Remote controlling a HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Locklear

Remote controlling a HTPC

Post by Locklear » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm currently in the process of buying parts for a HTPC project and it's flying along. Already gotten the Asus P5E-VM HDMI, 1,6GHz Pentium Dual-Core (placeholder for a low clocked Wolfdale), 2*1GB 1066MHz Corsair DDR2, Ninja Mini, 160GB 2,5" Samsung HM160HI (5400rpm, 1 platter) and 2*120mm 100rpm Noctua fans.

I'm also bending over backwards trying to get hold of a NSK2480B from Australia (i'm based in scandinavia), and I'll probably reuse the Phantom 500 i have in my fileserver and just replace that with something else.

There are a few things I realize I didn't quite think through before i went on a shopping spree.

Wireless keyboard for one, though there aren't that many candidates i figure Logitech diNovo Edge will do the job just nicely.

The second thing is a remote control, and here I was completely blank when I started. I really want a "integrated" ir-receiver, and preferably nothing with buttons or knobs sticking out (the reason i didn't go for a Fusion is that volume knob I never will use and is guaranteed annoy me).

The 3 candidates I have found which are complete packages are:
SoundGraph iMON Inside (3,5" receiver only, clean look but a bit simplistic)
SoundGraph iMON VFD (5,25" receiver, VFD display and that annoying volume knob)
Thermaltake Media LAB A2331 (5,25" receiver and VFD, but the oval frame didn't do it for me)

This is what I have managed to dig up on the sources available to me in while looking. The iMon Inside and A2331 are probably perfectly capable to serve my needs, but they didn't quite fit the visual image I have made in my mind of the end result.

First; Are there any other complete packages I have missed (there are many specialty firms out there that are next to impossible to find)?

Second; On the SoundGraph site they have listed an OEM section which contains the perfect iMON VFD without the knob (or even better LCD displays), but I have yet to find a retailer that sells them. Are they integrator only parts, or are there firms out there that sell them separately?

I'm not to optimistic about finding other alternatives, but I figured I'd toss the question out as this site is a goldmine for computer parts and hardware configurations.

Thanks in advance
Ken.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Have you considered Logitech MX Air Mouse as a remote control?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 3&cl=no,no

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:10 am

That is indeed a good suggestion and a useful little trinket!, but it doesn't fit entirely with my intended usage. The plan was to just slap an IR-receiver on the HTPC, toss the included remote and use a universal remote, ala. the Logitech Harmony 785, to control the HTPC along with the rest of the entertainment system.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:48 am

Hmm, wonder if something like ArigenAE VF210 can do the job. Seems to miss the standard 5,25" and 3,5" size, so would probably have to get some tinted glass to act as a bay cover in addition.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:03 am

Hi again!

Sorry I didn't get how you were thinking the first time...

I found this companys M-play products at Dustinhome.se in Sweden.
http://www.vlsys.co.kr/
Maybe one of them could work for you.

By the way I have a Dinovo Edge keyboard and I think it's great for a HTPC.
Now I just have to build my HTPC, I'm currently using my laptop as a HTPC. I'm going to use almost the same components as you are so I would really like to know how the P5E-VM HDMI is working?

You can have a look at what I am planning in this thread if you like.
viewtopic.php?t=44940

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:31 am

That one looks very nice indeed. While digging around for information on it on other webshops I also stumbled upon another candidate Silverstone MFP51 (which looks strikingly like an knob-less OEM product from SoundGraph as it uses the iXXX software they develop). Going from no real candidates to two different choices. This is indeed good news.

I see we are thinking very alike in our builds. I decided to wait to get the "real" CPU until the low-power/-clocked Penryn launches, and just bought a Pentium dual core placeholder until then. I'm also gonna try going without using a 92mm fan on the Mini-Ninja, hence I'm taking a few precautions on the power output from the CPU.

I'm afraid I can't give you an impression yet as I'm still waiting for the case. Like you I'm hoping for the NSK2480B, but it might take a while as I'm trying to get one sent from *cough*Australia*cough*... I'll give you an update on how that goes, as I should get some more information tomorrow :D

I'v also been sniffing a bit on a Sapphire HD3850 Fanless GPU, but decided to hold off until I at least have put the box together and seen it's thermal efficiency.

Edit:
The Silverstone MFP51 is indeed an OEM version of the SoundGraph LCD unit.
Last edited by Locklear on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:38 am

Regarding the fan on the ninja I'm thinking that it's better to have a slow fan pushing air through it and the 120mm sucking air on the other side. Since there is space why not use it and I don't think it will add much noice to the system, at least not so much that I will notice it from the sofa about 3m away.

I'm planning on letting the Q-Fan2 controll the fans so if you get your build finished before I do I would really like to know if it can controll all three fans although they aren't PWM fans.

