P182, a step further *updated :O*

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

P182, a step further *updated :O*

Post by pingu666 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:18 pm

This will be like a diary of my mods etc on my attempt to make a p182 special edition, abit more special :shock: . this may end up shortbus special :lol:

Im aiming to make a quantum leap of my current 802 globel win case, that ive hacked about alot :lol: , and also as a showcase, as im considering making quiet pcs as a small business :o

new p182 special edition, partly stripped down :), alot of nice touches on this case for the quiet pc builds. Little silicone strips on the PSU mount area for vibration absorbtion, curiously missing from the

backplate area where you screw the psu in :(. i will add my own there :)

Grommets for the HD's :), very soft, similer softness to the gel glue they use to stick CD/DVD's to magasines.

Nice soft silicon feet, fluff sticks to them very well :p

Restrictive intake vent, more on that later...

Nice slats in the casings front for ventilation :)

Case side panel, these are heavy and thick, a laminate of steel and plastic, feels very solid, very quality. plastic feels slightly soft, good for vibration absorbtion?

2x Noctua 120mm fans, very quiet, nice retail pack, there fan mounts are rather rigid, unlike the nexus ones which are rather soft.

Box of bits, these smelt strongly of tar, from the case feet and fan mounts i think. case feet will end up on my mums pc :o

The soundproofing airing in teh conservatory, yes its a mess :lol: . accousti deluxe smells abit fishy, this later devloped into a little chef/roadside cafe/maccy D's smell with a hint of fishyness, the

akasa stuff stinks with a strong chemicaly smell. think you need 5-7 days airing for it to not smell so much :o

Shot of the thicknesses of the foams, accousti deluxe piece, akasa in the middle, accousti normal right side :)

better comparison shot

nifty box to hold your screws etc :D

box of bits and pieces :)

I need some endplates for the rear wing :D

Ill carry on in a couple of hours, off to work on the case :)

*update*
high quality ESATA to SATA cables, bought off ebay :o, found a very friendly seller, and was cheap :] http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fullspeed-IT
linking him cos hes that damn good 8)

tin snipped out the rear fangrill then filled it to reasonable tidyness, and added blowhole trim. later removed because it got in the way of the side panel :(

nexus fans :), got them cheap, and i wanted to hedge my bets on the fans. very brief first impression, noctua are quieter, but much much more expensive.

noticed a slight bluge on the 80mm's blades :o

i found out that the fan mounting brackets are really thick, much too thick for anti vibration fan mounts :(. got a solution tho :D

in the shed of wonder, the bridgeport of pwn :o

milled the plastic down so the nactua ones fit nicely :), a pain to get them out tho :p

finished :D

removed the front panel (one damn stiff tab) to get at the front of the chassis, ive seen several ppl trim there, but i think mine has the most nibbled away :)

a shot from the inside, you can see how you just need the bottom for the hooks to perch on, tried to have asmuch open as possible to reduce turbulance noise and increase cfm :)

i dont have any before or after shots im afraid, my dad decided todo it before i got up :oops: , the fan mounts wherent as wide as they should be, imho, so there insides got eaten ;). they are surprisinglly

more flimsy now, but provide good clean airflow :). plus i get to say ive added gape :D

heard of someone blanking out the side of there lights/buttons/connectors bit on the front panel with card, my dad pretty much jumped on that when i told him, guess he likes cutting plasticard :o, this

should stop the leds bleeding light out the side.

spray painted dvd writer :), its a old pioneer one, my noisey LG has drivebay covers you can swap :)

old digidoc 5 im gonna use just for temp monitering, sprayed silver, the paint curled around and landed on the inside of the screen :o, halfway through cleaning it up, hence the swirlyness on the screen.

getting a tad anal here, i noticed the plastic rails where held on my screws, so i undid them and hey, a hollow.... gotta fill that with foam :p, i used a mixture of offcuts and quickly cut pieces to fill it

up :), the other rail was done in a similer fasion :)

ive done abit more, but not taken pics yet :o

*update 2ish*
got some foam in the fake fanhousing in the lower part of the case, i should add some more, and/or swap it for the thicker stuff really.

added some blowhole trim to where the antec fanswitchery stuff used tobe mounted, going to run esata-sata cables out through there and loop back to the mobo's backplate :)

fully covered the removeable drive cage as much as i could, kinda squeaks on the way in :D, going to stick soundproofing on what the cage mounts onto, aswell. i just want asmuch soundproofing around the hd cages as i can, also kept the grill in there to have abit extra there aswell. i used akasa stuff on the inside as its thinner than the other stuff. doesnt cut well with a knife :\. too elasticy.

