McMaster-Carr No Longer Ships To Canada

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

digitalfeed

McMaster-Carr No Longer Ships To Canada

Post by digitalfeed » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:19 am

I've heard of this online supplier a few times in the forums and decided to place an order last night for some polyurethane foam. It turns out they'll only be shipping to a few long-established customers in Canada from here on in. Shame. :(
Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr can only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.
Please be assured that your credit card has not been charged.

Kelli Davis
McMaster-Carr Supply Company
330-342-6126

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 am

Well that sucks. Understandable, but unfortunate.

Maybe, if there's something mcMaster sells that you absolutely cannot find in Canada, we could setup some sort of shipping relay system from SPCR members here in the states. Preferably somebody that's close to both Mcmaster's warehouse and the border. Shipping will be expensive since you'll be paying to ship the same thing twice, but if you can't get the stuff any other way...

Anybody interested?

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:59 am

Rusty075 wrote:Well that sucks. Understandable, but unfortunate.

Maybe, if there's something mcMaster sells that you absolutely cannot find in Canada, we could setup some sort of shipping relay system from SPCR members here in the states. Preferably somebody that's close to both Mcmaster's warehouse and the border. Shipping will be expensive since you'll be paying to ship the same thing twice, but if you can't get the stuff any other way...

Anybody interested?
Shipping is decent the higher you go...I sampled Fedex Intl ground, from Detroit to Toronto for 20lbs in a 24" x 24" x 24" box containing computer parts and $500 value was only ~$48. Not all that bad, really....

So certainly if people were to conglomerate shipments together (how many fans is 20 lbs? :P) somebody could probably set up a monthly delivery system, then have things just go in the postal service within Canada.

Obviously a bit pricy, and also there would need to be *Highly* reputable people on both sides of the delivery system.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:06 am

If you're going to set up a monthly delivery system, you may as well enlist someone who goes over the border reasonably frequently and save on cross-border shipping and potential duties. I'm sure someone in Niagara or Windsor area wouldn't mind driving across and buying some cheaper gas and computer parts... :P

digitalfeed

Post by digitalfeed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:27 am

The system sounds like a great idea but I think it would probably be best kept for hard to find items that we wouldn't normally be able to get in Canada.

As for the polyurethane, I was hoping I could get some from McMaster since it was really cheap but since that didn't work I would probably buy an acoustipack for my SFF ... nah, forget it. I'll just hold off until I can swap out my harddrive. Those acoustipack's are expensive. :P