***Ducting Maddness!!!*** :)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Edwood

***Ducting Maddness!!!*** :)

Post by Edwood » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:44 am

DUCTING MADNESS!!!

**edit UPDATED 8-4-2003 If you can't see the pics, then go here.

It gets pretty hot here in SoCal, so I had decided to create a ducting system to pipe the hot air outside. Along with the ducting, I constructed a

muffler box for the back of the computer to silence the rear fan noise as well. I also wanted the muffler to be easily removed.

So without further adieu. . .
Muffler box in place.

Muffler box is built out of cheap pine board, painted black. The Plastic ducting hose is from Rockler Woodworking store. It is meant for dust

collection systems. There are lots of quick connect/disconnect adapters I bought for use.

Ducting to the Window

The Ducting is routed underneath a wall mounted shelf. Note that the exhaust port can be closed.

Fan Module

I initally used a 120mm Sunon. It was a low speed fan, but it has balance issues and is chattering like crazy. I used a thermal sensor board, so it

was kinda ghetto, wires hanging out and all(in progress pics to come). I replaced it with a better balanced 120mm fan with thermal sensor built in.

I ended up using a 120mm Papst Variofan. Much quieter now.

Heheh, more pics to follow...

-Ed
Last edited by Edwood on Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:02 am

Nice!!!

What are your temps?

Keel

Post by Keel » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:11 am

wow looks pretty good. aren't you afraid of birds/rocks/leaves clogging the up the fan though? :lol:

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Post by chiahaochang » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:17 am

That's some serious ducting. Nice job.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:20 am

The Plastic ducting hose is from Rockler Woodworking store. It is meant for dust collection systems.
Is this a 120mm duct ? Because I've been looking for a 120mm duct at local hardware stores and I can't find them. They're standardized for clothes dryers which use something else - I think 112mm or so.

Also, it looks like you have a hard plastic piece connected perfectly to each side of your Papst fan, which in turn are connected to the duct on each end. What is it and where'd you find it ?

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:43 am

Keel wrote:wow looks pretty good. aren't you afraid of birds/rocks/leaves clogging the up the fan though? :lol:
Nope, there is a window screen there. Now, heavy rainstorms are another issue. I am going to probably put a splash guard over the ducting hole. I'll show a pic of the outside view of the ducting hole later. It already has a good amount of "lip" hanging out to prevent minor water splashing from getting in. Again, I can always close the duct hole if I need to. Also, as often as it rains in Southern California, I'm not in a real big hurry. :)

-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:54 am

marc999 wrote:
The Plastic ducting hose is from Rockler Woodworking store. It is meant for dust collection systems.
Is this a 120mm duct ? Because I've been looking for a 120mm duct at local hardware stores and I can't find them. They're standardized for clothes dryers which use something else - I think 112mm or so.

Also, it looks like you have a hard plastic piece connected perfectly to each side of your Papst fan, which in turn are connected to the duct on each end. What is it and where'd you find it ?
It's not a perfect fit, it's a good centimeter or two smaller in diameter. As I mentioned, I bought it at Rockler Woodworking Store.

The closable port on the window is called a blast gate.
I had to modify the parts I used for the fan module. There isn't a pic on the site. Basically it's a much larger square than the one you see connected to the fan. I think it's the Jointer Dust Hood.

If you have a Rockler store near you, just ask for the dust collection hoses and adapters.

-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:02 pm

POLIST8 wrote:Nice!!!

What are your temps?
Running F@H3 24/7 on a P4 2.4B gives me 41C CPU, 35C, 34C as listed by Motherboard Monitor 5. Not sure what those other two temps are.

I'm going to put a temp probe in the case to see what the case temps are soon.

-Ed

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:30 pm

I bow down and worship the king !!!!! :o

Seriosuly impressive...

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:10 pm

Muffler Box

Inside of Muffler Box

Lined the inside with 1" Sonex acoustic foam. I bought it from 2CoolTek. Cheapest price I could find where you could order smaller pieces of Sonex foam.

Close up pic of the Foam

Painted Pieces of Muffler Box before Assembly

-Ed

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:42 pm

Haven't been able to see your pictures at either link since 4pm 7/24/03. :(

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:43 am

ocp link worked for me just now
nice tubes there ;)

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:41 am

aphonos wrote:Haven't been able to see your pictures at either link since 4pm 7/24/03. :(
I guess theforumisdown.com doesn't support SPCR forums?

That's too bad.

-Ed

Edwood

Exterior Pics

Post by Edwood » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:17 am

Outside Exhaust Port[

Closeup of Exhaust Port

Yep, a nice screen is in place to keep the critter out. Still have to do something about rain.

Inside View of Exhaust Port

-Ed
Last edited by Edwood on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:17 am

the pics don't work for me.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:51 am

Nope, apparently TFID doesn't work with SPCR. Edwood already knew this, but tried again anyway. Very stimulating. If you go to the top post, he links to the [H]ardForum topic, and all the pics are there.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:51 pm

I'm very curious to see this, but the images don't work for me here, or at [H]ardForum.

I've got my desk of 4-6 computers right below a window. Which (also in SoCal) stays open nearly 24/7. But its still not enough to keep the room very cool sometimes.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:01 pm

Zyzzyx wrote:I'm very curious to see this, but the images don't work for me here, or at [H]ardForum.
I normally use Mozilla Firebird to browse, but found I had to use IE6 at the hardfourms in order to view the pictures. What browser are you using?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:06 pm

Using Opera7.1 Pulled up the HardForum link in IE6 and was able to view them. I've seen occasional websites that don't render properly, but this is the first time I've seen an image link like this not work.

Oh well, not enough to make me stop using Opera. Interesting ductwork though!

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:29 pm

i saw it in hardforum first. i guess i have to pull out ie6

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:08 pm

Funny thing, there was a thunderstorm last night. Couldn't have been better timing. The dryer duct I added really did the trick. Held up great to the first trial by fire....er...uh....Water.

:P

-Ed

Ginta

Post by Ginta » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:54 am

Sweet duct work :D (now that I can see the pics)
Ed, thanks for pointing out that Rockler carries these parts. I had given up on ducting after checking Home Depot and finding nothing usable. I stopped by the Torrance location on the way home and it looks like they have everything I need for a muffler project I had in mind.

For the Jointer Dust Hood, did you cut the flanges off then use 4" quick disconnect fittings? Approximately how much did you spend on parts?

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:53 am

Ginta wrote:Sweet duct work :D (now that I can see the pics)
Ed, thanks for pointing out that Rockler carries these parts. I had given up on ducting after checking Home Depot and finding nothing usable. I stopped by the Torrance location on the way home and it looks like they have everything I need for a muffler project I had in mind.

For the Jointer Dust Hood, did you cut the flanges off then use 4" quick disconnect fittings? Approximately how much did you spend on parts?
Yep, I cut off the flanges. I bought the one that is square and kind of "dished". I used an Xacto knife (be careful!) and scored the plastic over and over and then bent the plastic to snap it.

Yep I used the quick disconnects, the one's with the threaded end.
All the parts cost about $70+ . Not cheap.

-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:20 pm

New 120mm Panaflo L1A Being installed.

Definitely quieter than the Sunon I used with about the same amount of airflow.
Unfortunately, even this fan has started the annoying buzzing (alot quiter than the Sunon, though. Can no one make a 120mm fan that doesn't have balance issues? I guess I'll have to give in and try the Papst Model 4412 FGLb next. The Papst Variofan I used didn't have the balance issues, but it didn't have enough airflow.

-Ed