CPU Temps - Core 2 Duo e6700

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alancfa2001

CPU Temps - Core 2 Duo e6700

Post by alancfa2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:38 am

My new system has a Core 2 Duo e6700 running at stock speed - no overclocking. The CPU temp measured by the ASUS software PC Probe II, shows the CPU temp at 44* immediately upon coming out of hibernation and then settling down around 47* to 49* at idle. When I do a few "easy" things like surf the Internet, the temp goes up to about 50* or 51*. With the software polling every second, it sometimes jumps to 55* for a second or two and then back down to 49* or thereabouts.

To test it under load, I opened Excel and input the Rand() function to generate random numbers in a 12 x 2800 cell matrix and simply held the F9 key to continuously recalculate. The temp stayed at around 55* for a minute and then gradually crept up to 58* where it leveled off. With the side off the case, the temps are about 3* lower, on average (Antec Solo case).

This seems high to me from the searches I have done on SPCR. I know that the software and the built-in temp checking in the CPU is not 100% accurate, but even allowing for that, this seems high.

I have a Scythe Ninja heat sink with a 120mm Nexus Real Silent fan running at full speed. There is another 120mm Nexus RS fan as case exhaust, another 120mm Nexus RS attached to the video card (XFX 9750GT). There are also 2 Nexus RS 92mm case fans at the front of the case to cool the hard drives. All fans are running at full speed, the 120mm fans at 980 to 1040 and the 92mm fans at around 1550 rpm. The MB is an ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi and I have 4gb of OCZ Ram.

I checked to make sure the Ninja bracket was fully seated and the pins clearly pushed through on the back side of the MB. I used Arctic Silver as the thermal medium. I know it is supposed to go on in a thin layer and I applied it by spreading it with my finger, using lots of pressure to ensure that only a thin layer was laid down. I would HATE to have to pull the motherboard, but would be willing to do so if that is the only way to get the temps down.

Not that this is a scientific test, but I checked the Ninja by touching it and it feels like room temp to me. The air coming out the back feels cool when the side panel is off, a bit warm (but not really hot) when the side panel is on.

Anyhow, do these temps seem to you as though this computer is running too hot? I saw an article that talked about CPU case temperature vs junction temp and they said that junction temp was about 15* hotter, but I thought the temp measured by PC Probe II was the case temp and therefore this temp was too high.

Any ideas about how to get it cooler?
Thanks
Alan

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:59 am

Believe what you have read, especially here : http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware ... 21745.html
asus probe isn't that great.

alancfa2001

Post by alancfa2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:25 am

sjoukew wrote:Believe what you have read, especially here : http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware ... 21745.html
asus probe isn't that great.
Thanks. I saw that earlier today and downloaded TAT. When I try to run it, it gives me an error message that says I must be logged in as administrator, that I should log off and try again as the administrator. Trouble is, I AM logged in as the administrator! I am using Vista and I have only one user registered (if that is the correct term) and I checked and found that yes, that is the administrator id. So I'd love to check things out with TAT, but I cannot get it to work!

Anybody have a fix, workaround, incantation...?

donu

Post by donu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:17 am

Right click on TAT, then select Run as Adminstrator.

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:37 am

You may also want to try Core Temp, which is apparently very accurate.

My new ASUS P5B Deluxe reports 44° on my C2D E6600 (with Thermalright XP-90 and Arctic Cooling AF9225 at full speed), but both Core Temp and TAT give 30-33° on the individual cores.

( Hooray for new computer after 5 years! :D )

alancfa2001

Post by alancfa2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:15 pm

HueyCobra wrote:You may also want to try Core Temp, which is apparently very accurate.

My new ASUS P5B Deluxe reports 44° on my C2D E6600 (with Thermalright XP-90 and Arctic Cooling AF9225 at full speed), but both Core Temp and TAT give 30-33° on the individual cores.

Yeah, hooray for me too, but my individual cores from TAT are running around 51*. I tried putting the pc in my computer cabinet and keeping the door open for ventilation and while it does not fry the pc, the temps are up to around 55*.

I keep seeing conflicting info regarding TAT. On one site where you can download the program, it said that TAT temps were much higher than those shown by mobo utilities. You have the opposite experience. In my case, the temps are only a couple of degrees higher, but according to one article, they represent TJunction temps and should be 15* higher than the case temps reported by PC Probe II. Except on Tuesday.

Right now, things seem to be stable around 53* to 54* nothwithstanding that I just wrote a few sentences ago that they were around 55*. I'll try Core Temp and a Ouija Board and average the results. Maybe I can stop worrying.

alancfa2001

Post by alancfa2001 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:35 am

alancfa2001 wrote:
HueyCobra wrote:You may also want to try Core Temp, which is apparently very accurate.

Yeah, hooray for me too, but my individual cores from TAT are running around 51*. I tried putting the pc in my computer cabinet and keeping the door open for ventilation and while it does not fry the pc, the temps are up to around 55*.

I keep seeing conflicting info regarding TAT. On one site where you can download the program, it said that TAT temps were much higher than those shown by mobo utilities. You have the opposite experience. In my case, the temps are only a couple of degrees higher, but according to one article, they represent TJunction temps and should be 15* higher than the case temps reported by PC Probe II. Except on Tuesday.

Right now, things seem to be stable around 53* to 54* nothwithstanding that I just wrote a few sentences ago that they were around 55*. I'll try Core Temp and a Ouija Board and average the results. Maybe I can stop worrying.
I loaded Core Temp and initially the temps were around 3* cooler than TAT was showing. I was getting around 49* to 50* with Core Temp, occasionally cooling down to 46* and once in awhile jumping up to 55*, but for the most part staying in the high 40's. This morning they are in the low 40's, consistently around 41* or 42*.

The ambient temp might be a couple of degrees cooler, but not much besides that. I am happy that the CPU is running cooler, but I do not understand why that is the case. I'll take small victories when they appear, but if anybody has an idea of why the temps are suddenly cooler, please let me know.
Thanks
Alan