Biostar TF7050-M2: Fan control demystified

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Burette

Biostar TF7050-M2: Fan control demystified

Post by Burette » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:18 am

After trying to find an answer on the internet, I did the smartest thing possible. I wrote at Biostar.

I told them that:

1) I had no control over the fans in Windows whatever software I used (Biostar T-Utility or SpeedFan)

2) The submenu in Bios did not show the fan control option like it was suppose to do so.

Although I got a reply in an approximate english (worst than mine), they told me that they verified the Bios with several AMD approved fans and this was supposed to work and that my fan was probably not "approved". Damn... what if this thing only supports 4 pin PWM fans?

I unplugged my Scythe 3 pin fan and plugged the AMD 4 pin fan. Guess what... That damn menu reappeared in the Bios and I was able to reduce the fan to 900 rpm. But no control on the other 3 pin fans.

This is it. If you want control over the CPU fan, use a 4 pin PWM fan.

I prefer my Scythe fan with Fanmate 2 set at 800 rpm.

=============

Besides, I replyed to Biostar and asked if their would be a way in a future BIOS update to solve that and allow 3 pin fan control.

Burette

PS: That's funny because what this tells us is that no one on SPCR or other newsgroup ever tried the Biostar TF7050-M2 with the AMD's heatsink and fan. Everyone who got this MoBo installed a third party fan and heatsink right away at first buildup.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Re: Biostar TF7050-M2: Fan control demystified

Post by RedAE102 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Burette wrote:PS: That's funny because what this tells us is that no one on SPCR or other newsgroup ever tried the Biostar TF7050-M2 with the AMD's heatsink and fan. Everyone who got this MoBo installed a third party fan and heatsink right away at first buildup.
I said in your original post that the TF7050-M2 only had digital PWM (4-pin) fan control. While my TF7025-M2 did have analog (3-pin) fan control on the CPU fan with the original BIOS that it shipped with, it disappeared with all BIOS updates since then, including the one that fixed the Brisbane's DTS temperature readings. The system I put together for my friend that included a retail Brisbane 4000+ and a TF7050-M2 recognised and controlled the 4-pin PWM stock fan from the first boot. My 3600+ was an OEM processor, so it didn't come with the retail HSF, so I had no choice but to install my Ninja from the beginning.

Burette

Re: Biostar TF7050-M2: Fan control demystified

Post by Burette » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:12 pm

RedAE102 wrote:
I said in your original post that the TF7050-M2 only had digital PWM (4-pin) fan control. While my TF7025-M2 did have analog (3-pin) fan control on the CPU fan with the original BIOS that it shipped with, it disappeared with all BIOS updates since then, including the one that fixed the Brisbane's DTS temperature readings. The system I put together for my friend that included a retail Brisbane 4000+ and a TF7050-M2 recognised and controlled the 4-pin PWM stock fan from the first boot. My 3600+ was an OEM processor, so it didn't come with the retail HSF, so I had no choice but to install my Ninja from the beginning.
That's true. Sorry about that. I did not notice that you were refering to TF7025 and not TF7050. My mistake.

Burette

Post by Burette » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Good news (not for me though)

Biostar just sent me this reply:

Dear Customer,

We are so sorry that TF7050-M2 PCB v5.0 which only support 4PIN FAN control. You need to take PCB v5.1 if you want to control 3PIN FAN. This is hardware modify change. No only change BIOS to support it.

<< Note >>
General speaking, we are follow AMD suggest design. Their BOX CPU has to include 4PIN FAN. For your information.

Thank you very much.
=======================================================
With Best Regards
Paul Lee
Biostar FAE
Phone:886-2-22180150 ext290
E-Mail: [email protected]
=======================================================

This means that those who will buy the PCB 5.1 will have 3 pin fan control.

This would make this board totally recommandable as a silent PC

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:26 am

Since you got a Biostar, enjoy it. You might consider getting a Arctic Cooling PWM 4pin fan, I've got one for my Abit KN9 AM2 board. By the way, they rotates at 697RPM now. You could try to undervolt CPU by software such as Crystal CPUID. :wink: Thanks for SPCR forum suggesting this fan!

Xvys

Post by Xvys » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:56 am

I recently built a Biostar TF7050 system, but the cpu fan noise makes the system unusable. I have the stock fan which is 4-pin.

The bios settings to not correlate with the printed manual, there are no "cpu fan speed" settings. I have PWM start, PWM slope, but they makes no sense to me whatsoever. The cpu fan runs at full blast no matter what I seem to set in the "smart fan" bios .

The TF hardware control Windows software I d/l from the Biostar site does not seem to work.

I guess my problem is I do not understand the terminology used in the bios Smart fan settings. The cpu shows only 25C, so I want to turn the fan speed way down.

Does anybody knows what settings I should use in Smart Fan to lower the fan speed in my non-overclocked system?

clamrade

Post by clamrade » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:18 pm

If anyone purchases a v5.1, please reply where it was bought. Thank you.

trx

Post by trx » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:27 am

PWM control only on 5.0, that sucks. I guess I'll just undervolt my fan to a constant speed as that should still keep it cool and silent.

clamrade

Post by clamrade » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:22 am

I'd appreciate a little more info on this if anyone knows.

Does this mean rev 5.1 can control 3-pin fans on all four headers, or just the CPU header?

clamrade

Post by clamrade » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm

I just received my second TM7050-M2 from Newegg today, and it was rev 5.0.

Has anyone bought a rev 5.1 from anywhere yet?