Heatpipe cooler: Evercool Turbo2 VC-RHC

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BrianE

Heatpipe cooler: Evercool Turbo2 VC-RHC

Post by BrianE » Sat May 06, 2006 7:28 pm

http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/vc_rhc.htm

Has anyone tried or heard much about the Evercool Turbo2 yet?

I ran a search on this VGA cooler and only found a couple references to it, including a translated review (translated link). From what I read in it (compared to the V-1U, both AC coolers, and a few others), it performed quite well in both the noise and temperature departments. I haven't read the other reviews yet...

I think this looks like an interesting cooler. Some advantages I see are:

- single sided cooler with non-wraparound heatpipes don't take up both sides of the video card
- reasonably large cooling area
- solid screw-in mounting with wide VGA card compatibility list.
- possible candidate for fan removal or swap. The cooling fins are oriented front to back, so this may invite some creative passive/semi-passive use of this cooler once you remove the plastic shroud.

I came across the Turbo2 at a local store, where they were selling it for a reasonable sounding $29 Cdn, so it piqued my interest.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun May 07, 2006 1:19 am

diver

Post by diver » Sun May 07, 2006 6:29 pm

BrianE:

Thanks for the heads up on this topic. I have to put this one in the insufficient information category. It might be good, I just can't tell.

ATM I am considering the VF900 as the main suspect for cooling a 7600GT. The mounting system is excellent and it is easy to install. I may also try slowing down the stock fan with diodes. I don't game much, so if it is silent in 2D modes that should keep me happy for a while.

Another possibility is the Accelero X1. It is designed for the 6800 series. The 7600GT has the same holes, but I don't know if the Accelero will clear the capacitors at the end of the board. I can't seem to find if it has worked for anyone on the 7600GT. Anyone know?

Finally, I might wait for the Accelero S passive unit. It should be out the first week in June. I will be traveling for a while between now and then, so waiting is not that bad.

Pretty much everything else has something or other wrong with it for my application, even though some of them are clear winners for other applications.

So far as cost is concerned, it does not make all that much difference to me if the price is $30 or $50, but I can always use another $20 for my next bar tab :)

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun May 07, 2006 9:33 pm

Holy cow... my memory is slipping! :oops: I thought I saw a similar cooler at some point, but I thought it was just deja vu...

You're welcome diver.

andrewln

Post by andrewln » Sun May 07, 2006 10:46 pm

this cooler is pretty good...way better than the stock coolling fro eVGA 7600GT

without the fan spinning...40C at idle..compare to stock cooling (with fan spinning at half speed) 58C idle

I'm going to do some burn in test next

diver

Post by diver » Mon May 08, 2006 4:05 am

Another review:

http://www.sgoverclockers.com/modules.p ... tent&id=49

This time the VF700 is the winner.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Mon May 08, 2006 9:16 pm

andrewln wrote:this cooler is pretty good...way better than the stock coolling fro eVGA 7600GT

without the fan spinning...40C at idle..compare to stock cooling (with fan spinning at half speed) 58C idle

I'm going to do some burn in test next
Great, let us know how things go. :)
diver wrote:Another review:

http://www.sgoverclockers.com/modules.p ... tent&id=49

This time the VF700 is the winner.
Some really great pictures in that review, showing both the cooler without the shroud and a rare side profile type shot showing clearance.

The only thing is they don't run the fans (which are probably both 10mm) at the same speed. I don't know how much difference ~650 RPM makes for cooling and noise, but out of the box the Evercool runs slightly quieter, and hotter than the Zalman. The VF700 has always been good in the past though.