AS5 - AMD 64 X2 - asus a8v - njnja plus

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kalel83

AS5 - AMD 64 X2 - asus a8v - njnja plus

Post by Kalel83 » Sat May 06, 2006 3:34 pm

i'm having question about how much thermal paste to apply on, on the artic silver page it says place small ammount in center and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it around, yet the manual for the amd cpu says spread it over the whole surface. HOW much thermal paste between the 3800+ xp and the ninja plusl?

I just bought a AMd 64 x2 3800+, 2 gigs of Corsair XMS, Asus A8v. tried beta bios 221, now going to try 219 bios to see what happens/// update:: crashes on 219 bios as well

it's crashing. i think it may be the thermal compound. windows loads. runs fine. halflife 2 will crash, sometimes at the scene at the menu, then once i got through the first half of the begenning in the 1984 district

i am confused. i bought top of the line. i'm running a 9800 pro with stock fan from sapphire. win xp sp2, with the new 2005 amd driver. lastest via, ati, onboard audio drivers. i played oblivion and it ran fine, untill i installed photoshop and the thing wouldn't boot windows. then i reinstalled a buncha times. then it was crashing in windows. i installed a rear case fan in my coolermaster 532 and wiggled the cpu ninja heatsink on the cpu in case it would spread the artic silver around.

advice please.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat May 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Greetings,

I seriously doubt it is the thermal paste that is causing it to crash: try bumping up the RAM voltage? Also, I would run Prime95 from the Ultimate Boot CD. If it can do this for a while (1-2 hours?) without any errors, then it is most likely a Windows issue.

FWIW, I use just a little paste, and then spread it thin (and as evenly as possible) over the whole surface.

Do you have any errors in the Device Manager? Did you install the latest CPU driver from AMD? Also, I definitely would NOT install any beta BIOS until you have things ironed out...
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sat May 06, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sat May 06, 2006 5:01 pm

This is unlikely to be a CPU TIM issue.

As for which instructions to follow, use the Arctic Silver instructions (a rice-grain-sized blob in the center of the CPU). The AMD instructions are for a more generic greasy TIM; AS5 has lower viscosity than most and spreads well with just a bit of pressure.

Kalel83

Post by Kalel83 » Sat May 06, 2006 7:26 pm

set ddr from 2.6, to 2.7, to 2.8. crashed all three times. it crashes when there is alot of visual stuff, like in hl2 when she is being teleported to her father, if i look at the power socket flying off the wall, it crashes. ..
set ddr memory speeds from 200, to 266, to 333, to 400 and crashes all the same. return the memory?

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sat May 06, 2006 10:37 pm

Run the ultimatebootcd (link above) and select F2 "Mainboard tools" then run either of the Memtest utilities. If your system can complete at least one pass of the tests (I'd go for two) without errors then you can try some of the other tests.
If you get any errors during your memtest run, either your memory is bad or your timings are too fast.

As for TIM, I put about a two-rice-grain size blob right in the center of my two recent A64 builds and it squeezes out nicely to the edge. Any more than that and you're being wasteful.

Hope this helps.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun May 07, 2006 12:41 am

What sort of temps are you getting? If there is an issue with the contact between the CPU & the heatsink, the CPU temps will be higher than previously.

If the system became unstable after you installed Photoshop, it may be that you have malware on your system. Have you tried running Spybot or A/V software?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun May 07, 2006 1:33 am

it crashes when there is alot of visual stuff
Could be the PSU or graphics card.