Enermax Liberty Buzzing Noise

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

meansizzler

Enermax Liberty Buzzing Noise

Post by meansizzler » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Had an Enermax Liberty 500W for 4 months now, Swapped fan with 1200RPM Scythe when bought, but just started to notice buzzing noise from it, voltages are fine and with fan unplugged still get buzzing noise, so maybe one of the coils/capacitors?, is the PSU dying?, should I be worried?, is there an explanation?

Using in a P182 case, so the fan in PSU is pretty much used to cool it down and the warm air in the case is exhausted by other fans...

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Probably that old fan was so noisy that the coil buzz was overwhelmed by fan noise. Now that you have inaudiable PSU fan, the coil buzz comes audiable.

meansizzler

Post by meansizzler » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:31 pm

thejamppa wrote:Probably that old fan was so noisy that the coil buzz was overwhelmed by fan noise. Now that you have inaudiable PSU fan, the coil buzz comes audiable.
NO just started after 3 months, it comes and goes now, can't here it at the moment, any idea what it is?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 am

is the PSU dying?, should I be worried?, is there an explanation?
no, no, yes. search these forums for "coil buzz" and "coil whine". psus (and other electrical components) have various energised coils which can vibrate at the frequency of the current going through them.

deprenyl

Post by deprenyl » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:09 am

not sure if this helps or not but when i first got a 500w enermax liberty, it had a high pitched whine straight from the get go. just went back to the store and got a refund.