Speedfan automatic fan speeds?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alluringreality

Speedfan automatic fan speeds?

Post by alluringreality » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks to the forum I can now use speedfan to manually adjust my fan speeds. What I can't seem to figure out is if it's possible to use the program to run from startup and automatically control speeds by temperature like Easy Tune can do. On Easy Tune you just set two speeds and when the temperature goes over a set limit the fan changes speed. Is there a way to do this on speedfan?

From what I've read from people giving how they use speedfan I think it's possible, but when I try to do something similar to what they're explaining it seems to have no effect. Considering the config->advanced->software-controlled switch I was originally missing, I'm wondering if there's again some simple thing I don't have set right that allows automatic control where the program could run from startup and not need me to manually change speed.

Towermax

Re: Speedfan automatic fan speeds?

Post by Towermax » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 am

alluringreality wrote:Thanks to the forum I can now use speedfan to manually adjust my fan speeds. What I can't seem to figure out is if it's possible to use the program to run from startup and automatically control speeds by temperature like Easy Tune can do.
Yes, it's completely possible--that's how I run Speedfan. Go to Configure and:

- on the Temperature tab, highlight each item whose temp you want to control and make sure you have "desired" and "warning" temperatures set.

- on the same tab, highlight and open each item to be controlled, and make sure that only the fans that can affect that particular item are selected.

- go to the Speeds tab and set min and max speeds for each controllable fan, and make sure you check the "automatically variated" box at the bottom.

- hit the "OK" button to save your changes.

- make sure that the "Automatic Fan Speed" box is checked on the Speedfan startup screen.

That should do it. Oh, and if you haven't already done so, put a Speedfan shortcut in your startup folder.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:50 am

There are a few tutorials for SpeedFan around that should help. It is a bit fiddly to get it working right, but it does work well.

puscifer

Post by puscifer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:43 am

is there a way for speedfan to include vga temps? i wanted to cool my passive gainward 8600gt silentfx with the top cage fan on the p180 but theres no way to install the diode on speedfan, is there?

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:29 am

puscifer wrote:is there a way for speedfan to include vga temps?..
No, but I've seen it mentioned as a feature for future versions.

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Post by Ryan Norton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:38 am

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I have a related Speedfan question.

I'd like to have a specific speed set at startup. My situation is that my P5B Deluxe motherboard only has one PWM channel for controlling the 3 controllable fan headers, so I'm just going to pick a speed for those three fans to run at. I don't want to have to set "Speed04" down to 50% or whatever every time I power my PC on.

I've tried setting 50%, my target speed, as the max speed on Speed04 but the fans still start at 100%. Do I need to enable "Automatic Fan Speed?" I don't really want the fans to vary their speed in tune with any of the temperatures, since like I said this Asus board will only change all the speeds at once.

alluringreality

Post by alluringreality » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:02 pm

You could have it run auto. Set your desired speed to the minimum. Then set the regulating temp high and it will never increase the fan speeds. For instance my motherboard temp doesn't seem to vary very much, so setting it even 10C high would be a temp that doesn't seem likely to ever reach

Another way might be to turn down the maximum speed to your desired speed and set the regulating temp low so that it always runs on maximum.

There's probably other ways to get what you're wanting to work, but based on my use of the program one of those two would probably do what you want.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:39 pm

Is everyone aware that the SpeedFan program comes with an *excellent* detailed tutorial on how to use it to control temperature with PWM fans? And that if you can run SpeedFan you have this tutorial available immediately right now, nothing to (additionally) download?

That's because you double-click on a link to run the program. Instead, click on Start, click on Programs, click on SpeedFan, click on Help & How-To, then at the bottom of the resulting list click on Configure and start reading - the program will take you by the hand for the rest of the journey. :D

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Here's a question I have about SpeedFan. When my computer boots up, Speedfan does not automatically start - I have to double-click the desktop icon in order for the program to run and control the fans based on the settings within Speedfan. Is there a way to get SpeedFan to start when my computer boots up?

Thanks!

burebista

Post by burebista » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm

Put it in Startup folder?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:59 am

Start menu -> All programs -> Startup

That's it in Windows XP. Any shortcuts in that folder will execute at startup. Drag a shortcut there with your right mouse button, release when in and select Copy here. Done, and the original shortcut stays where it was.

The startup folder should be there in earlier versions of Windows as well. Same basic idea.