Need CPU cooling advice

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kopykat

Need CPU cooling advice

Post by kopykat » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi all,
I have an EVGA 680i mobo with a E6300 waiting to be overclocked. I have an Antec P180 case.
I was thinking of getting a Scythe Ninja but wasn't sure about a couple of things...
1. Does anyone know of any compatibility issues with the ninja and my mobo?
2. Whats the best fan in terms of cooling performance (noise not an issue)I can get?

If anyone has any other suggestions it would be more than appreciated.
Thank you.

Mike81

Post by Mike81 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 am

Im not 100% sure if the Ninja will fit, it wouldnt fit in my Coolermaster case (not wide enough)

I would consider the Si-128. With it being so slim at the bottom theres nothing iv come across that it wont fit.
And as long as you have a case fan close by you can run passive cooling.

http://www.awd-it.com/scripts/prodView. ... oduct=1409

If you want to run cooler just slap on a very slow spinning 120mm fan.

Mike

kopykat

Post by kopykat » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:19 am

just found someone whose got the same setup as me, same mobo, and case and he has successfully installed the scythe ninja -
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/for ... 2003591831

the thing is i dont know if he installed it with enough room to mount a 120mm fan on it or not.

I dont wanna just run it quiet and cool because I intend to overclock this badboy so i need some serious cooling, obviously the cooler and quieter the better, but cooling comes first when overclocking.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:23 pm

I would then choose a cooler with bolt-throught retention system, like the Ultra-120. Many on these forums aren't getting top notch performance from the stock mounting.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:07 pm

J. Sparrow wrote:I would then choose a cooler with bolt-throught retention system, like the Ultra-120. Many on these forums aren't getting top notch performance from the stock mounting.
It's a crying shame that Scythe insist on compromising their undoubtedly top-notch heatsinks by using the crappy pushpin mounting method for socket 775 CPUs. The recent FiringSquad group test came to the same conclusion. Furthermore, the intermittently problematic mounting bracket for the Ninja rev.B just demonstrates a sloppy inattention to detail, and is completely inexcusable.

I really don't believe many enthusiasts who might buy a high-performance aftermarket HSF would think having to remove the mobo is too high a price to pay for a securely mounted bolt-through heatsink.

Are you listening, Scythe...?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:29 pm

If noise is no factor,then Silent PC is not gonna be able to say more than the obvious-which is that a big loud high RPM fan moves a lot of air-and I guess I'd look for a reputable name for reliability-but why worry-or pay for Nexus-Papst if you intend to run high RPM. Then again---why get a Ninja,since the Infinity is probably more potent when there's relatively more heat to move and more Rpms,noise etc happening.

Considering that chip has the power a Cray mainframe had some years back,and is (at last) an Intel that can run quiet,it seems a shame to OC the thing to the brink of instability,but then I'm no gamer. It could be interesting if in software you could quickly click on a quiet setting and a max-gamer setting. Then a Ninja with a speed controlled fan gives a great range,from passive to medium db/cfm....not sure if this is currently doable.

len509

Post by len509 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:19 pm

ronrem wrote:If noise is no factor,then Silent PC is not gonna be able to say more than the obvious...
I agree. You're probably better off asking this question in an overclocking website forum.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Just to chip in my $0.02 as well, I also think an OC forum might offer better advice.

I also think something with higher fin density, like the mentioned Infinity, might be better for you, since the Ninja as designed with passive/semi-passive cooling in mind. Its widely spaced fins allow air to flow between them easily, which isn't a problem if you're forcing it through with a powerful fan. I vaguely recall a test similar to this at SPCR where a very dense heat sink caught up to or beat the Ninja in cooling once fan speed was cranked up.

For maximum cooling and power I am going to guess that one of the 120x38mm high speed (or even ultra high speed!) NMB-MAT (aka Panaflo) fans are going to be what you would want. The thicker fan design (most 120mm fans are 25mm) develops more static pressure, and the bearing should be pretty durable.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:40 am

I don't see why you are all so eager to direct a new user to another forum ;)

Many people on SPCR forums are overclockers or ex-overclockers, anyway! Somone also posted a fine article on silent cooling of an overclocked system, have you missed it? ;) but he's not called kopykat, and (unsurprisingly) nobody has ever dreamt to direct him to an overclockers' forum...

If kopykat asks here he may have a good reason, and that "noise not a factor" could have another meaning. Maybe he wants to know what the loud fans are to compare them with quieter, slower replacements ? Or he might want to buy a fast fan to use it undervolted...

idiotekniQues

Post by idiotekniQues » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:15 pm

you can use the TT bolt thru kit wiht the ninja. feels solid as a rock now.

i did it here:

i would use washers to increase the pressure as i did between the springs and the mounting clip - or put some between the backplate and the back of the mobo (like 1 or 2 washers plus some insulation) - this will place the threads farther away from the bolt thru screws, allowing you to increase the pressure.

the threading on the screws is not too long so if you dont provide more pressure - you run out of tightening threading room.