Under-the-conter Bose Alternative?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wussboy

Under-the-conter Bose Alternative?

Post by wussboy » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:21 pm

My mother is selling her piano, and is about to get sucked in to a Bose system. Now, be they good or bad, I'm quite certain she can get something equally as nice sounding for a lot less money. Any recommendations, anyone? She wants to put it under the counter, and she lives in Canada.

Any help is appreciated.

kogi

Post by kogi » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:20 pm

I assume she wants some small and unobtrusive speakers. Bose is over priced but passable.

What size room are we talking about.

ps. counter?? Is that in a shop where they put the cash register?

k

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:30 am

Better Off with Something Else.

And that's all I have to say about BOSE.

Evil Gnomes

Post by Evil Gnomes » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:49 pm

Buy Other Sound Equipment :D

Try showing her an audiophile forum, and she might see the opinions others hold about bose

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:56 pm

bose is a fairly good...but expensive audio company

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:37 am

While it appears that better equipment can be had for less amounts of money, a really good sounding under-the-counter CD player cannot be had for any amount of money, lest it be Bose.

I think I'll recommend a slightly-more-expensive bookshelf system and just tell her to get dad to drill it to the bottom of the kitchen cabinets.

While I appreciate the fact that audiophile forums contain a wealth of information about the exact level of suck attained by Bose, advising me to send my mother there to wade through thousands of posts by people with more time, money, and knowledge than the average university trained physicist is perhaps not the best course of action.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:28 am

Listen to it before you buy it, and learn what to listen for before you listen to it. That's what Audiophile forums are good for.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:59 am

Yes, indeed, listen to it before you buy it.

But learn what to listen for? Why? What does that gain you except a need for more expensive audio gear and ears that pick out the flaws in the music rather than the feeling behind it? Your enjoyment of the system should be the guiding factor, not someone else's idea of what constitutes "good" music reproduction. The only time you need to learn what to listen for is if you're producing music so you can distinguish between the music, the recording system, and the playback system.

If you can't tell the difference between various systems, the correct response is to buy the one that's cheapest, or looks the best, or has more features. The wrong response is to decide your ears aren't "good enough" to hear the difference that is obviously there and go hunting for "training" so you can tell the difference.

Just remember: It's the music that's important, not the sound system.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:45 am

Devonavar wrote:Just remember: It's the music that's important, not the sound system.
Ain't that the Truth..... the whole Truth..... and nothing but the Truth..... 8) 8)

nici

Post by nici » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:17 pm

Test with music you know well, if it sounds good to you then its perfect :)

A good system and hearing will enable you to hear flaws, but it also makes it possible to hear the small details on good records.. Boombox to entry-level hifi is a pretty big difference, hifi to high-end not so much unless you have "golden ears" :roll: My mom can't hear a difference between extremely cheap boombox and hifi though, or maybe she doesn't care. Ignorance is bliss i suppose.

As a kid i always disliked my el-cheapo boombox for serious lack of "balls", when i was thirteen i built some kit speakers for 700marks(115€), used my dads old amp from the seventies(free), connected the old boombox from headphone out to tape-in, and was perfectly happy with the much improved ballsiness of the sound :P Now i use those old speakers as speaker stands.

At that time i was also perfectly happy playing online FPS games with mono sound, and did pretty good. Imagine that. Most current gamers will probably ask what mono is... :lol:

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:15 am

When I first played Dune 2 with an AdLib sound card I was amazed at the quality. But I don't like ignorance.