Apple Time Capsule loud noise (any idea to make it quiet ?)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pyrrhon

Apple Time Capsule loud noise (any idea to make it quiet ?)

Post by pyrrhon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:54 am

I have a apple time capsule and want to know how to make it quiet. (Im not returning it so dont waist our time)

I know that its not noisy all the time, its either very quiet or very noisy without in betweens. Its not related to seek noise because its been noisy without any user activity or computer connected. Looks like heat related! To my very surprise It went silent when I put it vertically and went noisy again in normal position. Is it because the hard drive stops if its not horizontal and the fan stops too when hard drive stops?

For the moment I'm only thinking about solutions:

1-reducing volts on the fan.

2-Putting it vertically: I dont know if it will run vertically but I tried this morning and the noise stopped. That was weird and I'll try again when I'm back home.

3-putting coins under each corner to raise it and allow airflow under it.

Any idea would be appreciated. I would really like a spcr complete review about Time Capsule and how to silence it.

pyrrhon

Post by pyrrhon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:08 am

I just found something about replacing the HDD with a wd greenpower. But Im still not convinced the hard drive makes that much noise at iddle, could be the fan but I will put the link for you:

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/79/

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:13 am

sound like it could be as simple as a bad fan bearing.with bottom off and with the fan on and turn the base to see if that effects the noise.

fyi the harddrive will run fine on edge.

pyrrhon

Post by pyrrhon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:25 am

xan_user wrote:sound like it could be as simple as a bad fan bearing.with bottom off and with the fan on and turn the base to see if that effects the noise.

fyi the harddrive will run fine on edge.

Hey, thanks... It makes so much sense :idea: but I could not think of it myself! :oops: I'll check this evening and post back observations, could be fan bearings!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:32 am

I thought the advantage of the time capsule was that it could be squired away in a closet so you couldn't hear it? :)

pyrrhon

Post by pyrrhon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:44 am

xan_user wrote:I thought the advantage of the time capsule was that it could be squired away in a closet so you couldn't hear it? :)
lol, you beat me again :D Well not exactly, this one I could think of and did before going to bed.

Apple products arent suposed to be trouble free anyway?

Its in a wooden closet right now but it gets HOT in there and I lost 20 percent signal strenght. The main concern is heat, I just rather have the noise problem solved and put it out the closet. I might check the silent closet review site when its up :wink: ... or put another ceiling fan to cool it down.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:39 am

you can get soft rubbery feet (often made of deflex) for audio equipment, could get some of them for it to sit on, and depending on clearence, maybe get some soundproofing inside..

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:08 pm

pingu666 wrote:you can get soft rubbery feet (often made of deflex) for audio equipment, could get some of them for it to sit on, and depending on clearence, maybe get some soundproofing inside..
I agree with this idea - allows the airflow under the unit while simultaneously reducing vibration. I also agree with replacing the drive with a WD Green Power.

Not sure about the fan as I've not heard it or know how it works. Really hope effective silencing is not too hard, as I'm pretty interested in the product otherwise.

-Ken

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:39 pm

pyrrhon wrote:Its in a wooden closet right now but it gets HOT in there and I lost 20 percent signal strenght. The main concern is heat, I just rather have the noise problem solved and put it out the closet.
Come out of the closet Steve Jobs, we know you’re in there. Come out of the closet Steve and put those slacks down. etc