ImageImage

I have just found a wireless VGA adapter with keyboard and mouse pass through and Audio!! No USB though which is a shame ... a DVI/USB/Audio version is what is needed !! http://grandtec.com/wirelessVGA.htm

fingers

Post by fingers » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:38 am

Even better :shock: ...

Link

The dongle plugs into your monitor/projector and uses Wireless 802.11 b/g to transmit the signal from any PC over a wireless network!

It's stated at $300USD which isn't to bad :D

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:58 am

Both of them only go up to 1024 x 768 resolution :?

limee

Post by limee » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:09 am

What?? Ludicrous! Have fun with your cancer creating machines...I'm off to my land of wires 8) (needs a tinfoil hat smiley)

spolitta

Re: Removing the sound, and keeping the wires (quick solutio

Post by spolitta » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:52 am

fingers wrote:ImageImage

I have just found a wireless VGA adapter with keyboard and mouse pass through and Audio!! No USB though which is a shame ... a DVI/USB/Audio version is what is needed !! http://grandtec.com/wirelessVGA.htm

This sound of wireless is expensive.

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:29 am

Better than wireless might be using Cat5 cable for several reasons:
1)the devices to allow you to extend VGA, Audio, USB, DVI, FW, etc are already available
2)using CAT5 is cheaper than using wireless
3)wired signals are faster (meaning you can use higher resolutions) and more reliable than wireless.
The only downside is that you have to have one or two network cables running up to your desk, but overall i think its still a better solution