A quiet and powerful PC?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RPost

A quiet and powerful PC?

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:22 am

Hello everybody

I'm buying a completely new system with mid to high range components. and I want to keep it as quiet as possible.

Here's what I have so far:

Core 2 E6600
HIS x1900xtx IceQ3
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
2x 320gb Seagate 7200.10 sata2
2gb Corsair xms2 pc-6400 4-4-4-12
Antec P180
Antec Phantom 500
Scythe Ninja plus
2x SilenX 120mm (may change to Nexus)
SilenX 92mm
Pioneer DVR-111D

I want to overclock the 6600 to around 3.2ghz with the Ninja + one of the SilenX 120mm to replace the Scythe fan.

I know the x1900xtx is a hot loud beast of a card, but I'm hoping the IceQ3 will be easier on the ears. At any rate, I want one of these and can't hold out until the x1950's are released so I have little choice. I also considered getting a Zalman VF900-Cu, but the IceQ3 was a cheaper option from the supplier.

I'm not sure about the Phantom either. I need a quiet box for audio work, so if the cpu is sucking up the juice will the fan ramp up to unsuitable levels?

If anybody has experience (positive or negative) with any of these components, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by RPost on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:56 am

Everything looks pretty good, though the 1900xtx is going to be REALLY hot (and really loud with load). I would suggest Nexus fans or lower speed Yate Loons instead of SilenX fans. The seagate's are pretty fast, but it seems that if you wanted it quieter either the new WD's or Samsung drives should fit your bill. Either way, while gaming, the 1900xtx is probably going to be the loudest thing in your case.

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:13 am

slashdotcomma wrote:1900xtx is going to be REALLY hot (and really loud with load).
Have you had any experience with the IceQ3's? I'm parying that I don't have to get a 7900gtx just because of noise.
slashdotcomma wrote:I would suggest Nexus fans or lower speed Yate Loons instead of SilenX fans.
The stats read lower db and greater CFM for the SilenX. Why the Nexus? (I can't get Yate Loons)

Thanks for the drive advice too, the 5yr warranty comes second to noise in my eyes.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:17 am

The stats read lower db and greater CFM for the SilenX.
Have you ever heard the phrase "lies, damned lies and statistics"? :lol:
(I can't get Yate Loons)
I get mine from Silencio on Ebay, he ships worldwide and often the shipping is very reasonable.

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:23 am

jaganath wrote:Have you ever heard the phrase "lies, damned lies and statistics"? :lol:
:lol: Am I to take it that SilenX are filthy liars?
jaganath wrote:I get mine from Silencio on Ebay
Thanks for the tip

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:36 am

RPost wrote: Have you had any experience with the IceQ3's? I'm parying that I don't have to get a 7900gtx just because of noise.

The stats read lower db and greater CFM for the SilenX. Why the Nexus? (I can't get Yate Loons)

Thanks for the drive advice too, the 5yr warranty comes second to noise in my eyes.
The X1900XTX uses about ~45% more power under load than the 7900gtx according to XbitLabs' testing. Personally, even if the cooler was quiet, I don't think putting that much heat into your case is worth the 5% performance boost in certain situations. But that's your call. The IceQ3s are supposed to be quieter than the usual stock solution, but it'll definitely be noisier than the 7900GTX.

Many companies such as Thermaltake and SilenX regularly misrepresent the numbers on their products. There is no standard for measuring dB or CFM in the industry. They could be measuring from 3 meters away just to get their dB lower. SilenX also performed some very questinable activities on SPCR by creating mutliple accounts and hyping up their products. They used the accounts to pose as SilenX customers and make claims about how quiet their fans and PSUs were, and convincing SPCR forum members of the quietness of their products. Although this was about 3 years ago, I still don't trust them for their questionable business practicies. Poor products can be improved with better engineers and better focus on quality, quietness, etc, but a company's ethics and responsibility comes form the top, where change happens much slower. Personally, I'd take ThermalTake before SilenX

