Scythe Quiet Drive enclosure, it´s good :)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:09 am

nici
I found a couple of reviews of scythe enclosure (unfortunately all in german or french) and they detail a different installation instructions.

Review 1
Review 2
Review 3

In the reviews above the second gel sheet is applied on the drive's PCB. As I can see from your pics, you applied it to the outer aluminum housing. What do instructions say if anything? I would assume that the gel sheet would also act as insulator as you wouldn't want to short-circuit your PCB. What is the correct way to install those gel sheets?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:05 am

The gel sheets are supposed to be applied as nici has done it, see the installation manual.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Hmm, mounting the gel on the PCB could be a good idea.. If it isn´t conductive. The gel on the old silent box was applied on the PCB.
Luckily the installation manual has pictures, without them it would be useless. Im shure i have the wrong screws in every place, there´s like four different types of screws and there´s probably ten of them left once there is a screw in every hole.. None of the screws wanted to fit anywhere, so i just used some good old excessive force :mrgreen:

And i think i actually read a couple of those reviews earlier, i took some german classes in school.. Not that i really learned much there :roll:

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:29 pm

How does the gel thing work? Can it only be used once and does it leave any residue on the drive? I've heard all these horror stories about the adhesive pads that come with the Ninja and how they would not come off the motherboard. Don't want something similar to happen :shock:

Does this mount fine in cases like the P180 that uses sliding rails for CD-Rom and HDD mounting?

nici

Post by nici » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:34 pm

They are not even sticky when you hold them in your hands, but tearing them would be pretty easy if you tried, wich would be stupid. They are removable. They will stretch a bit when removed but shrink back to their original size in a minute or so. And as you can see the gel doesn´t actually touch the drive, only the aluminium box, and no there´s no residue left on that. But you don´t need to remove the gel even if you swap drives :)

slyman

Post by slyman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:01 pm

I just got one of these (Scythe Quiet Drive) yesterday. I do not rate it very highly, at least when compared to the (quickly donning silenced flame proof suit) SilenX equivalent.

The Scythe does remove the high pitched whine, but there is a very noticeable low pitch vibration (~50Hz ish) which can be heard more than 1M away which is not evident with the SilenX. I suspect this is due to the fact that with the SilenX the drive is essentially surrounded by foam, but with the Scythe the drive is not. I do not think that the gel pads absorb vibration very well and this is the cause of the problem i.e. the inner drive case vibrating against the outer case.

I am going to do some more experimentation (not quite sure what yet), but I would not buy another, if I wanted to mess around I would have done a complete DIY job to begin with. Luckily the drive inside it is in sleep mode the majority of the time.

I have not measured temperature in either of the cases. I have had a Maxtor 6V300F0 (300Gb SATA) in the SilenX for over 6 months and before then had an old 4Gb drive in it (used in a Linux based router) for ~6 months to a year with no problems whatsoever.

FWIW the PC in question is an Antec P150, Antec Phantom 500 (on 3) , Sempron 64 3000 with Scythe Ninja and included 120mm fan, and a Nexus 120mm case fan. Both fans run at 5V. Maxtor 6V300F0 in a SilenX harddrive silencer thingy - as previously mentioned - and an old WD 40Gb IDE which is only ever woken up for daily backups of /home (whines like a b@st@rd then). Runs Ubuntu. cpuburn-in has been run for 24+ hours with no problems. Tis tres quiet.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:53 pm

A quick search didn't turn up any reviews of the SilenX with any temp readings.. The gel things in the Scythe stop metal to metal contact and still transfer heat, that's the purpose of it. The SilenX has a couple of heatsinks and is enclosed in a box with some kind of foam, and both of the ends of the drive are exposed. I have noticed the same thing with all enclosures, open ends will let noise escape.

As for the 50Hz noise, is it a low noise, or is it actual vibration from the drive? The scythe wont get rid of all the vibration, but placing it on some foam solves that. You can remove the mounting things on the side and place it on some foam in one 5,25" slot. Even some thick foam-like double sided tape would work if you need it to stay in place in transit.

This review mentions temps but no actual readings, i ahve no idea what the temps were.
Although the performance is the same, the HDSS does cause the drive to get substantially warmer when operating, due to the confined space of the system. Even with the heat sinks installed, the drive still seems to operate much warmer then it would when installed openly in the case. This does not seem to affect the performance at all, but does require a decent amount of airflow in your case to ensure everything remains calm, cool, and collected.
So i an't know if the SilenX is good or bad, im as sceptical as i am to any product before i test it myself or read lot's of reviews and opinions wich have enough experiences with the product to base my opinion on.

jwoolen01

Post by jwoolen01 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

I just got my quiet drive in the mail today, and I couldn't be happier. In my opinion, it's better than the smart drive 2002c (and much cheaper).

