s939 heatsinks and backplates

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hauser

s939 heatsinks and backplates

Post by Hauser » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:58 pm

I'm looking to replace the stock cooler on my A64 3000+. Right now, I'm still deciding between Thermalright XP-90 + Nexus 92mm and the Zalman CNPS7000b alcu.

Feel free to convince me to go one way or another, but the main questions I have concern backplates with s939 mobos.

I don't really like the idea of removing the mobo from the case to install a backplate. I know that the CNPS7000b comes with and requires one for s939 mobos. So...
- Do s939 mobos already come with a backplate? I have a MSI K8N Neo4-F.
- Does the XP-90 require a backplate?

Thanks in advance.

arrikhan

Re: s939 heatsinks and backplates

Post by arrikhan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:36 pm

Hauser wrote:I'm looking to replace the stock cooler on my A64 3000+. Right now, I'm still deciding between Thermalright XP-90 + Nexus 92mm and the Zalman CNPS7000b alcu.

Feel free to convince me to go one way or another, but the main questions I have concern backplates with s939 mobos.

I don't really like the idea of removing the mobo from the case to install a backplate. I know that the CNPS7000b comes with and requires one for s939 mobos. So...
- Do s939 mobos already come with a backplate? I have a MSI K8N Neo4-F.
- Does the XP-90 require a backplate?

Thanks in advance.
I recenently built a mobo (asus mATX) that came pre-installed with a backplate to suport the bracket that fits the stock heatsink/fan combo. You might find you already have one :)

I replaced it with the one that came with the Zalman CNPS7000b alcu I installed without any issues and it does the job. I can't convince you between the two, as the XP-90 won't fit in my micro case (see signature for HTPC build) so I didn't have to make the decision personally.

I'd assume yours would come with a backplate if you have a stock cooler/heatsink for your AMD64 3000+

Arrikhan

Hauser

Post by Hauser » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:47 pm

arrikhan wrote: I'd assume yours would come with a backplate if you have a stock cooler/heatsink for your AMD64 3000+
Arrikhan
I checked in the manual for my mobo and it indeed mentioned a backplate to be installed. The thing is, I built my computer myself and I could not remember doing such a thing. Then I recalled reading something about NCIX preinstalling backplates for the mobos they sell, though I'm not sure why. It's not as if screwing on the backplate can be harder than installing the CPU+HS.

So that mystery is solved :) Hopefully, whether I get the cnps7000b or the xp-90, I don't have to remove my mobo and swap backplates. Does anyone know if this will work?

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:36 am

Hauser wrote:I checked in the manual for my mobo and it indeed mentioned a backplate to be installed. The thing is, I built my computer myself and I could not remember doing such a thing. Then I recalled reading something about NCIX preinstalling backplates for the mobos they sell, though I'm not sure why. It's not as if screwing on the backplate can be harder than installing the CPU+HS.

So that mystery is solved :) Hopefully, whether I get the cnps7000b or the xp-90, I don't have to remove my mobo and swap backplates. Does anyone know if this will work?
Yup, most mobo's I've seen come with them pre-attached. Note that with the cpns7000b alcu, I think there are height differences that need to be taken into account to fit the heatsink just right, as well as different screws (they call them nippples on the zalman! :shock: ) so I'm assuming you will have to change them no matter which one you choose. Do note though.. they are the simplest thing to replace on the mobo!

Regards,

Arrikhan

diver

Post by diver » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:32 am

Get the XP-90. It will outperform the Zalman 7000 and make less noise at the same time. Try the stock backplate. If the mount for the cooler attaches flush and everything looks good, go with it. Note that some backplates can slide out of position when the screws are removed.

It is also possible to change backplates without completely removing the MoBo. Just unscrew it and tilt it up. Most of those little connectors will not have to come off. I really don't like removing my MoBo either, but I won't let it stop me from doing anything.

Hauser

Post by Hauser » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:32 am

diver wrote:Get the XP-90. It will outperform the Zalman 7000 and make less noise at the same time.
Looking at the review for the XP-90, it looks like the difference between a 7000b and a XP-90+Nexus is about 2 degrees at the same noise level.

Cost isn't much an issue, they're about the same price.

There's also the fact that I cuold easily replace the fan on an XP-90 if it failed or started being noisy.

Though I don't like the fact that I couldn't up the speed of a Nexus beyond its regular 12v cooling spec. So, If my A64 3000+ Venice with stock cooling at 12v idles at around 34 degrees and is about 42 degrees at load, what temperatures can I expect from an XP-90+Nexus 92mm?
It is also possible to change backplates without completely removing the MoBo. Just unscrew it and tilt it up. Most of those little connectors will not have to come off. I really don't like removing my MoBo either, but I won't let it stop me from doing anything.
Sounds like that would work for removing the backplate, but not putting a new one. It'd be hard to line it up with the screw holes when you can only move it by tilting the case and having it slide around, heh.