Shuttle introduces new X100 SFF

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jamesbundy

Shuttle introduces new X100 SFF

Post by jamesbundy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:35 am

Shuttle introduces new X100 SFF:

read about it @ reghardware

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Pretty interesting. Dunno why, but it kind of reminds me of a video game console more than a PC. ;)

But the specs sound good. MXM graphics too, wonder how possible it would be to cram a high-end MXM video card in there? I'd assuming if one could power and cool it, this would be very easy.

moritz

Post by moritz » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:42 pm

Sounds like a laptop in a SFF case. That's okay, I guess.

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:17 pm

moritz wrote:Sounds like a laptop in a SFF case. That's okay, I guess.
Yeah, and it probably won't cost less than a laptop either. Like an Asus A6J with 3.5" HD and without display.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:10 pm

frostedflakes wrote:Pretty interesting. Dunno why, but it kind of reminds me of a video game console more than a PC. ;)
I agree... Especially with that accent on the right side of the machine that goes from the front to the top, gives it the classic Nintendo Entertainment System look...

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:57 pm

I am guessing tho that they use a normal 3.5 HDD since it is 200gigs? that is gonna be the onlything making noise unless their is a small fan.

still kinda neat for HTPC

~RaNDoM

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:31 pm

PC Pro magazine here in the UK has a preview of the X100 in this month's edition.

I don't have the mag here with me at the moment but here are the main points:

Price: £850 (€ 1,250). Ouch.

It has one internal fan and the picture of the heatsink/fan combi reminded me somewhat of a graphics card cooler!

The preview mentioned that apparently the production models will have black casing and not the silver seen in prototypes (if true, I wonder is this perhaps because lots of the new LCD TVs have black casings?).

Also reviewed was a VIIV pc using this rather ugly case. The Shuttle was apparently a little louder, mainly due to the 3.5" disk in the X100 vs the 2.5" disk in the VIIV pc. The review did say that both were quiet enough so that they wouldn't be noticeable in your living room. Make of that remark what you will.

I'm pretty disappointed with the pricing - rather more than I was hoping for and I'm not entirely sure if that includes taxes either. Puts it out of my budget as I was expecting something closer to £5-600, similar to the Mac Mini.

I quite like the look of this little beastie but it only seems to be available in Korea:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-10 ... er+PC.html

Hopefully we'll see devices like this arrive or for other manufacturers produce something similar to X100 but a bit cheaper.

REMF

Post by REMF » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:47 am

let's see how it holds up against the LC19 with a 35W X2 3800+ and a C61 nividia motherboard chipset.................