Does Undervolting Damage The CPU/Components/Etc?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

digitalfeed

Does Undervolting Damage The CPU/Components/Etc?

Post by digitalfeed » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:10 am

Hey all,

I tried searching for a thread about undervolting and if it causes damage to components but couldn't find anything, so I hope I don't flamed for not searching hard enough. :lol:

I've got a D820 and the P5LD2-VM and stumbled across a "manual" page within the bios that allows the user to set VCORE voltages. I was able to take VCORE off automatic and set it at 1.225 but I'm not sure if this does any damage or if it will affect stability.

BTW, when I using the provided software monitoring program, when it was on auto, the VCORE was averaging 1.30-1.34 (which was mid-way between the acceptable VCORE range of 1.25 - 1.40)

By changing it to 1.225 I'm not sure the system is accepting this range since the monitor averages the VCORE at around 1.24-1.28 and does not stay near 1.225.

Now, it seems that software may be seeing something different then what's actually set and maybe not monitoring it correctly or the CPU just fluctuates in power. At least that's what the trend seems to be. It's the first time I've ever seen a range for VCORE voltage instead of a set number.

Anyways, back on topic, does it affect anything? :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:16 am

No, but just make sure you check for stability.

Much more in-depth info can be found by searching, it's a subject that's been discussed many times. :)