Help! Computer won't start!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gharkins

Help! Computer won't start!

Post by gharkins » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:07 am

Hey, I built a new PC, and I'm having problems starting. The BIOS will not boot, and windows is not installed. I have the bare minimum inside -

Motherboard - Asus M2N32 -SLi
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4600
Memory - Kinston ValueRAM 1Gb
PSU - HiperX 580W
Graphics Card - Radeon X1300 256Mb

Basically, I plug in the Power, Monitor and Keyboard, and Power Up. There is nothing displayed on the monitor, and the fans run (including the CPU fan) for about 4 seconds. There are no 'beeps' and then the system just stops running (apart from the mobo LED is still on)

What is wrong (if you can tell from this description)? All replys greatly appreciated.

G

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:27 am

Hmmm, just to double check:
is the 12V line (a square 4 pin plug) plugged into your motherboard and secure?
is a CD/DVD drive or bootup-able storage plugged in?
is a fan plugged into the CPU fan slot?

Do you have another spare PSU? The components you've chosen won't take much power, so a low 300W PSU should do.

gharkins

Post by gharkins » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:52 am

Now I have plugged the 12V line (doh!), but now nothing!!! The LED still lights up, but now the fans do not even start!!! What should I do? I can not change the PSU (my other system is a v. old one so I cant use that). The only thing that I can think of is that the 12V line has 6 connectors, but it still fits the bottom 4 (if you know what I mean).

All replies are gratefully appreciated.

G

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:36 am

I should pay closer attention...
Last edited by dhanson865 on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:53 pm

Kinda sounds like an overheating issue. This may sound obvious, but is the CPU cooler firmly/correctly attached? Did you apply thermal compound? Is the CPU fan plugged in? Also, make sure there is no plastic protective film on the bottom of the CPU cooler.

One of my buddies recently built his system using the exact same mobo and CPU, and he had the very same problem. Well, come to find out, he left the plastic cover on the bottom of the CPU cooler, causing it to overheat and shutdown (doh!).

If that don't work, then break out your manual, and double-check all of your connections to make sure they are secure and plugged into the correct locations.
Last edited by L3thal on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:03 pm

- Take out the video card and try starting. When you reinsert it, make sure you put it in hard enough so the plastic clip locks by itself.

-Take out all unnecessary peripherals (sound card, wireless) until you can get it started.

- Only use 1 stick of RAM, take it out and reinsert hard enough so that the clips lock into place by themselves. Maybe try different slots if you only have 1 stick.

Kind of sounds like a bum PSU or mobo to me, but good luck.

Zine

Post by Zine » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:48 pm

You mentioned that the 12v connector has 6 pins, instead of 4. Your power supply should have a 4-pin (2x2) connector, or an 8-pin (2x4) connector (which would require an adapter cable). The 6-pin connector is for aux. PCI power. If you plug the 6-pin connector into the 4-pin port on the motherboard, I believe the polarity would be reversed, which could fry something.

If your power supply doesn't have a 4 or 8 pin connector, then it may be an older power supply. I think I have seen adapter cables which convert a molex power connection to the 4 pin (2x2) motherboard connector.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:54 am

Ouch, good catch. I didn't notice the plugging a 6pin connector into the 4 pin socket. I saw the "now I have plugged in..." and skimmed past the relavent detail.

I don't see a hiperx on the web but I do see Hiper R series and a M series

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/produ ... 4k580.html

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/produ ... 4m580.html

It may be that he bought an old model that isn't made any more or it might just be a packaging difference and he has one of the R or M series.