19" rack enclosure for hard drives

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silence_seeker

19" rack enclosure for hard drives

Post by silence_seeker » Tue May 15, 2007 12:20 am

Has anyone mounted hard drives in a 19" rack enclosure before?

Having a laptop and other 19" rack mounted equipment I've been wondering if that would be a good option (I've got vibration problems with my current external enclosure and a Samsung 400GB IDE drive).

I was thinking that I could buy an empty 19" rack enclosure, drill the necessary holes, figuring out the best way of mounting the drives in a vibration-free way etc.
I could fit at least two drives inside the enclosure that way!

I see there's a company which supplies ready-made 19" rack enclosures for hard drives. Nice, but way too pricey at US$ 375 for enclosure alone (it doesn't look like they've done anything to remove noise either, which is an important point for me -actually the biggest reason for considering a this project):

I can't use it anyway since my Powerbook only accepts Firewire 400/800 and USB. My existing enclosure have all three interfaces, which I think is a good idea -suggestions for a suitable "bridge" interface board?

With a solution like this I could have all my drives in one place, find the optimal solution for removing drive/vibration noise, do away with all the "wall wart" AC adaptors (I would mount a power supply inside the enclosure).
Any comments, experience or suggestions?

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:17 pm

you could just enclose them and then slap them in the closet hehe.