Mine or Ninja

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

markrb

Mine or Ninja

Post by markrb » Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

I am leaving water cooling as it has become just too much of a PITA.
So I am off for reasonable great cooling with reasonable noise levels.
I no longer overclock like I used to. I am running at 217fsb the rest of the settings at default for my X2 3800+.

Case is not an issue as I have a very wide Lian-Li case. I have at least 3 inches over the top of my 7800GT card.

Silent is not needed, but no hair dryers please.

I am thinking I couldn't go wrong with either, but looking for a push in the right direction.

As for a fan will the 120mm Yate Loon have enough cfm to work well or do I need something with more push?

Thanks,
Mark

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu May 11, 2006 6:37 pm

The Ninja is best targeted at "passive" cooling where the exhaust fan (and perhaps the PSU fan) provide the needed cooling air.

The Mine is best for active cooling, with a fan. If you have room, it works better with a 120mm fan than with the original 100mm fan.

The differences: the Ninja has widely spaced fins, the Mine closely spaced (hence better with active cooling). Also, mounting the fan on the Mine is as easy as falling off a log, whereas mounting a fan on the Ninja is a challenge for some folks; me for instance. :oops:

markrb

Post by markrb » Thu May 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Now to throw another and I promise the last I am considering the Tuniq tower.

It's about $5 more from what I have seen so far.
I know it's much heavier, which actually does concern me.

Thanks,
Mark

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Mon May 15, 2006 12:41 am

the Tuniq Tower 120 does not come with a backplate for the K8, I advise a METAL one, if you have a plastic one with your mobo, I would not dare mount it :)

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Tue May 16, 2006 9:43 pm

ModTheBox did a short review of the Scythe Mine. According to them, it's slightly better than the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu:

This is what they say about the noise:
The heatsink I replaced in this system with the Scythe MINE CPU Cooler was a still fairly new Zalman CNPS7000-CU. I wanted to see if I could improve on performance with similar or lesser noise levels.

At idle with the Zalman, Asus PC probe reported an essentially ambient temperature. Since it is impossible to reach lower than room temperature with any cooling solution short of phase-change, I couldn't have been happier. Under full load via Prime-95 torture testing, temperatures climbed to 40 degrees and held steady, which isn't too bad, considering that the fan speed is kept low via the motherboard's built in fan controller. With the Scythe MINE CPU Cooler installed, I read 29 degrees at idle and under smart fan control no earthshaking changes here. Under load and smart fan control, 39 degrees which is a staggering 1 degree improvement! Desperate to see if this heatsink was capable of more, I de-activated smart fan and went for broke and achieved exactly the same temperature. The fan when provided with a full 12V is rated to spin at 1500 RPM, which I can confirm using PC Probe. At this speed, the fan is barely audible over the rear exhaust and temperature remains a constant 39 degrees. It is difficult to draw a conclusion from these results which bares the question if the design is so effective that it does not require a powerful fan to remain steady at 39 degrees? Or is the design incapable of shedding more heat to the air than it does with a half-speed fan? Nonetheless, it suits my needs perfectly. Nearly noiseless and solid cooling even under 100% load, with a 9 degree over ambient temperature increase is nothing to sneeze at.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Tue May 16, 2006 11:50 pm

I think his ambient noise is too high to notice the difference, I found the Scythe 100mm fan to on par, noise wise, with a 120MM low noise papst (GLL).

I tested the Zalman 7000 here: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=224

look at the noise generation @ 12v versus the Papst 120MM.
50+dba vs ~38dBA.... so that little zalman is louder, a not just a bit :)

I can't see which CPU he's using and what speed/voltage, do you see it? what was the room temp?

TooNice

Post by TooNice » Fri May 26, 2006 1:13 pm

Just wondering, is the Scythe Mine going to be compatible with the Conroe?

I think the Mine might be the best choice for me. I like the idea that is is easier to setup (fan) than the Ninja, and if the 120mm fan is too high, I can fall back to the 100mm. Although it would be a shame since I already bought some 120mm Yate Loon.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Sat May 27, 2006 3:55 am

Core 2 Duo will be S775, and Mine fits S775, so yes :)

phrank82

Post by phrank82 » Tue May 30, 2006 8:40 am

A while back, you wrote, "The Mine is best for active cooling, with a fan. If you have room, it works better with a 120mm fan than with the original 100mm fan."

Wouldn't some of the air blown by a 120mm fan miss the Mine's heatsink, since the fan's blades are taller than the heatsink?

Howard

Post by Howard » Tue May 30, 2006 10:37 am

Mine fits both AM2 and LGA775, Ninja (currently) only fits LGA775.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue May 30, 2006 12:09 pm

phrank82 wrote:A while back, you wrote, "The Mine is best for active cooling, with a fan. If you have room, it works better with a 120mm fan than with the original 100mm fan."

Wouldn't some of the air blown by a 120mm fan miss the Mine's heatsink, since the fan's blades are taller than the heatsink?
That's pretty good theory. As a former engineer, I agree. But as an engineer, I also keep an eye on empirical data, and several EU reviews (including JMKE's Madshrimps) report that the Mine cools ~2C better with a 120mm fan. Data trumps theory every time. :D

gharkins

Post by gharkins » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:34 am

I prefer a bucket of water (mainly a 1 liter full filled with évian)

I apologise :)

ZeroR3D

Post by ZeroR3D » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:28 am

What would you guys suggest for a P180? We already know the Ninja fits superbly between the two rear fans, what would a Mine be like in there?

Nexworks

Post by Nexworks » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:26 pm

Sorry for bumping an older thread but id like to see an answer to ZeroR3D's question aswell. Im very interested in the Mine.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:30 pm

Nexworks wrote:Sorry for bumping an older thread but id like to see an answer to ZeroR3D's question aswell. Im very interested in the Mine.
The Mine is an excellent HSF. It points at the rear exhaust fan on most K8/AM2 mobos, which is the correct direction. If the Mine is what you really want, go get one; you won't be sorry.

SPCR is about low noise. It's hard to beat the noise of a fanless Ninja. The Ninja is also less expensive than the Mine. Neither is a major advantage; the Mine is affordable and quiet. The person you have to make happy is you. Go with your instincts. If you really prefer redheads, don't marry a blonde. :D

Nexworks

Post by Nexworks » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:25 am

Reason im considering the Mine is that it doesnt require a backplate to be installed, so the motherboard also requires no removal. Plus with the fan in the middle I dont have to worry about having fan fitting problems because of ram getting in the way etc. Also since I wouldnt need to install a backplate I can then get a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 which has a custom backplate cooling solution.