2x 120GXP in SilentDrive enclosures - still whining

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fruktsallad

2x 120GXP in SilentDrive enclosures - still whining

Post by Fruktsallad » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:47 pm

Since I installed my watercooling rig and mounted the ZM80-HP on my gfx board, my hard drives are once again the most audible source of noise in my system. Actually, the whining is really annoying IMHO.

To make it short, how do I shut them up? Is it at all possible? They are both in SilentDrives and placed in the 5.25 bays of a chieftec miditower case. I don't really want to insulate my case cause that raises the system temp too much (remember the passive gpu cooler) and does not, from what I've understood, reduce high pitch noises like whining very much at all...correct?

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:16 pm

In my experience, case insulation using acoustic foam reduces high pitched noises dramatically, and doesn't raise temp more than 1 - 2°c, if at all.

I have an IBM 75GXP that's in a "tunnel" of acoustic foam, with a Papst 8412NGL blowing on it at 7v, and which is inaudible. I lined a case with acoustic foam for a friend, and he can't hear his WD 80gb. But I remember that when I once had to RMA my cuda, I replaced it with a WD 40gb for a while and I could hear it through the acoustic foam, so it really depends on how loud the drive is. I suppose that a 180GXP in a silentdrive enclosure is not so loud, and acoustic foam could very well be a solution for you.

Did you try suspending the silentdrives ? Could help too.

Fruktsallad

Post by Fruktsallad » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:38 pm

Thanks for your reply, Kostik.

I haven't tried suspending the drives since I figure I don't have enough room in my case. The SilentDrives together with DVD & CD-burner fill up all my 5.25 bays. And the lower front part of the case is obstructed by the radiator. Is there anywhere else to place a suspension?

As for the foam, what kind did you use? Where and how much did you apply? I insulated my previous system, but I didn't find it made a huge difference. On the other hand, that system was WAY louder than my present one is. Did you put acoustic foam or any other insulating material under the mainboard as well? I have a roll of cork material that might be used there.

Also, when I insulated my last system, the process was kindof...irreverisble :wink: , since the foam i used had really, REALLY effective adhesive. Once it's placed, it's there forever. :roll:

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:48 pm

the type of sound proofing matters. i tried lots of stuff to kill the idle whine of my old maxtor, but i couldnt. basicaly buy a seagate/maxtor/samsung
try suspending, thats your best free bet. or having the silentdrives resting on foam

bluehat

Re: 2x 120GXP in SilentDrive enclosures - still whining

Post by bluehat » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:54 pm

Many people with water cooling are using hdd water blocks between the drives, and building very effective silencing closures.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:23 pm

yes. some hd watercooling blocks are 70quid in the uk
each :o

al bundy

Re: 2x 120GXP in SilentDrive enclosures - still whining

Post by al bundy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:25 pm

Fruktsallad wrote:...my hard drives are once again the most audible source of noise in my system. Actually, the whining is really annoying IMHO... They are both in SilentDrives...
I completely understand your aggravation at the whine of the harddrives, it drives me nuts too.

I notice you have the 120GXP in SilentDrive enclosures, and so I'm wondering if the drives might be getting too hot? The SilentDrive works very well with 5400rpm drives, but I'm pretty sure your GXP's are 7200rpm(?) Most 7200rpm drives can easily overheat in the SilentDrive. Drives getting extra hot can also cause them to whine even louder than usual. I've not put a GXP in a SilentDrive before - so if your drive temps look OK though, then you're fortunate to have one of the very few 7200rpm drives that are compatible with the SilentDrive enclosure.

Putting the enclosure on thick foam at the bottom of your case will work well, but if you can still hear the drives after that, then unfortunately only a slower quieter drive will solve the noise problem.

Please post back with the results of your efforts, as this would be helpful for us to read and learn from...

8)

Fruktsallad

Post by Fruktsallad » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:16 pm

Yup, I'll do that. I haven't had the chance to try anything simply cause I haven't been at home, but I'll get back to you with my results.

From what I've learned, the 120GXP's run at pretty low temperatures and are concidered to be fine in the SilentDrive. I haven't been able to measure the temperature from within windows because of my raid setup - (somehow makes smart readings inaccessible), but I've made stresstests with the ibm/hitachi feature tool and checked the temps. They were just fine, well below the critical 55 degrees...

Anyone know how to measure the temperatures of raided drives from within windows?

Fruktsallad

Post by Fruktsallad » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:36 am

Would replacing my SilentDrives with SmartDrives make any noticeable difference?

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:21 pm

Fruktsallad wrote:Would replacing my SilentDrives with SmartDrives make any noticeable difference?
Only to your wallet. The SilentDrive enclosures are better at blocking the high-frequency whine, but are only compatible with cooler-running drives (i.e. 5200rpm and a few 7200rpm drives).

8)