Finally if the NSK2480B isn't released in Sweden when I build mine I'm planning on using a NSK2480 and when/if the NSK2480B is released I will contact Antec and buy a new black front for it.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:15 pm

I can attest to how well the OrigenAE cases do with IR in MCE. The IRTrans software, while not very intuitive, works well with WindowsMCE and can be setup to work with just about any other media center software out there (MediaPortal, Meedio/OS, GBPVR, TheaterTek, etc).

The Zalman HTPC cases are built by OrigenAE so they are essentially the same thing. The Silverstone cases all use IMON IR/Remote packages, which work well with the included remote, but won't work well with a Harmony (or any other remote for that matter) due to the high-speed signal used for the "mouse" feature on the remote.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:34 pm

jhhoffma wrote:The Silverstone cases all use IMON IR/Remote packages, which work well with the included remote, but won't work well with a Harmony (or any other remote for that matter) due to the high-speed signal used for the "mouse" feature on the remote.
Thanks for the answer. This is certainly useful and potentially critical information.

Just a little bit of additional information if you know jhhoffma.

This mouse-feature. If I remember correctly it's more of a novelty feature where you set the remote to so you can "precision" control the mouse. Does the other buttons on the iMon remote work normally and are thus mappable to an universal remote?

The reason i ask is that i've pictured two user modes. One pure htpc with mediacenter software running. In this mode it's mostly navigation along the vertical and horizontal axis, and no need for real mouse control.
The other mode is normal PC usage, and for that I'll probably invest in a Logitech diNovo Edge which will give me keyboard and mouse control in one package.

Moogles

Re: Remote controlling a HTPC

Post by Moogles » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:10 pm

Locklear wrote: Second; On the SoundGraph site they have listed an OEM section which contains the perfect iMON VFD without the knob (or even better LCD displays), but I have yet to find a retailer that sells them. Are they integrator only parts, or are there firms out there that sell them separately?
If you're referring to the iMON 2.4G DT, then yes that is almost impossible to find. I've seen it on quietpc.com and overclockers.co.uk, but neither seem to carry it anymore. Perhaps if you contact them they'll be able to help you. I thought it was an ideal solution as well, but when I went to place my order they weren't listed anymore. :(

Also, I'd be hesitant about importing something like the 2480B from Australia, since it might become available in Europe in the near future. The last time I couldn't wait for something to become available here, I ordered 2 $30 items from the US and ended up paying $130 for them. There were many delays with my order, and it still took nearly a month for the items to arrive. A week after their arrival the items were available here. :D

Anyway, good luck with your build. It looks good.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:08 am

Locklear wrote:This mouse-feature. If I remember correctly it's more of a novelty feature where you set the remote to so you can "precision" control the mouse. Does the other buttons on the iMon remote work normally and are thus mappable to an universal remote?
I really don't know the answer to that. I've never owned a Silverstone case, just what I've read on other forums. I suggest looking over at AVSForum and searching their HTPC forum for those answers. I know for sure the mouse feature won't work, but the other buttons should if the timing is slow enough. But don't go solely on my thoughts...

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 pm

I followed your suggestion and didn't find any indication that anything apart from the mouse features that wouldn't work 100%. On the contrary; i saw quite a few success stories with the imon and logitech universal remotes.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:53 am

Moogles wrote:Also, I'd be hesitant about importing something like the 2480B from Australia, since it might become available in Europe in the near future. The last time I couldn't wait for something to become available here, I ordered 2 $30 items from the US and ended up paying $130 for them. There were many delays with my order, and it still took nearly a month for the items to arrive. A week after their arrival the items were available here. :D
*ouch* TNT International Post - AIR: $236.27USD
Just for reference.. the case costs $102USD

Not exactly the route of least economic damage :shock:

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:14 pm

http://vexo.ruwido.com/press-images.php

Stumbled across this. Probably too expensive for me, but you might like it?

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:29 am

I use the Silverstone MFP51 and like it quite a bit. It can be setup to accept signals from the Microsoft MCE Remote, so I use that instead of the iMon remote. One nice feature with it is you can turn the PC on from a complete off with it.

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:13 pm

Locklear wrote:160GB 2,5" Samsung HM160HI (5400rpm, 1 platter)
How quiet is that Spinpoint M5S drive? I'm thinking about that exact same model # for a laptop, where will be very close to it, with little to block the noise.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:21 pm

michaelb wrote:How quiet is that Spinpoint M5S drive? I'm thinking about that exact same model # for a laptop, where will be very close to it, with little to block the noise.
so far, running suspended, it's dead quiet. Haven't started to tweak the fans and such on the HTPC yet though (finished assembling it only a few hours ago), so my opinion might change after that.

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Thanks. I've been a bit disappointed with supposedly quiet Fujitsu and Hitachi notebook drives, but will probably try this--unless go nuts ($$) and instead get a low capacity SSD. :)

derekva

Post by derekva » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:32 pm

What OS will you be running?

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:27 pm

derekva wrote:What OS will you be running?
It runs XP Media Center as we speak. It will be doubling as a light gaming system too, so *nix is out of the question at this time. Maybe Vista later on if SP1 delivers the goods.