Do your friends think you are crazy?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

beli ninja

Do your friends think you are crazy?

Post by beli ninja » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:23 am

I did a little search and didn't find anything so...

I had a couple of friends at home yesterday so I asked them to come to my room and hear the noise of my PC. After they heard it they all looked at me like I was some kind of a freak and sad that I had a problem. This is not the first time that someone reacted this way after I demonstrated my PC acoustics, but last evening was the final drop so I had to share my pain with fellow "freaks". Ok, my previous PC was really loud and this one is much better but there is much room for improvement.

Do you have similar experiences?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:48 am

I don't have any friends, so I don't have to worry about that issue.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:31 am

Shortly after I bought my home (err taken the huge loan) some friends came over and I showed them the new heating system. I was giddy, and they thought I was over the edge.

Some years later they bought a home, and eventually replaced their very thirsty old furnace with a new one. They called me and said "Now we understand why you felt that way, we feel that way now too."

As so what seems strange can eventually seem quite normal.

mexell

Post by mexell » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:40 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I don't have any friends, so I don't have to worry about that issue.
:D :D :D

Yesterday my wife replaced the old halogen spot system in the corridor with good'ol incandescent lightbulbs. Ohhh, what a relief. No more buzzing, and the lamps look so much better...

Downside: I can hear our home computer again. Oh no...

yaler

Post by yaler » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:10 am

Yeah, it's hard not to get giddy about some things... and I often feel the blood drain from my face as I realize that I've completely lost my grip on reality by enthusiastically introducing my friend(s) to X product/idea/website etc etc.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:39 am

No, they don't think I'm crazy, they all want me to build them a PC which is "quiet like yours".

Granted though they do look at me a bit strange when I explain under-clocking to them.

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:59 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I don't have any friends, so I don't have to worry about that issue.
SoCal too gangster? It is for me. Too many illegal immigrants! :lol: :lol:
(sorry..I don't have any friends down here either...all up in CenCal) :?

bendit

Post by bendit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:46 am

yes and they don't even have any idea that I spend time reading about quiet computer parts. :roll:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:53 am

I also post on Anandtech forums from time to time......can't help it. The place is filled noisy computers apparently. When I post about quieting techniques, I get replies like "waste your hard-earned money", or "SilenX has a -2db fan that blows 150cfm". It's a waste of time for the most part..... :lol:

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Most think im crazy when i tell them ive spent probably over £100 on fans and heatsinks to make my PC quieter, and nearly £100 on a new PSU when my old one ran fine.
Then i turn on my PC and they agree that its very nice not having the constant drone in the background.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Most people think im crazy. :D

People think im kidding when I say: "Its already on"
"Nooooo way. U so L337. I cant hear it" they say 8)

Anyways. Making acoustic improvements on other peoples PCs is underrated.
People absolutely love you afterwards. They relax alot more and fell more comfortable in general using their PCs.

Suspending HDDs and replacing whiny GFX fans are the winners for me. Makes a world of difference in almost all PCs.

Another funny thing is that people start looking around for "the rest of it" when you tell them your ITX system is a computer.
"But...but....wheres the rest of it", "that not a computer" :lol:

beli ninja

Post by beli ninja » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:48 pm

So you think spreading the silent love is fulfilling? I just might do that... :)

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Most of them find it interesting and appreciate it when I quiet down their own computers. Others couldn`t care less. One of them refuses do dial down his fans even though his cpu runs @ 30 degrees.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:10 pm

beli ninja wrote:So you think spreading the silent love is fulfilling? I just might do that... :)
Go for it. I like it. :)

People are very thankful afterwards.

Most people get extactic when you silence their PC.

Most people are like: "Its a PC. Its supposed to sound like a jet engine.", "All my PCs have been like that" :?

By default PC are apparently supposed to be noisy. Too bad.

AuraAllan to the rescue........ da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:39 pm

I think so even they use words: "eccentric" and "unique" when they regard me... Well its not as much worrisome as if they would regard me as "Homicidal Chainsaw Weilding Lunatic"...

P.S. I prefer axe... I really do its much more quieter :P

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:13 pm

FartingBob wrote:Most think im crazy when i tell them ive spent probably over £100 on fans and heatsinks to make my PC quieter, and nearly £100 on a new PSU when my old one ran fine.
Then i turn on my PC and they agree that its very nice not having the constant drone in the background.
But they are OK with your name? :shock: 8)

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Re: Do your friends think you are crazy?

Post by mr. poopyhead » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:54 pm

beli ninja wrote:After they heard it they all looked at me like I was some kind of a freak and sad that I had a problem.
your friends are cruel...

my friends think i'm a weird nerd... but they don't think i'm a sad freak, haha... sometimes my girlfriend catches me under the desk listening to my computer... she rolls her eyes and leaves the room.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:07 am

No. I appreciate what they do, they appreciate what I do. Occassionally we have a heated argument about our choices of mouse or whatever, but why would anyone think a demand for silence and quality would be sad! :lol:

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:44 am

They may call me crazy, but i know better. They're just jealous!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:46 am

My friends usually think I'm crazy, until it's time for them to build/buy a computer, car, A/V or electronic equipment of any kind. Now all of a sudden, I'm a genius.

beli ninja

Post by beli ninja » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:17 am

that's right, whenever there's a problem with a computer I'm the first one they call. who's the freak now!?!? ;)

chirphappy

Post by chirphappy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:39 am

beli ninja wrote:that's right, whenever there's a problem with a computer I'm the first one they call. who's the freak now!?!? ;)
I'm in the same situation regarding computer questions, but they still think I'm nuts for wanting a silent PC. They look at me like I have mental issues when I enthuse about quietening my machine.

beli ninja

Post by beli ninja » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 am

as someone mentioned earlier, I guess it all comes down to demonstrating the lowered noise on their own machines. until then it is hard to explain.
Last edited by beli ninja on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:24 am

I think many people dont understand that you can quieten your Pc to near ambient whilst still being very powerful. If people knew you could use the latest GPU and CPU's in a 'silent' PC then it would be much more popular.

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:26 am

Same here. Too much time and too much nonsense involved with them. (I guess one could say the same about women too :wink: )

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:32 am

My imaginary friends think I’m fine but the ward psychiatrist tends to disagree with them.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:14 pm

I think some people can take it too far when they try to get all noise out. I don't take that route. I simply aim to get the computer nearly silent without going to extreme measures. When i try to quiet my friend's computers, I simply explain high quality fans, low temperature without overclocking is pointless, and attention to quality components leads to a more pleasurable computer. I don't try to make their systems totally silent, I just replace the CPU fan with a semi quiet model, turn the fan control on, and recommend that they get a silent PSU. When they see the differences it made, when they build their next machine, they come back and start from scratch to build it quieter with semi suspended drives (grommets. I don't like suspension because it is not robust), proper airflow, and good components. Some people don't get it, but if you give them a sample, they usually bite.

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

thejamppa wrote:Well its not as much worrisome as if they would regard me as "Homicidal Chainsaw Weilding Lunatic"...

P.S. I prefer axe... I really do its much more quieter :P
:lol:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Meh, computer noise is annoying.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:57 pm

It is just the opposite for me - my girlfriend was very impressed at how quiet my computer was.