Quieter alternative to the WD 150 Raptor

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stephen

Quieter alternative to the WD 150 Raptor

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:18 pm

I am collecting parts for a new build. I will be using the Antec P180 case, and soft mounting the HD in the lower level. I am considering the WD 150 Raptor. Has anyone mounted one in the lower level of the Antec P180. If so, how noticeable are the seeks? Is there another HD in the 150 GB range that is close to the Raptor in terms of performance, but noticeably quieter?

badbadtz560

Post by badbadtz560 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:33 pm

try tomshardware's charts
http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html

The hitachi deskstar 7k500 seems to boot windows faster by their benchmarks.

paulesko

Post by paulesko » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:24 am

I have a raptor 150 gb in my p180, in the lower chamber, I also have three nexus to cool everything. With those nexus at 7v you won´t notice that raptor over them, at least not much, maybe its a bit louder, but you´ll have to put your ear near to the HD to distinguish its noise.

Things change a lot when it´s seeking, I don´t have aam activated so, when it seeks its clearly louder than anything else in my computer, its not annoying at all, but you can hear it clearly. I can tell you that it´s audible also over those nexus at 12v.

I also have a seagate 7200.9 and a samsung spintpoint p120. Well, they´re way slower, specially the seagate, and i can´t say that the seagate is quieter than the raptor in any term, I can tell you that samsung HD is always quiter than the raptor, you almost won´t hear it in a p180 with a config like mine, but it´s slower, I would´nt take much care of charts, this is the fastest drive I´ve ever tried in pair with a cheetah 10k I once owned.

s2

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:59 am

If your're considering a boot drive the newest Raptor 74 revision is the fastest singel user drive on the market. The new revisions also makes less noise.

I have "the old revision" Raptor 150 as boot drive and it's very fast but the new 74 is even faster. My old revision raptor 74 runs the page file and some storage.
The 150 on idle is inaudible in the p180. On heavy seeks and writes it sticks out over my undervolted YL fans but the seek noise isn't bad. A kind of metalish noiseor buzz that I sometimes find my self to like even :o It isn't really that bouncy high pitch noise that Hitatchi or maxtor makes. More like a buzz.

I'm considering buying a new 74 for boot drive and use my 150 only for games and maybe apps.

Check out the review of the new raptor 74 at Edit: www.storagereview.com

The raptors are worth the little noise they make.
Last edited by Poodle on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:20 am, edited 11 times in total.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:59 am

That's: www.storagereview.com and nothing else.