3/4ths of the way (hopefully) with the front panel, i work slow :$. was watching tv aswell :). accousti as the base (mostly) with akasa stuff on top :).

*update 3*
Door is pretty much finished,
double stacked the foam before putting it in the hole :)

even put abit in the mounting hole :)

doing the inside of the door, wanted a really good finish, as its part i will see every day, so me and dad made paper templates, accousti seems to always end up bigger than you measure :o

bottom piece in place :)

door wouldnt close... then we noticed we hadnt trimmed around the buttons and that blank bit at the bottom :)

i didnt do a piccy of the finished door, oops :S will do that later :)

sprayed digi doc 5 reassembled

thermal probes spiral wrapped, with a bare one there for comparison, theres another 4 todo if i choose...

i left the last bit unwrapped, to reduce the cable cramming on the back... did them while watching lous therthro? :D. still got a sore thumb :(

lots of little pieces

more little pieces ingenously placed :). i sit on the right of my pc, hence my cramming of asmuch as i can in that side :D

you can see the small pieces, and the layer to go on top. the lock should still work, tho i doubt it will ever get used.

pretty much finished door. ive actully got to remount the front connectors, the mic one didnt go in straight :(

couple of detail shots :)
might try and get another layer there...

mess :D

akasa soundproofed screwbox (akasa is the thinest, and more robust than the accousti) and the drive rail mounting thingy for the upper 3.5mm cage

pondering putting accousti in the gaps between the drive rails and the ciruclar punchouts... there would be a tiny gap between the drives and cage with the akasa stuff...

*update 4?*
Sorry its been awhile, mostly due to my lack of motivation :p

decided tobe sneaky and add some akasa paxmate to the inside of the cd drive cage :o
i used a pencil and the drive rails as a ruler/guide to mark where to put the stuff :)

starting laying out foam for the side panels..

shoehorned abit into the middle front :), that doesnt interfer with fan placement/removal

the mighty hole punch, i used it to cutout where the rivits are quite high :), test fit piece and press hard
should leave a mark to puncture through :)

jumping around abit, heres the piece to go under the hdd mount under construction
its a piece of brown bread soundproofing i got *years* ago, and some soft foam used in motherboard boxes

back to the completedish soundproofed cd cage, it works very well, a couple of rails do stick/rub very slightly though

kinda like a spread shot from a adult site :s, 2 soft foams, a bit of brown bread, strip of akasa and alot of double sided tape :D

pack in its new home :), fed in through the fanhole and guided in, friction holds it in well ;)

2 extra strips of accousti go down, *just* clear the screws etc when cage goes in :)

cage filled up and ready to go in (its damn heavy too!)

test fitting drives

no escape for the psu :o

nexus fan half proccessed, and yes that carpet is horrid :P

selection of tubes :o?

slip over the pin, wiggle it around the bend the retainers?/clips indwards abit..

decapitation :o after some yankage :p

loop connectors back to each other...

2 goth mummy's ;)

mummy ate all the pies ;)... well i taped them up together :p

sata/molex connector spiraled up :)

progress :O:O:O:O

esata to sata cables routed, the hilarious old pioneer drive, ide, to abit ide/sata adapter, to esata:D
sata cables tucked out of the way at the bottom...

bits :o

nibbling the backside making it bigger so my phat powersupply can fit better.
did consider having the psu hanging out alot, and call it the j lo psu mod :p

ghetto. double sided tape, and odd silicon bobble things intended for fans, there crap btw ;)

that tar smelling accessory kit, used the screws with rubber washers for the drives :D

top bottom with a layer of akasa (makes it tight in some areas...) akasa doesnt want to unstick btw :\