I had a Seagate 7200.7 160gb PATA in the smart drive, and I have a wd2500ks sitting in the quiet drive. I know that's not apples to apples, but I prefer the quiet drive. The idle noise of the Seagate seemed to cut right through the smart drive. It basically only muffled the seek noise. The quiet drive has brought the idle of my wd2500ks down noticeably. Seeks were reduced as well. I can't hear the drive at my sitting position unless it's seeking, and only barely then. My wd2500ks is now quieter than ANY notebook drive I've owned, including the Samsung MP0402H.

The vibration damping of the quiet drive is pretty good too (no match for suspension though). I have it resting on some feet I made from a spire pad. I'm going to add a couple more layers to the feet to further decouple it from the chassis to mute seeks. But with only one layer, my lian li pc-v1000 doesn't vibrate.

I don't know how reliable the temps from speedfan 4.29 are, but for my normal usage: bittorrent, media playback, and web browsing, I haven't seen it go over 34C. It stays at about 32C nominally (YL D12SL-12 @5V firing at it).

I'd like to thank nici and the rest of you guys for all of the useful information in this thread. It was the deciding factor in me buying the quiet drive.

After 8 months, my virtually inaudible pc is nearly done. I have all the storage I need without the noise. I'm moving my system to a pc-v1000b plus. I hope to get some pics taken so I can share it here.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:56 am

jwoolen01 wrote:The idle noise of the Seagate seemed to cut right through the smart drive. It basically only muffled the seek noise.
Are you certain that your Smartdrive seals correctly? SPCR's testing and my experience indicate a significant difference in idle noise with a Smartdrive. IIRC, SPCR measured a 6dBA reduction, so you should notice an improvement.

andaca

Post by andaca » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:32 pm

spcr, its time 2 make a review of this unit :wink:

jwoolen01

Post by jwoolen01 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Follow up post:

Since I've had the quiet drive enclosure I've also tried two other hdds inside of it: a Samsung hm120jc and a sp2504c. This was mainly because after a few weeks of use, the Western Digital wd2500ks that I initially had in the quiet drive started to become noisier. It developed a hollow sounding rumble that could be heard even within the quiet drive. It could be damped by placing a finger on top of the drive, but I decided I'd try another hdd with a different noise signature than the wd2500ks.

The next drive I used was the Samsung hm120jc. I had to come up with a way to mount it securely within the quiet drive. I ended up cutting out sections of a spire pad in the dimensions of the quiet drive to pad the enclosure out and keep the drive secure. The side with the electronics was face down on the caddy inside the quiet drive. I thought the drive would overheat since it was covered with foam within the quiet drive, but it ran surprisingly cool. It idled at around 30C with no active cooling. Sonic result: inaudible at about 1 ft. Vibration was basically non existent with this drive.

Given the sonic and thermal advantages of the hm120jc, it was seemingly the perfect solution for silent storage. However, my system felt slower with the 5400rpm drive, and I also began to miss the capacity of the wd2500ks. So I decided to drop an sp2504c in the quiet drive, since it's only $69.99 at newegg.com, and it had similar noise character to the hm120jc, although a bit higher in volume. I felt that the wd2500ks was quieter at idle than the sp2504c (and it was while it was new), but the idle of the sp2504c was smoother and limited to a hiss (or whoosh), whereas the wd2500ks had more mechanical noise.

So I placed the sp2504c in the quiet drive. The result: inaudible at about 4 ft. Only if it is extremely quiet, like 3 am in the morning with the a/c off can I hear it. The idle temps are pretty good as well. The drive is sitting at 33C now with no active cooling. It did reach 37C while I was copying some directories over from the hm120jc. As far as vibration goes, I needed a better method of decoupling, as the sp2504c vibrated a bunch more than either the wd2500ks or the hm120jc.

The solution: add more spire pads. While the wd2500ks was effectively decoupled with 3-layer spire pad feet, it took 6-layer feet to decouple the sp2504c (I may add one more layer). For $10, spire pads are nifty to have for odd silencing/decoupling jobs. They didn't work to well as far as reducing idle noise in the pc case, but they did soak up a lot of vibration.

