P182 - Is this the proper way for fan cooling?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bumjin

P182 - Is this the proper way for fan cooling?

Post by bumjin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:51 pm

The light blue arrows indicates where the fans will be blowing (airflow).

Am I doing the set-up correctly?

Feel free to correct my mistakes or point out suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Xhyra

Post by Xhyra » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes.

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeah, thats the standard setup

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:09 pm

Correct, but you'll probably find you can cool acceptably with just one or two case fans. The top fan in particular doesn't help IMO, and your PSU fan will adequately cool one or two drives in the lower bay.

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:03 pm

I also had a similar topic discussion on another forum. Here is my picture:

One of the question were/are:

1)
Would you advice to place a fan on 4 AND 5 at the same time? But do bear in mind that I want to have a Ninja Rev B with no fan + I have a passive cooled GT8600

I'm thinking using one of these 2 setups:

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:24 pm

The.Jackal wrote: Would you advice to place a fan on 4 AND 5 at the same time? But do bear in mind that I want to have a Ninja Rev B with no fan + I have a passive cooled GT8600
Well, i wouldn't advise putting a fan at [5] there since its somewhat unnecessary - its overkill, 2 120's for just 3 HD's?

What processor are you cooling with the Ninja? since going passive isn't nearly as effective as a push-pull...

I would just stick fans at [1], [A], and [4], you get the push pull effectiveness for the CPU, and some cooling for the HD's and case/gpu area. 3 yate D12SL-12's or Nexus 120's can easily keep your temps down and still be very quiet...

The top rear exhaust is somewhat useless and the fan at [6] is only good if you have a hot PSU/HD area, but if you're only using a 8600, a seasonic S12 430 is good enough, and that shouldn't need additional cooling

But you can add a fan at [6] if you have lots of HDs in that compartment down there...just be forewarned, if you do put a fan down there, it's gonna get real crowded

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:41 pm

I'll have 1, A, 4, (possibly 6) and B from below since it puts my Corsair PSU cables nearer the back plate of the case. (From above as in your pic. is also OK, take what is most convenient for you).

3 will require some cutting I believe (i don't use 3). B + hole taping the back of the lower chamber for 1-2 hard drive use or 6 (for >2 hard drives use) is enough and quieter (fan further from in/out).

Might put a fan on passive graphic card cooler too (ziptied with 1-2 mm loose air gap clearance).

I'll open as much as possible around card slots (P180B already has some vent holes there and remove the card slot plates).
And get a Scythe Kama Bay
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html
SPCR Review of Kama Bay
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article672-page5.html

or a Silverstone CFP51
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 1&area=usa
Very good looking and sturdy piece and you can still mount your hard drives if you have enough space in your case for it (HD will probably be further back than usual).

Some real SPCR fanatics would say there are to many fans (noise sources) in there, I know. :D

Needless to say you should undervolt your fans.
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info laguz1.

I should have posted more specs (I hope im not hijacking this topic now).

(I still have to receive all the hardware in the next couple of days)

+ The Ninja will cool a E6750 that i will be running around 3.0Ghz. But I wonder if I can have a E6750 at 3.0 passive cooled with a Ninja (I doubt it)

+ I will be using Nexus 120MM fans only

+ I'm gonna make a custom HD suspension in the 5.25" DVD bay area so not in the 3" bays.

+ The Reason to put a fan on [5] is to give my passive GT8600 a bit of a break.

+ I will be using the Corsair 520Watt PSU. Not a seasonic.

- So Its for the best to LEAVE OUT fan [3] and [6] since Corsair PSU cooling will be sufficient enough on its own?

- So a Fan on [4] AND [5] would be overkill? But as said above, I will be leaving out the fans in the lower "psu" chamber since that's a closed chamber.

- I guess I just HAVE to use fan on the Ninja in combination with the E6750 running around 3.0? :(

* Since I'm a newbie, I don't know how to undervolt fans. I'm just gonna plug the fans onto to motherboard. But I'm also aiming for a silent PC. Thats why I got a passive cooled 8600GT and try to have the Ninja passive with no fan. So to compensate all of this I was thinking I pretty much have to have more then 2 casefans.