8pin extender cable wrapped, and the back inside with a mix of foams. left the area for expansion cards free, so i didnt foul the screws

more on the top..., kept finding places to put it ;)

some more :)

the led light area, with gaps so itll fit into its hook, and so the wing can mount too
missed abit, could put it behind the fan motor, oh well...

happy chance, the akasa stuff was at a fold, so i get a nice curved front for under the psu, handy for cable tucking :)

a glorious mess :D

odd shot showing how ive tried to cram as much soundproofing around the cd cage as possible

top bottom, lil pieces put in on the center piece, and the roof (careful not to foul the slidy thing)

test fitting...

extra piece i sneaked on :)

nakid 3870 :o

soundproofing above the psu :)

shot right up the tailpipe :),

inside :o

redone psu, removed the old spacer 80mm frame that used to live inside, cables done like 120mms
cable tide into place, its awkward in there, externatly added a thick cable tie at the base, and removed a thiner one that was higher...

sneaky view of the 3pin plug, fan is actully powered from psu circuit board....

high powered snake ;)

psu mounted, think id forgotten the cage, so hadto redo it :\. silcon washers on the screws :)

a tree of cables :o, can *just* about bend them round enough at the base

crammed.

rammed

more rammed (i later changed this..)

the lucky end for the sata cables, i just tucked them into the hole/tunnel by the floppy drive

crikey:o

cable routing

coming together..

tight by the usb connectors, and the x fi has a capasitor that sits on the floppy cable.. :o

test fitting gpu temp probe

unused cables get curled up and tiewrapped

bathshot :o, testing for leaks

pretty ;D

the dye :) god knows what brand, got it second hand years ago :)

oooh shiny cpu block :D. i dont know the make :p 2nd hand again :D

fitting...

fitting :)

its half inch intake to gpu, then 3/8th or metric equivilent to cpu then back out

coming together...

partway... this side faces me, so gets the best of the soundproofing...

wing is soundproofed :o

esata cable solution :)

gettho drivebay soundproofing mod :)

digidoc, decrepid pioneer, noisey lite on, spare bay

extra layer of akasa soundproofing for the hd cage, screw also has a rubber washer

messy cables :(, floppy lead taped down...

added some iccle ramsinks to the square power blocky things on the 3870, and yeah they do get hot...

gpu temp probe held down with ramsink :D and gpu temp probe

guess i lost the pics of the pirate usb thing, just blanked off a usb thing with abit of plastic, shares its header with floppy drive

whats left over to go in mums pc *mutter*

one completed side panel :), for the left (more open) side

righthand side (mobo tray). doublelayer of accousti by the hard drives

mood shot :)

crazy cables :O

soundproofed wing :)

soundproofed mobotray backside :p

more level shot.

will haveto take some more shots soon, as its changed in areas...
i now have 2 500gig samsungs (considering 2 more aswell :o) and new sata cables, and messier wiring, ubuntu really didnt like my cd solution...

system now running vistarse ulitmate 64/xp pro/ubuntu

the gfx card block i orignaly intended to use decided to fracture :\, 3-4th one too, dont buy alphacool :(

the way i routed the hd cables passed vibrations onto the case, so dont do that

the noisey 36gig raptor mounted in the digidoc is surprisingly quiet.

moving forward, my plans are to possibly get 2 more samsung drives as they are much quieter than my old maxtors
get a bigger moniter (24" HD+) :)
another 4gig of ram
another 3870 or 3850/3870x2 for some crossfireness
build some external ducts/housing for the rear fans
various wiring things

sortout behind my desk where the rads, tank and pumps live
sortout my room :o
take more pics :)

