P180 computer just built...kind of loud

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

wonderland130

P180 computer just built...kind of loud

Post by wonderland130 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Thermaltake CL-P0200 Silent 939 K8 with default case fans on low. ocz power stream 7800 GTX with Accerlo. I just had this computer build and it is kind of loud. What kind of dampning material can be used easily with this computer case? Are the fans worth replacing? I am using the default p180 120mm fans and default fan on the thermaltake hsfan. Should i replace any of the fans? Both the fans are blowing in, should I blow one out? I would really like to customize this computer to be quieter.thanks

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:05 pm

Need a few details. You shouldn't need dampening material yet.

First switch all of your Antec fans to Low speed, and get a fanmate to undervolt the thermaltake fan.

The major source of noise is probably your gfx card coolers. so get an Arctic cooling HSF or a Zalman.

Listen in to your computer and you can generally tell which part is producing noise.

Exel

Re: P180 computer just built...kind of loud

Post by Exel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:19 am

wonderland130 wrote:Both the fans are blowing in, should I blow one out?
The case fans are designed to blow air out of the case. The primary intake is in the front of the case behind the door and it has a filter. It works well as a passive intake, but you can install an additional 120mm cooler there to blow inwards if you see fit.

One thing you might consider is to seal the rear grille intake next to the add-on cards. That way the filtered front intake will be your only intake and the rear intake wont "short-circuit" the airflow. It might also reduce the noise that gets to escape the case.

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:07 pm

vitaminc wrote:The major source of noise is probably your gfx card coolers. so get an Arctic cooling HSF or a Zalman.
I took "7800 GTX with Accerlo" to mean he has an Arctic Cooling Accelero on the card.