P182 Top fan which way

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falcon26

P182 Top fan which way

Post by falcon26 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:57 am

I took out the took fan in my antec p182 case and replaced it with a better fan. Now I forgot which way it was going. Do I put the fan in so it blows air down towards the cpu or do I put it up so it blows air up and out? I also have a rear exhaust fan as well. I want lower cpu temps so what would be the best way to place it?

Thanks

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:41 am

try both?

pushing in may bring in fresh air and help lower cpu temps--but could be very dusty

pulling out may help reduce cpu temps if there is heat build up at the top of your case

Everyone's configuration is different, so you just have to test it yourself. Looking at the p182, at stock, the top fan is used as exhaust.

Hope this helps
Derek

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:48 pm

Ok I tried putting it in the out position and my temps pretty much stayed the same. I then put it so it blew air in and it did lower my temps, but its louder going in than going out :-( So I can either have lower temps or a slightly louder system..

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Thats abit strange isn't it? I wonder why it is louder going in. How much cooler is it? I guess you will have to balance between cooling performance and noise.

Here is another idea: why not try using the rear exhaust fan as an intake fan to feed your heatsink, and then have the top fan as an exhaust fan to pull the heat from the heatsink? This may work better and may reduce both noise and temps!

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:47 pm

This really depends on how much power your CPU draws.

If you have an old Pentium 4 (or worse yet a Pentium D), then you will see noticeable temperature differences with various fan orientations. For example, with a Ninja on a P4, having one of the fans blow in reduces the CPU temperature significantly, and raises the system temperature only a little.

On the other hand, if you have a more efficient CPU (Athlon or C2D), it is best to have both fans blowing out (or else just using one fan), and turning the RPMs way down.

EDIT: Hmph. Just saw your signature, which says C2D. Unless your system is quite exotic like mine, you will get very good cooling and low noise with the rear fan blowing out, and the top fan removed and its hole blocked off.

robaal

Post by robaal » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:55 pm

derekchinese wrote:Thats abit strange isn't it? I wonder why it is louder going in. How much cooler is it?
I imagine it might be caused by either the grill (or the "spoiler") being too restrictive for the amount of airflow.

Or maybe it's some bearing issue?

I was under the impression that fighting convection like that is a bad idea - I would expect the case temps to rise over time...

dude

Post by dude » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:02 am

Try moving it to the where the hard drive cage in the upper part of the chassis is instead; maybe it will be both quiet and effective.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:17 pm

I tried flipping the top Antec fan in my P182 so it pointed down and my C2D E6700 wasn't cooled any better but it DID make more noise.
It's looks like the grill adds to the noise in this orientation.
I wish the P182 had removable grills because I usually remove them for exactly this reason.