spec as of now
q6600 at 3ghz (not got round to pushing it)
3870 that can do 900ish and i cant remmber what on the ram, bios flashed :)
4gig of ddr 6400 geil, i think
msi p35 neo mobo (2 i think)
xfi from creative. creative suck btw.
combo floppy/flashcard reader
pioneer dvd 107d, lite on noisey retail thing
digidoc 5
raptor 36gig (for testing overclocks :) )
samsung 500gig system drive, with vistarse 64 ultimate, xp pro, ubuntu tripple boot
2x 300gig maxtors with various bits of mess on them
1x 120gig maxtor, turned out this was noisey bugger :o, old system drive before a hd clone too decided to alter it when i aborted a clone. iwasnotahappychappy
1x samsung 500gig intended for my music collection, now has mess on it too :\.
akasa 650watt psu
2x natuca 120mm 800rpm fans
2x nexus 120mm ful on g0ng0r fans.
1x 80mm nexus 80mm
1x accousti deluxe (with a few leftovers)
1x akasa paxmate (few bits remaining)
1x soundproofing kit, half left over for parents pcs
lots of cables
unknow cpu block
alphacool gpu block
some spiraly blue stuff from somewhere
dell 2005something 1680x1050 moniter
ms natural keyboard
razer diamondback
speedlink 5.1 headphones (mic just went silent on my pair, yoinked my dads :\ )
vidoelogic 5.1 speakers from back in the day
2x 1250 ehuim pumps
various random radiators and piping
g25 wheel
saitek joystick cyborg something or other
creative instant webcam (is crap) xp64 drivers work in vistarse 64 tho :)

liteon dvd drive is powerful enough to open the door with its tray (probably isnt that happy about it tho :D)
pc weights 25kilos (4 stone in imperial) dry. i weigh a tough over 10 and half. its sodding heavy.
the front panel deffinately is mirror finish :)

hope u enjoyed scrolling ;)
Last edited by pingu666 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Ygglur

Post by Ygglur » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Nice build. Looking forward for more pictures.

mnekic

Post by mnekic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:28 pm

what exactly is that trim called? when i go to home depot, what should i be asking for?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 pm

Greetings,

I dunno, but maybe "rubber edge trim" or " 'C' edge trim" would be close enough?

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:03 pm

its called blowhole trim from online pc shops in the uk

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kus ... gs_64.html

i ordered some from another shop and it was roughly twice as big, and felt neopreney rather than hardish rubber, its kinda pot luck. i think that stuff in the piccy is 6mm probably from kustompcs bought along time ago :)

deio

Post by deio » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:47 am

Very nice pictures so far and i am looking forward for the next ones. Nice build and that's interesting, modding the Antec P182 like that. I am wondering though, why need to cut the exaust metal grid, does this improve the airflow and cooling? If that's true, why there aren't cases with a big 120mm hole, instead of the grids? Why need for custom cut and not made by factory? :? I know that by sealing some vents you can improve the flow in some parts, but factories test with infrared scan for seeing cooling the WHOLE case, not only some parts like CPU, GPU, HDD.
The rest of the components may become hotter...

I think that if this would really bring some improvments, many PC boutiques (Dell/Alienware, VoodooPC (they are the best by the way), VadimPc, Overdrive, etc) would do such custom jobs on their cases.
And while some may say that this custom job may take a lot of time and patience, remember that a good PC wasn't build in a day! :lol: :lol: and they could spend extra time just for improving quietness and cooling.

I think that a cool and quiet PC, (based on air cooling) begins with a motherboard that controls at least 4 fans besides the CPU one, even if you will use ony two :) (You can choose any manufacturer). Then the PSU comes in the place, a 120mm quiet fan and 600-700W for a simple CPU/GPU (not SLI, dual CPU) should be enough, because even if you load the PSU on half the power (300-350W) the fan will be quiet because on modern PSU's the fan usually starts to spin when the load exeeds half of the total power.
And of course the chassis and fans. Choose them to have maximum 1200RPM, because the MB will control them anyway so they won't reach maximum RPM, if set in BIOS. And they MUST have a spin-up if the temperature rises, it is better to ramp the fans on high load, than to make a compromise between quietness and cooling. When you are gaming and the sound is loud (shooting, flying, etc) the fans are inaudible, maybe when you are enconding DIVX or folding, etc, they may be heard a bit, but you can set the limits, right?
The rest: Heatsinks, RAM, HDD and others can be any type you wish, the IMPORTANT parts are the capability of the MB and good PSU with quiet fan and quiet cooling fans. And the last but not least, the chassis, of course: I have seen that Antec PXX is the favoured here, and I also have my PC build with it, the gallery is here on SPCR, search for it, so the PXX is well known for the great cooling and airflow it has, and of course one of the quietest case (if you tweak it a bit).

I may have talked crap here, but think before reply. I have more than ten thousend pictures as my collection of PC's and lots of reviews about quiet systems and attended to many shows (CEBIT etc) and seen many mods, and many so called "quiet" PC's.