For anyone trying to get rid of that last bit of hdd noise, I recommend quiet drive enclosure. It's the best $40 I've spent towards hdd silencing.
With the right drive inside of it, you won't be able to hear it from a normal listening position.

@ HammerSandwich:

You may be right about the smartdrive. There may have been something wrong with it, but I've had no such problems with the quiet drive.
Last edited by jwoolen01 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:47 am

Hi all

Thanks for a great thread. I'll get a Quiet Drive, when I have the money.

Best regards
Thomas

Chaendler

Post by Chaendler » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:19 pm

One more question, I'm wondering which is the material where you lean the disk on.

I mean, I know the HD is surrounded by a silver aluminum case, but then you put it inside the black enclosure, which has foam covering the 4 walls, and gel which avoids direct contact with the top wall, BUT: WHAT ABOUT THE BOTTOM?

Is there direct contact between the silver aluminium and the the black aluminium on the bottom on the case, or is there some foam there too?

Thanks!

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:30 pm

Just as with the top side, there is a gel sheet that is put on the bottom side, no foam.

Chaendler

Post by Chaendler » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:44 am

Thanks Tephras!

Then I think that the old Silent Box will be better for silencing a low-pitch, high-seek harddrive...

TomMe

Post by TomMe » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:28 am

jwoolen01, do you have any idea why your WD2500KS became noisier? I have this drive too and am thinking about getting this Quiet Drive solution. Did it have something to do with the enclosure or did it became noisier on its own?

I have an older Chieftec case which uses plastic rails to mount the optical drives. I noticed that when I mounted my WD HDD with metal brackets + these plastic rails in an optical drive bay, my vibrational noise got reduced a bit. Would using this Quiet Drive improve the noise further?

Also my drive emits a buzzing sound now and then (mostly vibrations), probably some internal diagnostics. It's quite annoying. Would this be improved as well?

Mav-VRX

Post by Mav-VRX » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:55 pm

Nici, I am interested in getting two Scythe Quiet Drives for my hard drives, but I am concerned about the temperature increases.

I currently have my hard drives in a Thermaltake iCage, and a 12cm LED fan blowing on them (and gosh they are loud but powerful) keeping the drives at 25-32 degrees. Without the fan, the drives get as hot as 38 degrees, but the drives spinning is the loudest noise source in my case (once I replace my 12cm fans) with quieter ones.

So, with no direct fan blowing on my hard drives, and putting them in the Scythe Quiet Drive, I am afraid the temperatues will increase to the 40-45 degree range.

Nici, have you tried using a 12cm fan to blow on the Scythe Quiet Drive? Will that lower the hard drive temperature at all (since the hard drive is enclosed)?

nici

Post by nici » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:26 am

Er, has some 13y old wanker attacked the site again? I am 110% sure i posted some temperatures within the past two weeks.. :shock:

Anyway, i tried the Scythe inside a case. I used the system in my signature, took out the optical drive, blocked the bottom intake, and placed the enclosure where the optical drive was. Only airflow thru the case was from the two 80mm nexuses at 900rpm or so.

I compared the scythe to the bare drive suspended, the result was 6,5°c over ambient when suspended, and with the scythe it was 8°c over ambient. So not a big difference compared to a bare drive :) I measured the ambient temp at the intake just before the drive.

You can use those numbers for reference once you check your ambient temperature :)

If you check the data on the first page you can see how the Scythe comapres to a bare drive, though obviously both must be in the same place to make the comparison valid. You cant directly compare a bare drive in front of an intake to a drive inside an enclosure fitted in a 5,25" slot.

eXa

Post by eXa » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:19 am

ah got mine today! nice to get rid of that whining from my noisy WD hdd...

first thing i did though was removing those "anti vibration" mounting thingy.
just laid i on some foam on top of my dvd drive instead. and secured it with some more foam.

And since i got pretty cool air from my top mount rad blowing directly at it the temps almost didnt rise at all!

8)

Edit: hmm still can hear it! time to switch hdd too soon!

Noni

Post by Noni » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:06 am

Hi there guys.

Im ready to pull the trigger, but does this work with a Rail type system?

Is it the same size as a normal CD-ROM drive? Or smaller/bigger.

Thanks.

Mav-VRX

Post by Mav-VRX » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:13 am

nici wrote:I compared the scythe to the bare drive suspended, the result was 6,5°c over ambient when suspended, and with the scythe it was 8°c over ambient. So not a big difference compared to a bare drive :) I measured the ambient temp at the intake just before the drive.
Thanks. I have read the temperatures, however, my main question was whether having a fan blowing on the enclosure would reduce the internal hard drive's temperature at all, as my bare drive with no fans can reach 38 degrees (while room temperature is at 15-20 degrees). I'm not comfortable having my drives at 40 degrees in an enclosure, let alone having them at 45 degrees during summer.

