New "OCZ" stealth PSU.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

gforcefan

New "OCZ" stealth PSU.

Post by gforcefan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:13 am

http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2007/213

Wonder who makes it? Can't wait for a silentpc review.

Here is a hopefully truthful highlight:

Designed for the value-minded consumer seeking simple, quiet performance, the StealthXStream includes OCZ’s acclaimed reliability and feature-sets with a lower price point.

Ideal for system builders and enthusiasts who prefer a low-key PSU, the StealthXStream focuses on performance, quality, and quiet operation. Even at peak loads, the 600W StealthXStream remains virtually silent and excludes flashy LEDs ensuring the power supply is not seen or heard.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: New "OCZ" stealth PSU.

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:58 am

gforcefan wrote: Wonder who makes it? Can't wait for a silentpc review.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. OCZ is a bling brand, maybe not to the same degree as thermaltake, but they sell rebadged products at a heavy premium to gamers crowd who know no better.

Given that this is aggressively priced PSU and the fact that OCZ won't sell it unless they can make a nice premium on it, I highly doubt it will feature a seasonic or anything fancy, more than likely it will be some OEM FSP rebadged with OCZ sticker. Not to bash FSP, but I'd rather buy same FSP without OCZ markup.

PrivatePixel

Post by PrivatePixel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:35 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote: I wouldn't get your hopes up. OCZ is a bling brand, maybe not to the same degree as thermaltake, but they sell rebadged products at a heavy premium to gamers crowd who know no better.

Given that this is aggressively priced PSU and the fact that OCZ won't sell it unless they can make a nice premium on it, I highly doubt it will feature a seasonic or anything fancy, more than likely it will be some OEM FSP rebadged with OCZ sticker. Not to bash FSP, but I'd rather buy same FSP without OCZ markup.
From what I'm seeing on StealthXStream's product page, the PSU has an understated appearance. Unlike the GameXStream, there are no LCD fans; just a regular 120mm fan (that's supposedly quiet). From my experience, OCZ has been pretty good with rebate offers, so IMHO, they are on par with its competitors (even if they're nothing more than rebadged units).

I don't think they should be dismissed because they bear the OCZ name; the StealthXStream should be evaluated on its own merit, just like every other PSU model out there. Even though the Corsair HX620 is my foremost choice for my next build, I would be foolish to pass on an inexpensive yet comparable alternative.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:43 am

Not all specs are reassuring, 3.3V and 5V have highish output but then there's nothing about 12V output except standard virtual rail PR BS.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:50 am

I don't think they should be dismissed because they bear the OCZ name; the StealthXStream should be evaluated on its own merit, just like every other PSU model out there. Even though the Corsair HX620 is my foremost choice for my next build, I would be foolish to pass on an inexpensive yet comparable alternative.
All we're saying is this would be the first ever OCZ supply to be SPCR-recommendable. If even OCZ are starting to produce a quiet PSU it says a lot about how much more mainstream quiet computing has become.

gforcefan

Post by gforcefan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:41 am

That is why we wait and see - you don't know until the product is actually out there.

But what I particularly liked about this psu, is the LACK of bling. It doesn't mean it will necessarily be quiet, but I took that to be a good first sign.

Oleg Artamonov

Post by Oleg Artamonov » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:03 pm

gforcefan wrote:Wonder who makes it?
I'm not sure, but I think it's FSP with quality fans. Like Zalman ZM460B-APS and ZM600-HP — FSP electronics with quiet Minebea fans.

YugenM

Post by YugenM » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:10 am

Powerstream wasn't that loud, although the crap intake fan made really scratchy bearing noise that was by far the loudest fan in my PC (One on 7000b at 5V, two in PSU).

$0.10 fan in a $150 PSU :(

Voltage is really stable, but made me wonder where most of the money was going.

Swapped the fans out with a pair of Panaflo L1's, but since I switched to Intel at the same time and found myself listening to the screeching banshee of a stock cooler, I've yet to notice any real difference in noise output from the PSU. (Oh well, one less annoying blue LED fan)

Maelwys

Post by Maelwys » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:30 am

It looks an awful lot like a Corsair which we already know is well rated and from personal experience is one of the best power supplies I've had the pleasure of working with. I guess it all depends on what price point the OCZ ends up selling at.
PrivatePixel wrote:From my experience, OCZ has been pretty good with rebate offers, so IMHO, they are on par with its competitors (even if they're nothing more than rebadged units).
Unfortunately, my experience with OCZ rebates has been exactly the opposite: They've rejected me twice for technicalities. On the other hand, my one Corsair MIR was pretty quick.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:13 am

I'll wait for Mushkin to put some rebates on their PSs again.

z3r0

Post by z3r0 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:27 pm

The off center fan placement, the way the honeycomb exhaust is cut, and the fact the OCZ already sells a 600w rebranded FSP units kinda point to it being a FSP unit with a different fan and hopefully different heatsinks. And it's most likely going to perform the same acoustically as the Zalman ZM600 due to it more then likely shares the same fan, controller and electronics.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:19 pm

z3r0
You forgot the blue power switch :wink: