Bad, SilentMaxx, Bad!!!

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:17 am

Tibors wrote:
mattthemuppet wrote:so by that measure you should really only by products from distributors that are guaranteed not to go out of business within the warranty period of the product? That requires far more crystalball gazing than I'm capable of.
You always run that risk with smaller companies/brands. If you really think that is a problem and you want to minimise the risk, then you should only buy products from large global brands. They usually sell their products through fully owned subsidiaries in stead of small independend importers. The chance that they go out of business is much lower (but still not zero).

Compare Edwoods case to people who bought an extended three year warranty from ARM systems. Then ARM went out of business, so it doesn't honour the warranties anymore. Is that fraud? No.

Now take a fictional ARM customer who had just sent his system back to ARM in the week they went out of business. That's tough luck, because he looses his system. (Yes, that is how a chapter 7 bankruptcy works.) Now try to imagine how much success that fictional customer will have complaining to Evercase (the manufacturer of the cases ARM used), that he wants his system back. At best he will get a polite reply that it is not their problem, but more likely his e-mail will just be deleted.
Yes, but imagine if ARM still distributes and has their products resold with another company.

You think many people that were screwed originally flock to the new reseller to buy ARM products?

-Ed

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:48 am

Edwood wrote:Yes, but imagine if ARM still distributes and has their products resold with another company.

You think many people that were screwed originally flock to the new reseller to buy ARM products?

-Ed
Are you deliberately misunderstanding what we try to tell you?

To take your response to my example: ARM is the party that went out of business permantly, like the US distributor of Silentmaxx. Evercase is still in business, like Silentmaxx is. Now nobody is crying not to buy Evercase cases because ARM went out of business, is it?

Simple Question: Who did you send your PSU to?
Simple Answer: Some US company.
Did Silentmaxx get your PSU? No.

If you have a problem with your PSU disappearing when that US company went bankrupt, then you should contact your congressman to try and change the US law regarding bankruptcies.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:15 pm

Tibors wrote:
Edwood wrote:Yes, but imagine if ARM still distributes and has their products resold with another company.

-Ed
Are you deliberately misunderstanding what we try to tell you?

To take your response to my example: ARM is the party that went out of business permantly, like the US distributor of Silentmaxx. Evercase is still in business, like Silentmaxx is. Now nobody is crying not to buy Evercase cases because ARM went out of business, is it?

Simple Question: Who did you send your PSU to?
Simple Answer: Some US company.
Did Silentmaxx get your PSU? No.

If you have a problem with your PSU disappearing when that US company went bankrupt, then you should contact your congressman to try and change the US law regarding bankruptcies.
Are you deliberately trying to justify SilentMaxx's dealings in the US?

They can hide behind a 3rd party bankruptcy all they want.

I understand the issue. And they DID take advantage of it.

In the end it doesn't matter, I WON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM SILENTMAXX EVER AGAIN!

You can argue semantics and law all you want, bub. I'm not going to argue about it anymore.

You want to argue for the sake of arguing, there are other forums for that.

-Ed

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:19 pm

Edwood wrote:I understand the issue.
You obviously don't.
Edwood wrote:Are you deliberately trying to justify SilentMaxx's dealings in the US?
Silentmaxx never had any dealings in the US. That is the part you don't want to understand.

The problem is not that you won't ever buy products from Silentmaxx again. The problem is you advise others not to buy them on false grounds. And every time a Silentmaxx product crops up on SPCR you repeat this story.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Tibors wrote:
Edwood wrote:I understand the issue.
You obviously don't.
Edwood wrote:Are you deliberately trying to justify SilentMaxx's dealings in the US?
Silentmaxx never had any dealings in the US. That is the part you don't want to understand.

The problem is not that you won't ever buy products from Silentmaxx again. The problem is you advise others not to buy them on false grounds. And every time a Silentmaxx product crops up on SPCR you repeat this story.
You're just sounding like a SilentMaxx Fanboy. :rolleyes:

-Ed

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:21 pm

Oh, you're calling names now :roll:

Actually I'm not a fan of Silentmaxx. They don't sell anything I can use.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Tibors wrote:Oh, you're calling names now :roll:

Actually I'm not a fan of Silentmaxx. They don't sell anything I can use.
Again, you argue useless semantics that only point to you liking to argue for the sake of arguing, and throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The point is a SilentMaxx product was offered for sale, whether it be offered indirectly or directly is besides the point. It failed. And the company behind the actual product did not own up to it.

Instead they open up shop with another third party, this time Quiet PC.

Here it is, openly listed in an article here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article312-page1.html

As well as on Quiet PC's website:
http://www.quietpcusa.com/

They list themselves as an "exclusive distributer".

The final point is that a buyer should then be careful when buying from a company that has past history of failed products that were not covered by a warranty. And should then consider a "real" company like Antec who does have a domestic corporate presence, and when it offered a product that did have problems, did in fact do the right thing, and honor their warranties.

SilentMaxx's products should considered with caution if bought outside of Germany then. Not sure how the laws are in the EU, but obviously, companies like SilentMaxx can get away with having their products sold here with no warranty coverage.

-Ed

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:07 pm

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm arguing for the fact that on SPCR it is the habit to make sensible statements that are based on logic.

Your personal cruisade against Silentmaxx is not based on logic, but on emotion. You dealt with a company. They went out of business, which caused a problem for you. Now you are blaming their supplier for your problem. That is not logical.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:04 pm

Tibors wrote:I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm arguing for the fact that on SPCR it is the habit to make sensible statements that are based on logic.

