Formatting large hard disk

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HushPlease

Formatting large hard disk

Post by HushPlease » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:23 pm

So, I finally put together a quiet system. Everything went fairly smoothly except for working around a Ninja and those blasted fan clips. Things went smoothly until I went to install a fresh copy of XP I've had for a while. Problem is, I can boot off the CD, but when I go to format my nice shiny new 500GB Samsung, it can only recognize 127GB or so, and I really don't want to deal with partitioning.

So my question is how I can get the HD formatted w/o a partition? (I would just slap the drive into another system but the new drive is SATA and nothing else around here is).

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:43 pm

I believe you need Service Pack 2 to see all the space on the drive. You can make a new XP CD with SP2 slimstreamed into it with a program like nlite. A Google search will bring up instructions on how to do this.

Personally though I think you should partition it and after it's installed put SP2 on it and recover the rest of the space as a 2nd partition. If something corrupts Windows and you want to reformat/reinstall, anything you put on the 2nd partition won't be touched, i.e. all the data you want to keep. I like to make an image of my Windows partition using Ghost right after it's been fulling updated and the drivers have been installed, and put it on my 2nd partition. When I want to startover with a fresh copy of Windows I just restore that image, no fuss, no muss.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Yes, you need at least the Service Pack 1 to get the 48 bit LBA support in Windows XP.