* I also bought like a Be Quiet Noise Absorber Kit, Nexus Silicon Fan Mounts, Nexus Silicon Absorbers,120 mm and replaced my recently bought Seagate 7200.10 for a Samsung T166. All in the effort to get a quiet rig, as many of you :p

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:19 pm

The.Jackal wrote:+ I will be using Nexus 120MM fans only
Thats OK, Noctua, Scythe S-Flex and Nexus are your choices.
The.Jackal wrote:- So Its for the best to LEAVE OUT fan [3] and [6] since Corsair PSU cooling will be sufficient enough on its own?
Yes but remember to tape your lower chamber case holes on the back (not the big PSU hole of course).
The.Jackal wrote:- So a Fan on [4] AND [5] would be overkill? But as said above, I will be leaving out the fans in the lower "psu" chamber since that's a closed chamber.
Well, equal number of intake and exhaust fans will only make flow go between them, then only one of them will do.
The.Jackal wrote:- I guess I just HAVE to use fan on the Ninja in combination with the E6750 running around 3.0? :(
I think you'd better do this for safety reasons (longer lifetime).
The.Jackal wrote:* Since I'm a newbie, I don't know how to undervolt fans. I'm just gonna plug the fans onto to motherboard.
Well with an Asus mobo you can use speedfan software or BIOS. There's probably also some possibilities for Gigabyte but they are less good for this I think. You can get a Zalman MFC2 as well but then you'll loose one 5.25" bay.
The.Jackal wrote:But I'm also aiming for a silent PC. Thats why I got a passive cooled 8600GT and try to have the Ninja passive with no fan. So to compensate all of this I was thinking I pretty much have to have more then 2 casefans.
Well you have my solution above.
The.Jackal wrote:* I also bought like a Be Quiet Noise Absorber Kit, Nexus Silicon Fan Mounts, Nexus Silicon Absorbers,120 mm
That is some serious extra things you do.:D
The.Jackal wrote:and replaced my recently bought Seagate 7200.10 for a Samsung T166.
Yeees, that is your best move, you will not regret that. :D

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:26 pm

yeah...now you might be hijacking this thread.. :o lol, jk
The.Jackal wrote: + The Ninja will cool a E6750 that i will be running around 3.0Ghz. But I wonder if I can have a E6750 at 3.0 passive cooled with a Ninja (I doubt it)
yeah, your suspicions are confirmed...3.0 ghz passive isn't a smart choice

Good choice on the PSU - the HX520 is literally the same layout and internal fan as Seasonic, same top quality too...but 520 watts is definitely a little too much for just an E6750, 8600GT, and a couple of HDs.... The Seasonic S12 430 is a better choice, unless you already bought the HX520...
The.Jackal wrote: - So Its for the best to LEAVE OUT fan [3] and [6] since Corsair PSU cooling will be sufficient enough on its own?

- So a Fan on [4] AND [5] would be overkill? But as said above, I will be leaving out the fans in the lower "psu" chamber since that's a closed chamber.

- I guess I just HAVE to use fan on the Ninja in combination with the E6750 running around 3.0?
- You probably can cut fan [6] out of the picture, since your PSU won't be under stress with your given components. I'm not sure if you can even put a fan at [3]..? Maybe w/ some modding you can.
- Yeah, fans at both [4] and [5] are overkill, you should one of them in though at least...i would put it at [4] and take out the HD cage entirely, since [4] already has fan mountings (not sure if you can soft mount here?)
- Yeah, i would recommend a push-pull with the Nexus's...and don't worry, its not gonna be loud

Otherwise than that...damn! noise absorber kit? silicon fan mounts? silicon 120mm absorbers? a flying cow? jk. But honestly, thats some hardcore quieting you got going. I would return the silicon 120mm fan mount, it kinda is redundant if you also put the silicon fan mountings. I know for a fact you can soft mount the rear exhaust, but i'm not sure about the front fan [4]. Is the noise absorber kit like sound foam? if so, that's not necessary either since the P180/P182 already have good sound dampening. It's really up to you though, but i think the sound foam won't make a huge difference for the money you pay...

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:52 pm

laguz1 wrote:I would return the silicon 120mm fan mount, it kinda is redundant if you also put the silicon fan mountings. I know for a fact you can soft mount the rear exhaust, but i'm not sure about the front fan [4]. Is the noise absorber kit like sound foam? if so, that's not necessary either since the P180/P182 already have good sound dampening. It's really up to you though, but i think the sound foam won't make a huge difference for the money you pay...
Good point laguz1. Yes when your fans are unervolted they will not vibrate very much. I would advise you (the Jakal and others) to wait buying these expensive "extra" things. Your money might be waisted. It might help some but your Corsair will make some noise too so don't expect too much.

