Aerocool 140 mm Streamliner compatibility?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Aerocool 140 mm Streamliner compatibility?

Post by Tzupy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:41 am

This new 140 mm fan by Aerocool, rated at 54.7 cfm at ~1000 rpm, is supplied with an 120 mm adapter. I wonder if it would be compatible with the P180 case and with the Thermalright XP/SI-120? A new PC might be built soon and I hope to use the 140 mm Streamliner with the parts mentioned above.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:22 pm

The 140 Streamliner ought to be a great fan. On a Heatsink? I guess if the mobo does not have a vid card to close it should clear. This bad boy with all those blades could be super slowed to 800rpm,with the big deal being where to mount it. A full 140mm hole is better than funneling to a 120mm hole,but the difference should be minor with a low rpm fan. These also can be great for upgrading a PSU fan

If Space is available,I could see one on a Thermalright sucking the air FROM the heatsink and blowing it into a door/side duct,the duct would have louvers,or an added on elbow or plenum box to deflect the exhaust air..and soundwaves,to the rear. The quicker the heat is sent out of the case,the better.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:31 pm

I'd love to see some tests done with the giant Aerocools. Can it startup at 500rpm? 700rpm,what CFM,and db numbers would result? What happens when one is lashed to a Ninja...is that even possible?

Aerocool seems to be getting some good ideas,they have a Heatsink I really like,and a case that's big,with a nifty front LCD panel. Hope they keep up the creativity. 8)

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:54 am

I looked at the existing space in my SLK3000B, around the back 120 mm fan. Top, bottom and right there should be just enough space for a 140 mm fan, but not to the left. The case door is closer than 10 mm (about 6 mm I think), so I wouldn't be able to close the door.
I suppose other Antec cases have the same tight fit, I hoped to hear something about the P180 on this matter.

Infidel

Post by Infidel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm seriously thinking about drilling a hole in the side of my desk and mounting this as an exaust fan. The only thing slowing me down is the lack of news about it. Is it quiet?

Honny

Post by Honny » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:46 am

This fan is not that quiet as i expexted, i can say that there is no audible bearing and motor noise, but there is quite big aerodinamic noise, too big for 1000rpm fan. I think they did some mistakes in construction of the fan. The fan thickness is only 2 cm, because they want to get with the fan adaptor 2,5 cm thickness together. And because of this, the fan bledes are only 0,9 cm high, standard 2,5 cm thick fan blades have about 1,4 cm. The inner side of the frame is not "open" enough for intake air. Standard fan have four supports that are holding the fan hub in the center, but this one has eight supports. I dont know why, but noise effect of these 8 supports is simmilar to fan grill placed behind the fan. I cut out the redundant four supports,clean sharp edges, but it didnt help much. It seems to mee, like most of the airflow noise is comming from the end of fan blades, and it is much bigger noise than from the turbine fan, which was quite silent. When i was testing it, at completely quiet room, plugged to PSU with stopped fan, this kind of noise was still audible at more than 2 meters from the streamliner fan running at 12V. It is not so bad in closed computer case, but still you can hear it, when rise the voltage from 6 to 12 V. They say, that the fan starts at 10,2 V, mine starts at 10,6 V. I didnt try it to mount on my SI-120 yet, but i think that will be possible, but how effectvive ?. Also the airflow seems to me smaller than the stated value, but it is maybe because low static pressure of this fan.
Anyway it's not so bad fan, i buy it for my special purpose, and it's fine for that with lower voltage, only the airflow noise could be smaller.
P.S. sorry for my bad english.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:54 am

Thanks for the review Honny.

I was about to buy one of these fans to install in a P180 but not after your advice.

Edit: I don't think it's going to fit inside the lower PSU chamber in the P180 either.

notareal

Post by notareal » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:11 am

Tzupy wrote:I looked at the existing space in my SLK3000B, around the back 120 mm fan. Top, bottom and right there should be just enough space for a 140 mm fan, but not to the left. The case door is closer than 10 mm (about 6 mm I think), so I wouldn't be able to close the door.
I suppose other Antec cases have the same tight fit, I hoped to hear something about the P180 on this matter.
There was no room to 140 mm fan at the Antec P150. I did made a simple adapter box from some carpet, as for that my P150 did have enough room for. The adapter had to be asymmetric to allow me to close the left side door.

Howard

Post by Howard » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:33 am

I hear the fan blades are the exact same size as in 120mm fans. Is this true?

mariosimas

Post by mariosimas » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:13 pm

here you have one on mine TT Armor:

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:00 pm

mariosimas wrote:here you have one on mine TT Armor:
How would you rate the noise?

mariosimas

Post by mariosimas » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:37 am

amjedm wrote:
mariosimas wrote:here you have one on mine TT Armor:
How would you rate the noise?
I have it at 6V. The review made by Honny is very precise.