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 am

stromgald wrote:The X1900XTX uses about ~45% more power under load than the 7900gtx according to XbitLabs' testing. Personally, even if the cooler was quiet, I don't think putting that much heat into your case is worth the 5% performance boost in certain situations. But that's your call. The IceQ3s are supposed to be quieter than the usual stock solution, but it'll definitely be noisier than the 7900GTX.
What if I stick a Zalman VF900 on there?
stromgald wrote:Many companies such as Thermaltake and SilenX regularly misrepresent the numbers on their products. There is no standard for measuring dB or CFM in the industry. They could be measuring from 3 meters away just to get their dB lower. SilenX also performed some very questinable activities on SPCR by creating mutliple accounts and hyping up their products.
I'm always paranoid about that sort of behaviour. I think I might go for the Nexus instead. There seems to be a general (not just statistical) consensus that they are quiet.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:54 am

RPost wrote: What if I stick a Zalman VF900 on there?

I'm always paranoid about that sort of behaviour. I think I might go for the Nexus instead. There seems to be a general (not just statistical) consensus that they are quiet.
Hmmm, you are using a P180, so it has good airflow and dampening panels. The VF900 will cool it fine, its just how loud will the fan get. I put the VF700 in my SFF on 5V and its very quiet, almost silent from 1 meter away. I can hear it pretty clearly at 12V, but I have a thin Al case, so the P180 should do better. If you're really stuck on the X1900XTX go ahead and get it. Try the stock cooler, if its too noisy get a VF900Cu.

The Nexus is good, but personally, I don't like to use them because they're basically undervolted Yate Loons. Nexus just adds a resistor and changes the electronics a bit. It means that at 12V, the Nexus runs about the same as a 5V Yate Loon (wrt cfm and dB). The problem is that it doesn't give you as much head room in case you need more airflow. Overvolting fans is harder than trying to undervolt them. I prefer using Yate Loon or Papst and undervolting them. If you can't get those, just get the Nexus. They should be enough, I'm just a little paranoid about overheating components.

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:04 am

stromgald wrote:If you're really stuck on the X1900XTX go ahead and get it. Try the stock cooler, if its too noisy get a VF900Cu.
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do that.
stromgald wrote:I prefer using Yate Loon or Papst and undervolting them. If you can't get those, just get the Nexus. They should be enough, I'm just a little paranoid about overheating components.
Being relatively inexperienced at this I have the bravery of ignorance inside me, so I will probably just get the Nexus and perform some heathen cooling rituals in the hope of not cooking anything.

Any advice about psu's?

AudibleFury

Post by AudibleFury » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:10 am

There is an article sticky that outlines all kinds of PSU's that these fella's use. They are also rated.

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:18 am

AudibleFury wrote:There is an article sticky that outlines all kinds of PSU's that these fella's use. They are also rated.
Thanks, but I've perused that pretty thoroughly and was hoping to get some real world evaluations, mostly about noise.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:20 am

RPost wrote: Any advice about psu's?
Antec and Seasonic are the most recommended on here. Personally, I like Fortrons also, but they're more of a buget PSU (cheap, robust, and fairly quiet). With your setup I'd only recommend a ~380W PSU. If you're planning on adding a second graphics card later in a CrossFire setup, I'd get 500W. Some people have been saying that SLI/CF setups aren't econmical, but I'll let you decide that. The main worry about PSUs in the P180 is the length of the cables. The P180 is a big case and with some PSUs you will need extension cables to reach certain motherboard plugs and the DVD drives. Do a search on these forums for "P180 cable extensions". I know the 500W Phantom does have long enough cables, but I'm not sure about other PSUs.

