Help me: Which of these two very similar 120mm ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

v2rahn

Help me: Which of these two very similar 120mm ?

Post by v2rahn » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:36 am

Hello,

after a few days of research at local stores and on the internet, I have two options left. But: Which of them is better? Which is quieter?

The PSU with 120mm fan branded "HX" I refered to in a previous thread seems to have vanished from Ebay, but a very similar model branded "Power" is now offered. Its current ratings are much higher and now the fan is black instead of blue.

Here my candidates:

(1) "Fortron" FSP300-60PN(PF) for 39 Euro at a local retailer (a clear pro for me). He does not sell the 350W version (and I won't needs that extra juice anyhow I guess). The numbers: 3.3V:28A, 5V:30A, 12V:15A (combined 3.3+5: 200W) Link It's the PFC version.

(2) "Power" LC6350 for 36,50 Euro incl.S&H at Ebay -large picture- It calls itself 350W, but its current ratings look very similar to the Fortron 300W: 3.3V:26A, 5V:30A, 12V:15A (combined 3.3+5: 210W). The rear seems to have a much lower air flow resistance than the Fortron, which I like. Should that fact compensate the "noname" brand and the potential hassle of buying online?
How good/quiet is the fan?

Can anyone compare the two PSUs? Which should I take?

bluehat

Re: Help me: Which of these two very similar 120mm ?

Post by bluehat » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

I have a Fortron 300W (silenced/cooled with 2 alu profiles), since it was the cheapest PSU in the nearest store, and also I needed that 12 cm fan to cool some plantations in the next room.

It was a very bad purchase. Fortron300W reproduces all processor sounds via badly glued coils, and also that 12 cm fan is loud even at 5 volts, I can hear a low humming sound from another room.

Can anybody recommend a completely non-buzzy psu?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:36 am

L&C (that psu on Ebay) is Deer.

Most people wont touch Deer even if they were paid, personally I am still very happy with my (non-buzzy) Powerup (aka Deer) as per this thread.

ps - reputation wise I would expect to pay half (or less) the price of an FSP for a Deer, so on the prices you see the FSP is the better value (even in my opinion :D ). But be prepared for possible/probable PFC choke buzzing if it is passive PFC.

bluehat

Post by bluehat » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:16 am

It's quite difficult to find non-PFC PSUs any more.
I checked a few biggest local store www-catalogs, and found only active/passive pfc psu's. :cry:
Future looks very buzzy with only electric storm psu's available in stores.
----
EDIT: with little searching, found one 2-3 years old ENERMAX 300W non-pfc model. It is almost dead silent, not audible unless I put ear near the psu. Best psu's are free to have!

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:18 pm

I hate to add confusion to the PFC/noise matter since it's a bit controversial, but as I have understood it, the active PFC that has been implicated in buzzing, not the passive.

I purchased the FSP300-60PN and I am pleased with the results. It is a quiet power supply. I thought this was a passive pfc model, but maybe I'm wrong altogether. Maybe this model has no PFC at all?