Scythe Kama Meter - PWM? look at pix & say what u think

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kater

Scythe Kama Meter - PWM? look at pix & say what u think

Post by kater » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:17 am

Here are 2 pics showing the innards of the new Scythe Kama Meter, a promising controller by one of our faved suppliers. I tried to contact Scythe to get a clear answer, but have not received any. Also, I tried contacting some local vendors selling this controller and got ambiguous answers, PR-like (horse poo). "We think it's not PWM." "Yeah, it prolly is PWM"... sheesh

So, I just KNOW you can tell if it's PWM or not, just by looking at it. Well, peek inside and tell the millions of anxious SPCR forum members who wish to get this gear if it's safe or not :)

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/8b5 ... 9c010.html

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/16a ... 83a24.html

Yeah, there was a Polish review on the unit but it, hmm, kinda, sucked, and didn't explain the fine subtleties we silence geeks want to know ;)
Come to think of it - i didn't google for other reviews...

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:59 am

I think ONE of them is PWM because it's 4pin. The rest should be the regular 3pin connectors which aren't PWM.

kater

Post by kater » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:42 am

are you sure this is how you can tell the difference? i had a revoltec 3,5" fan controller and it also had 3pin connectors and it sure was PWM. i know 4pin connectors are dedicated for PWM optimized/friendly fans, but you can also connect regular fans to a PWM controller and they will work - it's just that there's a fair chance you'll end up with whining fans - that's what happened to me and, as i learned later, to others
:roll:
if, in fact, only this big one is PWM and the rest are just your regular VC, than things start to look better

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 am

Normally, if there are no heatsinks, then it's PWM.