Softmounting the PSU will not help significantly much either unfortunately. That is why I haven't seen anybody do this at SPCR but maybe there are some threads about it?

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:02 pm

thanks alex
Alex wrote: Softmounting the PSU will not help significantly much either unfortunately. That is why I haven't seen anybody do this at SPCR but maybe there are some threads about it?
the p180/p182 already has some sort of soft mounting for the PSU in its cage - its a silicone liner thing...not sure if it works wonders, but at least the Antec people tried :o

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:17 pm

laguz1 wrote:the p180/p182 already has some sort of soft mounting for the PSU in its cage - its a silicone liner thing...not sure if it works wonders, but at least the Antec people tried :o
Yes P180/182 has like 1 mm thick silicone strips. It is not much but the point is that it is enough because more softmounting will not help unfortunately. It is better to have your PSU sturdily mounted.

I have tried softmounting my PSU with rubber strips for window frames and foam and the change is not particularily noticeable. Compared to softmounted hard drives (helps a lot) softmounting PSU is worthless (at least relatively if it helps at all).

Thank you too laguz1. :D

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:05 pm

@ ALEX:

* I've read about the "taping lowe chamber" thing. But I still dont get what part or wich holes? Could you perhaps be a bit more specific about this (with like a picture(s))

@ LAGUZ1

~ As you have guessed, The Corsair is already ordered. But the extra watt aint a problem I guess for the future.

~ Well i think there is room for a fan @ [3]. Since I will be putting my HD in the 5.2" bay.

~ About the Silicon Fan Mounts, Silicon Absorbers, they are pretty cheap.. When i was doing my whole order, I was like.... you know.. I might as well do some of these as well since they are pretty cheap. The only thing expensive was the Be Quiet Noise Absorber Kit (20.00 euro)

BUT the "Flying cow" was free!! :P Here are some pics:

But I might return the fan mounts, since I've recently heard on another topic @ SPCR that the Nexus now includes these fan mounts in the 120MM packages.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:33 pm

The.Jackal wrote:* I've read about the "taping lower chamber" thing. But I still don't get what part or which holes? Could you perhaps be a bit more specific about this (with like a picture(s))
I have no camera but like around PSU in 1st post 3rd picture here.
viewtopic.php?t=41850
The.Jackal wrote:~ Well i think there is room for a fan @ [3]. Since I will be putting my HD in the 5.2" bay.
Oh yes, sorry. :wink:
The.Jackal wrote:~ About the Silicon Fan Mounts, Silicon Absorbers, they are pretty cheap.. When i was doing my whole order, I was like.... you know.. I might as well do some of these as well since they are pretty cheap. The only thing expensive was the Be Quiet Noise Absorber Kit (20.00 euro)
OK, good, I would order these things also if I could find them cheap but I can't. :cry:

Oh I almost forgot. Make sure your 8600 GT is HDCP compatible all 8500 GT and 8600 GT aren't. (Well you alreado got one) :?

See here
viewtopic.php?t=40272&highlight=hdcp&start=16

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:57 pm

Uh... HDCP... Right...

Mine says: "HDCP Compliant" aint this good enough?

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:07 pm

My hardware will be similar to yours. Here's my hardware:

- P182 case
- GA-P35-DS3R motherboard
- E6750 CPU with Ninja
- 2 x 1GB of G.Skill RAM (DDR2 800 - model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)
- Gigabyte fanless GeForce 7600GS video card
- Samsung SH-S203B SATA DVD Burner
- Mitsumi 3.5" floppy / USB 2.0 flash card reader
- Corsair HX520 power supply
- 3 hard drives in lower chamber
- Windows XP Pro SP2b

My planned fan setup is as follows:

- Replace rear Tri-Cool exhaust fan with Nexus 120mm fan
- Remove top Tri-Cool fan and cover up the fan opening
- Replace lower-chamber Tri-Cool fan with Nexus 120mm fan
- (if needed) Use Nexus 120mm fan on Ninja for extra CPU cooling
- (if needed) Use Nexus 120mm fan on back of upper HDD cage for extra video card cooling

I am hoping I can monitor all critical temps, and control fan speeds, with SpeedFan. I am also hoping that, at stock speeds (and maybe even undervolted), I can run the system with just the rear case fan and the lower chamber fan spinning slowly while keeping temps in check.

Maybe this is wishful thinking?