P.S. Oh and do not forget about cable management, this makes the difference: a good cabling begins with using as less cables as possible, with the help of cable sleeve ties and zip ties, they are easy to hide.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:54 am

The only reason the grids are there is because else they get sued because someone will (intentionally) get hurt sticking a finger in there. They are rather restrictive and it does help the airflow if you cut them out. It also brings down turbulence noise, especially on the intake fans and especially when you have the fan running a bit faster.

Not all grids are 'bad' though but the ones on the P180/82 aren't the good kind.

As for the topic, i love heavy picture worklogs. Keep it up :)

walle

Post by walle » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:46 am

Looking forward to see how your project (p182 a step further) progresses, it looks good :)

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Re: P182, a step further

Post by Shaman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:30 am

pingu666 wrote:Little silicone strips on the PSU mount area for vibration absorbtion, curiously missing from the backplate area where you screw the psu in . i will add my own there
You don't need to screw the PSU to the back of the case. The PSU stays well secured just using the cage, the silicone strips make it impossible to move.

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 am

deio wrote:I think that a cool and quiet PC, (based on air cooling) begins with a motherboard that controls at least 4 fans besides the CPU one, even if you will use ony two.
I disagree. Fans can be excellently undervolted with molex connectors or various other techniques. You don't need the motherboard headers. You're just paying (probably a lot) extra, because most motherboard don't have 4 and only gaming-ones do. And by the way, why do you want so many fans?
Then the PSU comes in the place, a 120mm quiet fan and 600-700W for a simple CPU/GPU (not SLI, dual CPU) should be enough, because even if you load the PSU on half the power (300-350W) the fan will be quiet because on modern PSU's the fan usually starts to spin when the load exeeds half of the total power.
Nonsense. 600-700 W is way overkill. You're spending a ton on a 600W PSU you're never going to use. If you have a simple CPU/GPU you're never going to get to 300W (depends mostly on the GPU). Buy a decent PSU, a little headroom doesn't hurt, but 600W is overkill.
And of course the chassis and fans. Choose them to have maximum 1200RPM, because the MB will control them anyway so they won't reach maximum RPM, if set in BIOS. And they MUST have a spin-up if the temperature rises, it is better to ramp the fans on high load, than to make a compromise between quietness and cooling. When you are gaming and the sound is loud the fans are inaudible, maybe when you are encoding DIVX or folding, etc, they may be heard a bit, but you can set the limits, right?
You contradict yourself. First you say it's better to let the fans ramp up on high load, then you say you can set the limits (with encoding/folding). Personally, I'd rather have a pc that's always quiet, not only when I'm doing nothing with it, but also if I'm encoding. And the compromise? As long as my CPU doesn't get too hot (>60-65 degrees centigrade) I don't want my fans to ramp up. Maybe it's too high for you (you don't mention numbers), but that's for me very acceptable. I've thoroughly tested my system with load, the fans don't ramp up. Perfect.
The rest: Heatsinks, RAM, HDD and others can be any type you wish, the IMPORTANT parts are the capability of the MB and good PSU with quiet fan and quiet cooling fans.
Of course not. There's a lot of difference between different HDD's and heatsinks. Some HDD's cause more noise (and vibration) than others, so choose those with less noise/vibration. Important mostly for very quiet PC's, where HDD-noise becomes audible.
Heatsinks: choose an effective one, like a Ninja, which can be run fanless if done right. Don't choose an ineffective one. Or one with a loud fan. (Or at least replace the fan.)
I may have talked crap here, but think before reply. I have more than ten thousend pictures as my collection of PC's and lots of reviews about quiet systems and attended to many shows (CEBIT etc) and seen many mods, and many so called "quiet" PC's.
I'm sure you do, but still I disagree with many things you say. Maybe it's me, maybe it's you, but somebody is talking rubbish.
P.S. Oh and do not forget about cable management, this makes the difference: a good cabling begins with using as less cables as possible, with the help of cable sleeve ties and zip ties, they are easy to hide.
Finally, I agree.

I know, it was off topic. I'm sorry. But I felt there was too much I was disagreeing with for me to ignore it.

