http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... fx_13.html

I DONT SEE I GAIN IN PERFORMANCE OVER NEW INTEL CPU
TO MUCH HEAT... TO MAY FANS.... TO MUCH POWER!!!1
SILENT????? JAJAJAJAJAJ

WHAT DOU THINK?????

digitalfeed

Post by digitalfeed » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:59 pm

Before I post, why the caps in your post? :lol:

I didn't really read the articles thoroughly, but I got an overall feeling that the new AMD platform isn't as efficient as Intel's Core 2. Speaking from a silence standpoint, AMD's new platform wouldn't be a wise start to build from.

I guess it's like cars. You can make any car fast but some platforms are easier to build-up from than others. No point in spending more effort than you really need to.

And you can't overclock the things! That's a new one for AMD enthusiasts...

drees

Post by drees » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:47 pm

Umm, nice typing skills?

Anyone know if CnQ works on the 4x4 and if it was enabled during the tests?

stv

Post by stv » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:55 pm

sorry about the caps!!111 :oops:

i was working.... and post quick....

is interesting this new system... is try of AMD to reach intel performance
until next year that AMD launch new 65nm K8L micro-architecture
and reach better performance-per-wat than intel core duo 2...
this mean more cooler cpus and low noise system

x-bit labs
AMD Quad FX platform turned out far from what we have expected. Although this way AMD intended to respond to Intel’s quad-core processors launch, this response turned out quite strange I should say.

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:00 pm

What did AMD fans expect? :roll:

AMD increased its marketshare because intel dropped the ball with the prescott. It wasn't that AMD made something far superior to Intel.

Now Intel is back with the core2duo's and AMD is back where it was before prescott; behind Intel. The only way AMD is going to stay ahead is cut pricing. They need to go back to the drawing board and come up with something that shakes Intel's boots: maybe X128-bit processing. :P But 4x4 isn't it.

Hope this hasn't offended AMD fans; not my intention. AMD is good for competition.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:32 pm

There isn't really anything particularly crazy. It's just a dual chip platform for people who want that kind of thing. Obviously a waste of power to most of us and completely pointless for most apps. It's really a stopgap until the Native Quad Core K8L is finally released. Then it'll be the madness of dual quad-cores. 8 Cores of power wasting. At least it'll be 65nm... I think the platform is going to stay, but be extremely niche, almost as niche as Quad SLI.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:59 pm

I liked HardOCP's review better but the conclusion was the same - interesting idea, no real purpose though and AMD is the loser on both cost and performance per watt, plus loser in outright performance in many categories.

I built my current PC about a year ago based on the single-core 2.2Ghz A64. I look at what AMD has done since then and other than prices coming down a bit on their dual-core chips, they really don't appear to have made any meaningful progress in the last year. Intel has just flat-out blown them away.

I think AMD's got a great product lineup and general computing philosophy but Intel is just too big and too good at catching up and surpassing. The fact that Intel is going to 45nm when AMD is still all 90nm is just like Intel is kicking AMD while they're down. Ouch. Let's hope AMD pulls a rabit out of their hat in the next 18 months or so.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:28 am

AMD increased its marketshare because intel dropped the ball with the prescott. It wasn't that AMD made something far superior to Intel.
That's a bit of a skewed way of looking at it, tbh. AMD put all their attention on performance per watt, Intel didn't and they paid the price, especially in the server space.
Now Intel is back with the core2duo's and AMD is back where it was before prescott; behind Intel.
Of course they're always going to be behind Intel when Intel has an 80% market share; I don't know any other business where basically a monopoly situation is allowed. (pace Microsoft)

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:34 am

IMO there's something wrong with the platform. In a few tests the twin AMD processor was bested by a single AMD.
It's like running with one bare foot, 4 feet run faster but still limping.
I believe that once AMD gets the native quad-core K8L on the market, this 4x4 platform will be good to build affordable 8-core workstations.

Stereodude

Post by Stereodude » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:31 am

AZBrandon wrote: The fact that Intel is going to 45nm when AMD is still all 90nm is just like Intel is kicking AMD while they're down. Ouch. Let's hope AMD pulls a rabit out of their hat in the next 18 months or so.
Per the latest rumors on the web, supposedly AMD is rolling out the 65nm X2's December 5th.

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 am

Tzupy wrote:IMO there's something wrong with the platform. In a few tests the twin AMD processor was bested by a single AMD.
Yeah, this is probably from the extra overhead of communicating between the two CPUs, just as in some cases (low-res, not very graphics intensive apps) SLI is slower than a single video card.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:12 am

The overhead *should* be the same or less for Hypertransport, compared to Intel's FSB approach.
In which case AMD *should* have better scaling, but this doesn't happen.
Anyway, it's obvious that a faster Hypertransport is a must.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:22 am

Stereodude wrote:Per the latest rumors on the web, supposedly AMD is rolling out the 65nm X2's December 5th.
Really? I must have confused the 4 core rollout with their first 65nm product. I thought they weren't releasing any 65nm chips until the 4-core chip some time 2Q-07. Well, I guess that's a little better, but it's still got to be frustrating for AMD to have so much less manufacturing muscle than Intel.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:24 pm

1st AMD did make a better product. It was the 1st 64bit and they integrated the memory controller.

Conroe and the future cpus from Intel will keep AMD on their toes.

For sure AMD has LOST this round and wll really have to be on the ball to "compete" with Intel.

4get 4core. Just a gimmick for now. 4 Core for Intel will be better and more suited if you have servers and things of that nature.

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Tzupy wrote:IMO there's something wrong with the platform. In a few tests the twin AMD processor was bested by a single AMD.
Many sources say that this can be caused by XP memory management - XP has no support for such hypertransported configuration (NUMA or how they call it). Test sites are waiting for Vista compatible test suites - Vista supports NUMA and should make 4x4 run at full throttle.

Otherwise I'm waiting for K8L too :)

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:52 pm

At least one site has already run Vista on the 4x4. Some improvement, but not anything magical like some people were hoping for.