Too hot to fold!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nici

Too hot to fold!

Post by nici » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:15 am

Anyone else have a similar problem? Even having a computer idle raises my room temp to 28°c, normally its 20-22°c. It is quite uncomfortble, and i´ve had to put a couple extra fans running. Not to cool teh computers, but to cool me :mrgreen:

I have two 120mm tri-cools on medium on top of the monitor and one 120mm Akasa Amber at full speed 50cm to my left. Needless to say they are not silent, but its too damn hot so i don´t even notice the noise :shock:

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:32 pm

Why would you be actively cooling your monitor?

It's designed to operate at temps under 50.

So I'd suggest you quit cooling the heater called a monitor unless it's an LCD unit. Note that most CRT's have lots of heat producing components and generally consume a minimum of 60 watts of power while active, which is Why I asked you about cooling the monitor because if you need to cool it, then something is definately wrong with it.

My current temp is about 35 and my monitor doesn't have any active cooling on it and it functions without any trouble.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:56 pm

I said the fans are cooling me and not the computer :wink: The computers work fine when folding, its me that´´s the problem. Im no used to such high room temps :P

I have an LCD and it runs about 47°c at the top and 40°c at the bottom. The thought of cooling never even crossed my mind...

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:19 am

It's been hot in the UK as well, so I've had to turn off some PCs that were folding...

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:21 pm

I turned my folding off around the first of the month, was too darn hot here as well. We've A/C in the house, but this room was still much warmer than the rest. Not worth it at the time. Still had all three system on, just not Folding. Made a difference.

Probably won't be firing them back up until end of September or so.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:35 am

It's nice and cool here again, still no rain but temps have dropped to normal summer temps of something like 17-22°c :) I was in southern Sweden last weekend and it was quite hot down there...

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:38 pm

Looks like it's gonna cool down for a week or so, fired up the systems again for awhile.

Basically, nope... haven't forgotten about it.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:31 am

Greetings,

Well, it is probably going to top 95F/35C (and very humid, too!) today, and I still have three machine Folding in my home office, and one more in a nearby bedroom! :twisted: Though, I don't have to be there with 'em...

Tomorrow looks to be even hotter: 100F/38C and the "heat index" will top 110F/43C, when you include the effect of the humidity...I might turn off one or two of the slower machines. :(