Update on Flash USB sticks and UDMA CF cards

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Update on Flash USB sticks and UDMA CF cards

Post by halcyon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 pm

I was browsing through stores yesterday in search for a 8-16GB fast read/write USB Flash memory and an UDMA Compactflash card.

I found out that SLC type memory made by Samsung is being mostly phased out of production. This was the type of memory responsible for the fastest USB Flash thumb drives like Corsair Flash Voyager GT, OCZ ATV Turbo and A-Data PD7 Turbo 200X drives.

Now the 16GB variants are being made with MLC type memory and are performing much worse for write speed (read: about half or worse, depending on load).

This means that if you need a fast 8GB USB Flash memory for some reason, it might be a good time to snatch up one now - even though the prices are plummeting still.

I have hard time finding 8GB Voyager GT or ATV Turbo anymore in the shops I can use (I'm outside USA), but at least the A-Data PD7 is still available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 000NDCXS6/

Now, a more interesting development is the steady price drop of UDMA CF cards, which are even faster for writes than the aforementioned SLC USB sticks, but of course only when paired with a proper UDMA card reader.

Currently 8GB UDMA Lexar goes for about $155 USD and prices are still dropping. Some people are already using this card succesfully as boot drive for XP (instructions included):

http://www.amazon.com/review/R38BSB39UD ... B000OU7EQE

I can't wait till the fastest UDMA 16GB cards come down to 100USD. I bet it might be even before the fast SSD drives come down to a similar price :)

This is all just FYI, I'm not afficiliated and blah blah...

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:35 pm

well, here's hoping the prices will drop soon.

thanks for the update, m8

biodome

Post by biodome » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:22 am

I've just started inquiring today about this topic.
I want to eliminate the HDD noise completly in my bedroom system, and I thought why not use a CompactFlash card with an IDE adapter.

The UDMA cards are still quite expensive, as i don't really wish to invest more than 100$.

The question is will CF cards like the Sandisk Extreme III x133 be enough to run XP, if im not mistaken it has 20mb trasfer rate, and an 8gb card of this type will cost less than 100$.
For about the same price i can get a 4GB Sandisk Extreme IV x250, but 4GB is kinda pushing it.

I intend to get the content and files from my remote main pc using WiFi.

I can also find in ebay 16GB CF cards from OEM manufactures for about 70$, but i assume these are much slower and not fit for use with an OS.

Anybody that did something similar can comment on what should be used?

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:28 am

I realize this i snot what you are asking for, but maybe an easier and (probably) better performing solution is a suspended enclosure of your current drive? Like you say the UDMA CF cards are pricey compared with lesser performing cards, a good IDE-adapter costs a bit aswell and success is NOT guaranteed. I have had varied success with UDMA CF cards (Lexar) due to incompatabilities with motherboards and adapters.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std ... tdrive2002

Regards,
Kent

biodome

Post by biodome » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 am

i already have a smart drive 2002, it's not enough.
i can get a Sandisk extreme III 8gb x200 version (30mb transfer) for about 90$, i think it will do the job. though i really wish i could get 16gb for this price they're all a lot slower. but there are plenty of other topics discussing this thing, should investigate more.. :)