Suds

Post by Suds » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 pm

The bottom half of your pictures aren't working and I'm interested to see what you've done with the case.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:23 pm

hmm they load for me, maybe its your browser being funny, mozilla did it to me first time :x

http://www.rapingu.co.uk/newbits/
u can see all the pics (and more) there :)

zorrt

Post by zorrt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:45 pm

You can still use silicon fan mounts on the front fan mounts without drilling it it. I use it on mine and it works fine.

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:49 pm

Wow that's just great!

A very nice job!

And yes the last pics are not showing in the topic..

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:10 pm

sorry i havent updated in awhile, but ive carried on taking pics :), will do a big update soon, rig is pretty much uptogether,

plan is to
rout the digidoc wires (ack)
attack stuff with zipties
finish the soundproofing for the side panels
get sidepanels to fit :D
clear a path in my room
tidy up desk
take some nice shots :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 am

Nice work. 8)

One counterpoint, regarding the metal grills at the fan vents --

There are 2 reasons for them: Physical safety (fingers, etc) and reduction of EMI -- electromagnetic interference -- from the PC to other electronics, most relevant for wireless devices. The effectiveness for EMI protection of such open grills like the one for the fan exhausts on the P182 is somewhat questionable, but there they are.

As to whether cutting the grills out helps with airflow and/or noise, it depends.

For most SPCR users, the metal grills themselves are not problematic, especially on the exhaust side. It's only if you're running the fans fairly fast -- say well over 1000 rpm -- that the turbulence noise would become significant for 99% of users. Other things will probably make more noise.

On the intake side, although these grills are a bit more restrictive than the exhaust vents, I really don't see them being significant. It's the combined effect of the closed outer door, the swinging plastic grill door, the filter and the metal grill that ends up being restrictive -- not the metal grill by itself. Removing or modding the swinging plastic grill door is really all you need to do to eliminate the front intake are as a source of turbulence noise or airflow unless your overall airflow is high -- like running multiple fans at >1000rpm.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 pm

thanks mike :), from my perspective on the grill issue, they dont need tobe there for me personaly, and there was a gain, notsure howmuch, in removing them, i did keep the front bottom, and top grill, bottom front for a extra barrier between me and the hds (yeah a crap one :D) and the hds throttle the airflow pretty good too, so i wouldnt gain much. the top one stayed as i plan to hopefully have the top fan and the front upper fan turned off for general useage and to come on when the temps rise, plus i mightnot use the boy racer wing :o.

zorrt, on mine i think id haveto jam it in pretty good to use the mounts i have, maybe theres some detail changes between our cases/mounts etc... on the plus side, doing the second mount was much quicker, as it was all setup and we knew what we was doing :)

Lou_H

Post by Lou_H » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Nice job, but I can't see the last half of the pictures either. I see everything above the "doing the inside of the door" part.

Instead of adding foam under the HDD cage plastic rails, I made my own plastic rails out of some flat plastic and then stuck them to the cage with smal 1/2" square pads of sorbathane rubber. The cage is now insulated from the case with sorbathane rubber. Ialso found that if the screws in the stoch silicone grommets are just finger tight, then there is less vibratin transfered.\

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:05 pm

updated, now give your scroll finger a rest ;)

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 pm

Wow... crazy. I think you may have gone toooo far on the side of silence than I would have gone. ;)

(clearly if you're going to sell these, you had either better be less crazy through in your efforts, or else you had better sell them for $1,000 each just to make up for your time!!)

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:30 pm

just a small update without pics :o

noisest fan in the system is the 80mm outside the psu, so im gonna build a little duct/house thing to quiten it down soon :)

installed xpeee on the raptor and had abit of a play with overclocking, which doesnt really effect noise for me :D. so far it seems ok with..

q6600 at 3.7ghz :) (over 50% oc and 600mhz? faster than c2d that u can buy new?) using 1.37-8 or so volts (think the board undervolts abit)

411 fsb
quiet high voltage on nb/sb etc

2.10 volts for the ram @ 5-5-5-15 824mhz i think

110mhz pci-e (crashed at 120, might try 112)

3870 900~core, 1300ram :)

i was feeling depressed earlier thinking it was no good :\

14008 3dmark06's if anyone cares ;)