Antec PSU emits noise. EDIT: just bought Seasonic s12 430w

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

wolfboy

Antec PSU emits noise. EDIT: just bought Seasonic s12 430w

Post by wolfboy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:38 pm

Ok, here's the deal. I bought an ANTEC smart power 2.0 400w PSU about a month ago to replace my crappy Raidmax because many reviews said it was solid. Anyway, after a couple weeks, it starts to emit this high pitched noise. I've read the threads here and I think it is "coil whine" though i'm not sure. I recorded the sound it makes and amplified it a little. Nonetheless, it's driving me up the wall and I've about had it.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22747075/PSU.wav.html

Now it does this right when I turn the system on and even while I do nothing. I noticed it makes the sound more while I move around the mouse. Anyway, I don't have the receipt anymore and I don't want to put my Raidmax back in because of overheating issues. What methods are there for me to fix this? Something about super glue but I couldn't find the threads.
Last edited by wolfboy on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jonjan

Post by jonjan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:15 pm

hi,

i had an antec Phantom 500watt that made a cycling buzzing. It would cycling on and off. Being silent and then grow in volume, and then get quieter... and then repeat. I think it was a defective unit and RMA'ed it

Jon
http://www.helpusall.com
"you can never win and you can never lose, because the game is always in-play" sp always do your best
"strive for stillness and urgent action, in accordance with your highest guidance"

mg2plus

Post by mg2plus » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:24 am

Same problem here. My Smart Power 2 450W started emmiting that high pitched tone the moment I turned it on. The tone had lower frequency than yours, but was easier to hear.

I must say that I am not satisfied with quality of Antec products. I bought Sonata 2 eight months ago (with SP2 450W PSU). The PSU was bad, and destroyed three graphic cards in row before I figured out it's a PSU problem.

My friend who is a reseller tells me that they have a high number of Antec PSU returned.

I sent it back, got a new one, and this one had two faults. First, it was assembled incorectly which caused the PSU aluminum case to bend, and because of this I couldn't screw one of the holes, and it emmited before mentioned high pitched noise.

I returned it back. Third luck.

wolfboy

Post by wolfboy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:03 pm

Yeah, if I can't find a solution, I'm probably gonna re-install my Raidmax...which I don't want to do, but the sound is grinding me to death.

edit: ok, I re-installed my old PSU and it's much louder, but the pitch is mostly gone. I still hear a slight ringing, though it's not as bad as before.

wolfboy

Post by wolfboy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:39 pm

Screw it, now I remember why I bought a new PSU in the first place. The damn thing felt like it would explode any second. Stupid Raidmax.

I broke down and ordered a new PSU (seasonic s12 430w). Antec gave me an obnoxiously irritating high pitched screech everytime I turned the damn thing on. Nonetheless, it will have to do for now while I wait for the new PSU to arrive as I'd rather listen to that then fear of an exploding computer. Seasonic...don't fail me!

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:41 pm

My Smart Power 2.0 500W is also moaning like a b!tch on drugs. Just got a Seasonic 380W, gonna replace it this weekend and see how it goes.

wolfboy

Post by wolfboy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:31 pm

Well I just installed the Seasonic...and it is friggin' sweet! It's very quiet and so far everythings working well. Upon opening the box, I could tell it was of higher quality then the Antec one just by the way they wrapped the wires. I hope it stays this way.

mattek

Post by mattek » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:08 pm

I got the same high pitched coil whine. But now the system wont even boot!

The system:
Antec Sonata II
ASUS premium mobo
2GB Ram
AMD 3700+ with zalman 120mm
7800GTX with zalman
2xADDA 120mm fans
3xSATA Samsung SP2504C

Please help!

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:21 pm

mattek wrote:I got the same high pitched coil whine. But now the system wont even boot!

The system:
Antec Sonata II
ASUS premium mobo
2GB Ram
AMD 3700+ with zalman 120mm
7800GTX with zalman
2xADDA 120mm fans
3xSATA Samsung SP2504C

Please help!
Did you overclock the system at all?

And what do you mean it won't boot? Do you mean it won't POST (powers up for a second and shuts down automatically, the fans will spin a little bit), or no power up at all?