WD5000KS w/ AAM Still Audible: Suggestions?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

digitalfeed

WD5000KS w/ AAM Still Audible: Suggestions?

Post by digitalfeed » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:38 pm

I'm hearing a lot of good things about these drives but for some reason I can't but help think the seeks should be a lot softer than how they are now. I can't tell the large difference between my old Seagate and the new WD.

AAM will enable just fine, if anything, I have to listen very carefully to hear that it's quiet down just a tad bit, but not much.

Does anyone have suggestions?

The drive has a date of December 13 2006.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:51 am

AAM was enabled on mine by default, so when I set it to 128, I heard no change. Is your drive suspended or dampened in any way?

I have mine resting on sorbothane blocks in an OrigenAE x11, that's been dampened slightly with some vinyl floor tiles. I can still hear it from the couch (~10ft) when it starts thrashing data around, but only if it's dead quiet in my living room (which it rarely is).

digitalfeed

Post by digitalfeed » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:43 am

I had it hard mounted using rubber grommets but I know about the heavy vibrations. It's kind of hard to suspend in the Aria so, I still haven't figured that one yet. :)

I did remove the drive from inside the case and held it in my hands during drive seeks to see if that helps and it does just a bit, but still the seeks aren't as soft as I believe they should be. I don't see much improvement over my Seagate with AAM at 128.

Are there any differences with newer drives? Here are some more specs on the label:

MDL : WD5000KS - 00MNB0
DATE : 13 DEC 2006
DCM : HCHCAJAHB

By the way, this drive runs really warm. I think it idles around 43C if there's no airflow near it. My Seagate never ran that warm and it's a bit louder.