So, my theory is this: If a fan blowing on the enclosure removes the heat from the exterior, then it can be free to absorb more head from the hard drive inside.

If my theory is correct, then I will be able to both quiet my hard drives and have then run cool, making me feel that my data is less at risk of being lost due to any potential hard drive failures.

So, I plan to get a Scythe Kama Bay and two Scythe Quiet Drives. Position the Kama Bay as an intake taking up 3x 5.25" bays. Behind it, I will put the Quiet Drives.

I'm not certain whether the 2 drives can still be mounted behind the Kama Bay in that configuration, as I would need space to screw the Kama Bay onto the same rail as one of the Quiet Drives. The position of this screw is first available screw that is on the side closest to the front of the case.

Perhaps someone will be kind enough to confirm?

nici

Post by nici » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:50 am

Oopsie, i thought iw as posting in this thread. That's also where the temps are... :lol:

Looking at the table in the linked thread, you can see that with no airflow the drive inside the scythe reached 14°c over ambient, and with slight airflow it was 4°c cooler. Also with no airflow the drive inside the scythe is running cooler than the bare drive.

And yes this does work with rails :)

Mav-VRX

Post by Mav-VRX » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:33 pm

Great, thanks Nici.

Mav-VRX

Post by Mav-VRX » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:48 pm

I received two Scythe Quiet Drives this week. The drives and the paint are easily scratched during installation, so you need to be careful when installing it against sharp objects.

The whine of the hard disks are reduced, but as mentioned from another poster, a low hum of vibration remains.

I'm thinking of putting these drives against some gel packs, to act as dampening material, and at the same time, reduce vibrations.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:55 pm

Mav-VRX wrote:I received two Scythe Quiet Drives this week. The drives and the paint are easily scratched during installation, so you need to be careful when installing it against sharp objects.

The whine of the hard disks are reduced, but as mentioned from another poster, a low hum of vibration remains.

I'm thinking of putting these drives against some gel packs, to act as dampening material, and at the same time, reduce vibrations.
WHich disks are you using? Is it only vibration that bother you now, or is there also a airborne hum, when suspended properly?

Thanks.

Mav-VRX

Post by Mav-VRX » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:25 am

I'm using the standard 160 Gig WD Sata drives from several years ago. The manufacturer noise specs is 28 or 32dB.

I've removed the two screws on the side of the Quiet Drive tonight, and the vibration is from the drive to the case is further reduced to a faint low hum, so I'll leave it at that for now at least. So, the Quiet Drives are working nicely. Unfortunately I am not able to fit a Scythe Kama Bay on the front to cool the drives further.

However, I have positioned the drives so that my 25cm side intake fan manages to blows some air across them (just barely), keeping the drives in the range of 27-38 degrees. The lower end being idle, and the higher end while gaming.

Main source of noise is the motor noise of the Zalman 9500 at 5V, which will be replaced by a Scythe Ninja next week or two.

shadowfire1

Post by shadowfire1 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:59 pm

How good are these enclosures with idle noise, I have a 7200.10 and a 7200.8 and the idle noise is annoying as ****, I’m hoping to not have to buy a new hd.

Mav-VRX

Post by Mav-VRX » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:38 pm

The result works best if you are able to mount the Scythe Quiet Drive in such a way that vibrations are reduced, then idle noise is reduced dramatically to a faint hum. Not completly silent, but quiet at 1 meter.

shadowfire1

Post by shadowfire1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:00 am

thanks, I'm thinking about ordering 2 now. I Will post results when i get them in.

edit: OUCH! Their over 40 bucks each with shipping at the 'egg(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817984002). I'm going to do more testing to make sure that the hd's are the only major source of noise before I fork out 80 bucks.

Would mounting this on the p150s rail system for the 5 and 1/2 inch drive cause more noise?

Mav-VRX

Post by Mav-VRX » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:39 pm

Not sure about that, I'm using a Thermaltake Armor case with their rail system. My front bezel is made of mesh, and lets noise escape, but aids in inflow.

I thought the P150 and P180 cases would be good to quiet the hard disks by the case design itself.

Yes, the Scythe Drives are expensive, especially getting two fo them. For that price, you could consider buying a single hard disk with the same or higher capacity, but one with a lower idle noise such as the Samsung Spinpoint series.