My P182 build is finally done... Umm.. For now.. :)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WipeOut

My P182 build is finally done... Umm.. For now.. :)

Post by WipeOut » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:20 am

Well to cut a long story short I got most of my components second hand from my brother for a reasonable price.. Its certainly a huge upgrade from the PC its replacing which was a 3Ghz P4.. I then followed that with lots of reading on making it silent and then after getting the parts I needed I did lots of testing to make it as quiet as possible..

Basic spec is..
Antec P182
Antec Phantom 500
Asus Striker Extreme
C2D E6700 (I think)
Ninja with Scythe PWM fan
4GB memory
Seagate 500GB HDD
Nvidia 7600GT with Accelero S2
4 x Noiseblocker 120mm fans

All fan control is done by Q-Fan.. The fan in the lower chamber is controlled by a sensor on the Phantom and keeps it at 40C.. The three "case" fans are all running of a single fan header with the temperature sensor at the top of the case set to maintain 35C..

Current temps after running for a while are..
Case 35C - ~800rpm
PSU 40C - ~800rpm
CPU - 44C - ~700rpm
Motherboard - 45C

CPU burn in for 10 min has the CPU up to 58C - 59C with the CPU fan at about 1000RPM and the case temp at 35C - 36C with case fans at about 950RPM..

At idle its using 149W running Ubuntu 7.10..

Compared to the PC its replacing its very quiet.. Just a slight "wind" noise from the fans when you ave your head right up next to them (which I could probably reduce by cutting out the grills) and a small amount of sound from the HDD..

I also removed the front USB-Firewire-Audio from the P182 and blanked it off rather opting for those ports in the 3.5" bay to give a totally "clean" look when the door is closed..

Anyway, here are the photos.. Inspired by some of your builds its the neatest PC I have ever done as well as the quietest..

(Feedback is welcome :) )

Thanks for all the help SPCR and its members!!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/rapidcool/SilentPC
Last edited by WipeOut on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

SilentShoe

Post by SilentShoe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 pm

nice build!
i suggest moving that fan on the ninja in like with the 120mm exhuast on the rear, cause its probably having a hard time sucking air being so close to the graphics!
otherwise looks good!