Your personal cruisade against Silentmaxx is not based on logic, but on emotion. You dealt with a company. They went out of business, which caused a problem for you. Now you are blaming their supplier for your problem. That is not logical.
So yes, you are saying that a SilentMaxx products sold through a distributor is not fully supported or warrantied through SilentMaxx, and is only warrantied by the reseller.

I get your point. So unless you have something useful to say other than that, move on, buddy.

-Ed

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:16 am

Chill, both of you, or this gets locked.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:12 am

Edwood wrote:So yes, you are saying that a SilentMaxx products sold through a distributor is not fully supported or warrantied through SilentMaxx, and is only warrantied by the reseller.
Yes, but that is not something special for Silentmaxx. That is true for most things you can buy that are manufactured abroad. Normally you don't notice that, because it is pretty rare that a distributor goes out of business and you need the warranty at the same time.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:20 am

Tibors wrote:
Edwood wrote:So yes, you are saying that a SilentMaxx products sold through a distributor is not fully supported or warrantied through SilentMaxx, and is only warrantied by the reseller.
Yes, but that is not something special for Silentmaxx. That is true for most things you can buy that are manufactured abroad. Normally you don't notice that, because it is pretty rare that a distributor goes out of business and you need the warranty at the same time.
And we keep repeating ourselves here...

Then let this be a lesson to pay closer attention to the company that originally sells the product you are buying from. (in SilentMaxx's case, as in many PSU manufacturers, they rebadge and manufacture from an OEM).

In the case of SilentMaxx, they already have a history where their distributor went bankrupt, and then people were left with a non working product with a useless warranty.

So buyer beware.

I have already contacted Quiet PC, the current distributor for SilentMaxx, and asked them what their warranty policy is. I'm curious as to how they handle Warranty issues with SilentMaxx Products.

-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Chill, both of you, or this gets locked.
Sorry if I came off harsh, but I have little tolerance for someone crapping in a thread and basically trying to negate the fact that people got screwed by a company, whether it be indirectly, the end result is the same.

People bought a product that failed within a warranty period, and it was never repaired or replaced.

Whether or not a company is legally permitted to not honor warranties due to distribution deal or rights, does not console the people that are left with a large paperweight, or in my case, not even a paperweight (they took posession of my RMA return, and they went belly up.)

Tibors, you are arguing semantics for the sake of "being right" and the "fun" of arguing.

Trying to steer the conversation back on course, but I see that you just won't let it go.

Thanks,
-Ed

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:33 am

Edwood wrote:they already have a history where their distributor went bankrupt,
This does not influence the chance the current distributor goes out of business, so it is irrelevant.
Edwood wrote:I have already contacted Quiet PC, the current distributor for SilentMaxx, and asked them what their warranty policy is.
And in the hypothetical case they go out of business, their warranty policy will be non-existant, because the company does not exist anymore then.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:15 am

Tibors wrote:
Edwood wrote:they already have a history where their distributor went bankrupt,
This does not influence the chance the current distributor goes out of business, so it is irrelevant.
Edwood wrote:I have already contacted Quiet PC, the current distributor for SilentMaxx, and asked them what their warranty policy is.
And in the hypothetical case they go out of business, their warranty policy will be non-existant, because the company does not exist anymore then.
Since you are obviously just trying to "win the argument", I will repost the essential point of this thread, in hopes that this thread can go back on topic.

People bought a product that failed within a warranty period, and it was never repaired or replaced.

Whether or not a company is legally permitted to not honor warranties due to distribution deal or rights, does not console the people that are left with a large paperweight, or in my case, not even a paperweight (they took posession of my RMA return, and they went belly up.)

Tibors, you are arguing semantics for the sake of "being right" and the "fun" of arguing.

Trying to steer the conversation back on course, but I see that you just won't let it go.

Thanks,
-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:20 am

jaganath wrote:In before the lock. :D
Glad to see we can help you increase your post count. :roll:

-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:25 am

Seriously, I know I'm not the only one to be burned by the defective SilentMaxx proSilence PSU's.

Are all of you perfectly OK with having a Null and Void warranty due to bankruptcy, and then SilentMaxx shows up with a new distributor, but you have still have (or don't have) an expensive paperweight? SilentMaxx themselves refuses to RMA, let alone return an email (because they are not a domestic company, they deal by proxy).

Would you still buy a SilentMaxx product?

-Ed

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:19 am

Ed, hopefully this post will put this thread out of its misery (and prevent recurrence of redundant posting):

1) Nothing you say on SPCR will cause Silentmaxx to give you a new PSU.

2) SPCR has nothing to do with Silentmaxx and does not recommend any of their products (although it has reviewed some of them). I don't see what else you want SPCR to do about it.

3) Fanless PSU's are at increased risk of failure than normal PSU's, either through thermal overload or shortened life of electrical components due to high operating temps. This is a risk you take when you buy a fanless PSU.

4) Spamming SPCR with further complaints about Silentmaxx will only generate further bad feeling and negative responses. Ergo, it is best to refrain from such action.

This is my last post in this thread, and hopefully it will be the last post in the thread.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:40 am

Edwood wrote:
jaganath wrote:In before the lock. :D
Glad to see we can help you increase your post count. :roll:

-Ed
Nah, that BS gets deleted by the poor, overworked mod. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:44 am

jaganath wrote: This is my last post in this thread, and hopefully it will be the last post in the thread.
Not quite. I get the last word. :)

What part of "chill guys" do you folks not understand? If you want to keep it up, use the PMs or email off board.

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed with this one. Things typically stay on track better around here.

This thread is now locked.