GlobalWin NCB 120mm vs Yate Loon low speed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

GlobalWin NCB 120mm vs Yate Loon low speed

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:31 am

Greetings,

I've got one GlobalWin NCB 1202512L 120mm fan, and one Yate Loon D12SL-12 120mm fan:

The GlobalWin NCB is a bit quieter than the Yate Loon low speed at all voltages (12, 7, and 5). The NCB also blows a touch less air, and while it does start at 5v, it is a near thing -- it takes about 3-5 seconds to come up to speed. But it is very quiet -- with only occasional bearing noises. These are quite soft and really depend on the orientation and in reaction to handling it. The Yate Loon is a touch more consistent in what you hear: it is very smooth sounding. The GlobalWin NCB is only a bit less smooth, and slightly lower pitched. At 5v, the GlobalWin probably is close to it's rated 19dBA -- it is very quiet!

The NCB at 5v only blows a small amount of air, however -- it might be worth running it this way in the front of a case, to help move air over the HD's, say, but it would probably not be adequate as the only exhaust fan in all but the coolest systems.

At 12v, the YL is rated at 1350RPM, and judging by the difference in the pitch of the sound, I'd say that the NCB turns 150-200RPM slower at 12v. At 5v a very rough guesstimate would be 500-600RPM for the Yate Loon, and 400-500RPM for the GlobalWin NCB (New Century Bearing).

This Yate Loon has smaller, round support struts than the other YL's I have seen, and the blades have more sweep, have sharper leading edges w/ a radius on the leading corner, and are thinner, too. The NCB fan's blades are broader and have a larger gap at the outer edge. (See pictures)

They both have closed corners -- though the GlobalWin NCB has a bit more flange exposed.

I don't have a Nexus on hand to comapre to, but the GlobalWin NCB would likely give it a run for it -- and it costs about half as much, and has a claimed lifespan of 80,000 hours. It has just a 3-pin connector.

One wonders what the GlobalWin NCB would sound like if it had the thinner blades and radiused corners, and thinner struts that the Yate Loon has?
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

GHz

Post by GHz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:27 am

Thanks, I'm glad to hear another member also coming to the same conclusions about the GlobalWin fan. It's a really quiet fan for cheap. With a few minor revisions it could easily be a Nexus-beater IMHO.

len509

Post by len509 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:11 pm

NeilBlanchard, thanks for your reveiw. According to the below vendors, the Globalwin is rated at 1300 rpm. It costs a bit more than the YL, but not much. Both companies have similar prices after shipping is added. pcToys does offer free shipping overs $20, it will be sent USPS 1st Class.

pcToys
Coolerguys

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:40 am

Hello Len,

I bought both the Yate Loon and the Global Win NCB from CoolerGuys, and they were the same cost ($7.95ea) and I paid only about $5 total for shipping. They have a "best cost" option, which in my case was USPS -- the total was a tad over $21 for both fans, shipped. They arrive in fine condition about 3 days later; though the packing could have been a bit better.

Both were in a padded envelope; the GlobalWin was in it's plastic and cardboard retail packaging, and the Yate Loon was "loose" inside a plastic zipper-bag. I would have prefered some additional bubble pack, and/or some additional cardboard to protect things -- but it did work fine as it was.

edlight1

Post by edlight1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm

Can you run a Yate and a GW pointing up and tell me if they are happy and don't vibrate any extra? Thanks much.

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Can you run a Yate and a GW pointing up and tell me if they are happy and don't vibrate any extra? Thanks much.
I happened to have a new Yate-Loon D12SL-12 on my desk, and ran it in various orientations. I can't tell any difference in sound and vibration up/down/vertical at all.

One thing I did notice is that the fan did slow down a little when blowing in the down direction. It also consumed a little more current. So I would assume this loads the fan a little more, and probably is not as "good" for it as other orientations.

At least based on this simple experiment, the YL seems fine pointing up.

edlight1

Post by edlight1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Thanks, TomZ