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:29 am

stromgald wrote:If you're planning on adding a second graphics card later in a CrossFire setup, I'd get 500W.
I was thinking about doing just that, although not until the price of the master cards is down around AU$400.
stromgald wrote:The main worry about PSUs in the P180 is the length of the cables. The P180 is a big case and with some PSUs you will need extension cables to reach certain motherboard plugs and the DVD drives.
I had read a bit about that, but I figured the Phantom would be pretty perfectly suited to the P180. I'm thinking that I'll keep the 500 if the cables are good and it'll handle Crossfire.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi RPost, if you didn’t already you might like to look at this post. Oscar3d actually has an IceQ3 1900XTX (note to others this is very different to the standard ATI cooler) and says it’s very quiet, I remember reading his system specs in another thread and it looked like a decently quiet system so I would have reasonable confidence in his opinion. I would strongly suggest trying the IceQ3 before deciding it’s not good enough and buying anything else, also that it’s like the Arctic Cooling Silencers in that (the majority of) the heat is push out the back of the case, with 100w plus card this has to a good idea!
Regards, Seb

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:26 pm

I've looked around at a few more fans, what do you think of the AcoustiFan DustPROOF? http://www.quietpc.com/nz/casefans.html

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:03 pm

RPost wrote:I've looked around at a few more fans, what do you think of the AcoustiFan DustPROOF? http://www.quietpc.com/nz/casefans.html
There are a few Acoustifans listed in the SPCR recommended fans list, but they're thermally controlled. The ones in that link are controlled by a knob that fits in an expansion slot. I guess if you put it on Low to Medium it'll be fairly quiet if it has the same motor and mechanics as the one SPCR tested. I haven't tried Acoustifans personally, so I can't really say. I usually stick to Papst and Yate Loon/Nexus. Panaflo also has some quiet fans.

RPost

Post by RPost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:16 pm

stromgald wrote:I haven't tried Acoustifans personally, so I can't really say. I usually stick to Papst and Yate Loon/Nexus. Panaflo also has some quiet fans.
There isn't much info on these, which makes me pretty nervous. And they are some of the most expensive fans I've looked at, so maybe keep my Nexus resolution. Thanks for all your help btw.

RPost

Post by RPost » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:53 am

Alright, after some very helpful advice (Thanks everyone) and some more research I think I've settled on a system I like:

Core 2 E6600
HIS x1900xtx IceQ3
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
2x 320gb WD 7200 16mb sata2
2gb G.Skill pc-6400 HZ 4-4-4-12
Antec P180
Antec Phantom 500
Scythe Ninja plus
3x Nexus 120mm
Pioneer DVR-111D

This baby tips the scales at AU$3050 so she better be real quiet.

I'm going to push the order button in 2 days, so last minute thoughts may still be in order. Feel free to comment (keeping in mind I know the x1900xtx is loud :lol:).

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:32 am

RPost wrote:Alright, after some very helpful advice (Thanks everyone) and some more research I think I've settled on a system I like:

Core 2 E6600
HIS x1900xtx IceQ3
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
2x 320gb WD 7200 16mb sata2
2gb G.Skill pc-6400 HZ 4-4-4-12
Antec P180
Antec Phantom 500
Scythe Ninja plus
3x Nexus 120mm
Pioneer DVR-111D

This baby tips the scales at AU$3050 so she better be real quiet.

I'm going to push the order button in 2 days, so last minute thoughts may still be in order. Feel free to comment (keeping in mind I know the x1900xtx is loud :lol:).
Asus P5W DH (975 chipeset) is way better than P5B Delux (965 express) in terms of overclocking. P5W DH also supports the upcoming quad core while P5B Delux doesnt. (WS Pro, DH, and DS3 are the 3 current best OC board for Conroe)

BTW, you would benefit from some soft fan mounts.

RPost

Post by RPost » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:52 am

vitaminc wrote:Asus P5W DH (975 chipeset) is way better than P5B Delux (965 express) in terms of overclocking. P5W DH also supports the upcoming quad core while P5B Delux doesnt. (WS Pro, DH, and DS3 are the 3 current best OC board for Conroe)
I'm looking more for reliability and features than overclocking potential. I don't think I have the overclocking gonads to make much use of those boards, but I'm going to have a good hard look at them anyway.
vitaminc wrote:BTW, you would benefit from some soft fan mounts.
I agree

RPost

Post by RPost » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:59 am

System has been ordered.

Here's what I decided on:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Core 2 E6600
Scythe Ninja-Plus
2gb GSkill 6400 HZ
Powercolor X1900XT
Zalman VF900cu
Antec Phantom 500