Audigy LS vs. X-fi

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Audigy LS vs. X-fi

Post by GamingGod » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:23 pm

Is there any real difference is the new model Creative cards? I still have an old Audigy LS card I was thinking of using in my new rig. I dont mind buying a new card for under $50. But I would like to notice the difference.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:30 pm

You will not likely notice a difference. However, if its for music--and not games--you will probably enjoy a better sound card like an auzentech. The creative sound cards are not the best for music, many other cards are supreme in that realm. Creative cards are the best gaming cards.

Derek

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:48 pm

I went from an Audigy 4 to a Creative X-fi xtrememusic and was disappointed. Many games exhibited the regular static problems, and I didn't hear a difference in sound quality. I'm pretty picky about sound, so this was a big factor in my switching back to my audigy.

Xhyra

Post by Xhyra » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 am

Going from an Audigy 2 to an X-Fi pro gamer I did notice the effect the crystalizer had on the sound from my computer, it sounded more crisp. However I haven't noticed much improved in my gaming experience (though to be fair, I don't play many games with the option for X-Fi).

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 am

So what would you recommend for a gaming card under $50.???
I guess it has to be creative, I will probably be using logitech z530's, and sometimes headphones. I listen to music, but I mainly want it for games.

Maelwys

Post by Maelwys » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:43 am

For a good card under $50, Creative is probably the best way to go. I've been down on them though for a while due to driver issues and I'm generally not a fan of all the EAX effects - they sound too fakey sometimes.

For my own use, I run an Auzentech and love it, especially for music playback. It also sounds great in games, although admittedly I only use a 2.1 speaker setup and generally use headphones, so I can't comment on its surround capabilities. They're just a bit over $50 though these days, and I think they're worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829127001

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:37 pm

I did notice the audio difference going from Audigy 2 to the extrememusic (not not all X-fi cards have the x-fi chip), but that's because I have above average headphones and way above average hifi-system.
As for the crystalizer, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a booster for the lower and higher frequencies (loudness) but more importantly it adds a lot of distorsion to the signal.

So I disable that, and also CMMS and make sure to run in a"udio creation mode" and "bit matched playback" enabled for best music quality.

Have also compared the x-fi audio to a Benchmark DAC1 which of course plays in a completely different field... :)

X-fi is by no means an audiophile card. So far I have not heard soundcards that can beat a good DAC.
Last edited by Kaleid on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:33 pm

Chaintech has a soundcard for about $25 that's better audio than most of creative's stuff. I don't know if there's some areas where it's not so hot for a game,but it's the Via Envy 24 chip-often used in studio cards..won't have the static crap some creative stuff has.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:05 am

Kaleid, don't you hate that crystalizer? Admittadely, at first thought it is like "wow this might work." Then you realize, WTF? this is just adding more treble and more bass. WHAT IS SO REVOLUTIONARY ABOUT THIS PIECE OF SHIT?????????????

Then you think wow, this was not worth it :oops:

Should have went with auzentech :x

Trying to sell the X-Fi Platinum right now. Its not easy :oops:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:33 am

ill buy that x-fi platinum for $50.US

I just want the best card for gaming under $50.US Compatibility is more important than getting the very best card. But it does have to be better than motherboard sound.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:57 am

haha are you kidding me? $50 US for an almost brand new X-FI platinum? hahahahahahhahaha.

I think some good options around $50 US are the X-FI OEM, the chaintech, and maybe an Audigy 4. Or search ebay, Creative sells refurbished sound cards on ebay.

Derek

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:17 am

Kaleid wrote:I did notice the audio difference going from Audigy 2 to the extrememusic (not not all X-fi cards have the x-fi chip), but that's because I have above average headphones and way above average hifi-system.
No, it's because the SB 128 through Audigy 2 have had a crappy hardware resampler. Many cheaper cards have been better for music than the Audigy 2.
So far I have not heard soundcards that can beat a good DAC.
Have most of these DACs had their own power sources (that's where I would think most of the real differences would lie, as you're listening as much to the DAC section as the power rails going to it), out of curiosity? I've been thinking of tackling a few DIY ones.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:40 am

Cerb wrote:
Kaleid wrote:I did notice the audio difference going from Audigy 2 to the extrememusic (not not all X-fi cards have the x-fi chip), but that's because I have above average headphones and way above average hifi-system.
No, it's because the SB 128 through Audigy 2 have had a crappy hardware resampler. Many cheaper cards have been better for music than the Audigy 2.
So far I have not heard soundcards that can beat a good DAC.
Have most of these DACs had their own power sources (that's where I would think most of the real differences would lie, as you're listening as much to the DAC section as the power rails going to it), out of curiosity? I've been thinking of tackling a few DIY ones.
Well, I have owned other cards than Creative's like M-Audio's highly praised non-resampling Revolution 7.1 (which I found lacked dynamics).

Yes, the DACs I've had all had external powersupplies and none have of course been placed inside a computer which has plenty of electromagnetic interference. I do believe there's more to it though, I believe all the DACs I've had for instance have had better analog output devices, but a lot of that has to do with price. It's difficult to find good cheap DACs unless you go for the DYI or used route. However, cheap soundcards with cheaper components are easy to locate.
For the PC crowd it's difficult to sell high-fidelity audio.

Of course, there's a lot of snake oil selling to the hifi crowd like Shaktis, ultra highly priced cables and the like... :lol:

pputer

Post by pputer » Wed May 09, 2007 5:04 am

derekchinese wrote:You will not likely notice a difference. However, if its for music--and not games--you will probably enjoy a better sound card like an auzentech. The creative sound cards are not the best for music, many other cards are supreme in that realm. Creative cards are the best gaming cards.

Derek
What makes the Auzentech better for music? If I wanted a sound card for making music (using mixers/amps etc.), what is the best sound card or system (cards, hardware etc.) to use?

Is the Auzentech better than the X-Fi (that includes the hardware bracket?)?

PrivatePixel

Post by PrivatePixel » Wed May 09, 2007 9:47 am

pputer wrote:What makes the Auzentech better for music? If I wanted a sound card for making music (using mixers/amps etc.), what is the best sound card or system (cards, hardware etc.) to use?

Is the Auzentech better than the X-Fi (that includes the hardware bracket?)?
I found this quip in an online review rather intriguing (taken from Guru3D):
In closing, the X-Meridian has the cleanest, most detailed analog output I’ve ever heard in a PC. Throw on some Police or Flaming Lips and prepare to be transported to another dimension. It's that good! However, possessing so much detail can be overwhelming sometimes when you’re only listening with half-an ear. If you are a little bit tired or just want to listen to music for the heck of it, not being so analytical about listening, the X-Mer may trouble you. The X-Mer being so high resolution also reveals flaws in your source recording mercilessly. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.
The full 14-page review can be found here. If this card supports Dolby Digital Plus, I may put this on my short list (I'll consider any sound option as long as it's not a Creative product :wink: )