Any good keyboard?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed May 21, 2008 5:49 am

HueyCobra wrote:
thejamppa wrote:I like logitech's Wave corded keyboard and the logitech Ultra Flat keyboard. Especially the Ultra Flat is nice to type as its keys remind of laptops keys as the feeling. Wave is not as weird as other ergo-keyboards but I find it better keyboard generally to type than your regular one. I have much less stiff shoulders and wrists when I changed to it from regular one.
thejamppa, could you offer any thoughts on how the Wave compares to conventional ("butterfly"-style as mcoleg aptly described them) ergonomic keyboards?

I am considering buying a corded Wave in a couple of months, despite some dissatisfaction with recent Logitech products (specifically Media Keyboard Elite) and the bloat of the SetPoint software.
I changed off media keyboard elite to wave corded. The button's are significatly more quiet than the media elite's. The writing is easy and feeling is very good. the wrist support feels good but gets dirty easily and is hard to clean due its artificial leather.

I like writing with wave. Albeit its not like UltraFlat's which have better feeling in keys but its nice and ergnomic. I had inflamation in wrist due keyboard and mouse use. After changing wave my inflamation got better.

Microsoft ergo 4000 is real competitor for the Wave but I like wave generally a lot and I have done more with MS ERGO 4000 but briefly tested it. Its curvy nature was more than waveäs, so it might take slightly more time to get used than wave. Wave's extra button's have become very essential to me.

Keys are good in Wave, albeit they might feel bit louder after few month's of use but they're still very quiet considering what media elite's was.

If wave would be made with UltraFlat's keys, would this keyboard then be almost perfect imho.

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » Wed May 21, 2008 11:47 am

I logged in to share how much I like my Unicomp keyboard.

It has the old style IBM keyboard feel and sound. It kills any type of quietness but I'm old-school and can't get enough of the keyboard. I'm thinking of even buying one of there Linux ones. If its important to you, the keyboards are made in the US.

I've also tried a Deck keyboard. If you want quiet, amazing backlight, and like a soft feel, I don't think you could go wrong with the Deck. I returned mine as I wanted the old IBM type and the return went smoothly.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Wed May 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Optimus Maximus keyboard.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Don't ask how much it costs. :wink:

But seriously, ever consider getting a keyboard you like with a built in USB port? You can always stick an LED twisty light thingy into there and front light your keyboard. I did that with mine since I game in the dark.

Licaon
Friend of SPCR

Post by Licaon » Wed May 21, 2008 4:24 pm

Logitech UltraX w/ Dvorak layout

kazador

Post by kazador » Wed May 21, 2008 5:42 pm

ive got a G15 and it's the most cr**tastic pos I've ever ued. it's only redeeming quiites are back light and lcd display witch is not all that useful. thank god im not in college any more i would loathe typing a term paper on this thing. it even sux in gaming you cant hold down more than 3 keys before it gets confused and eather doesent register some of them or gets stuck and wont relese them :( sorry end of rant.

now my Microsoft natural.... this is a nice keyboard. i could type on it all day.

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Thu May 22, 2008 1:23 am

thejamppa wrote:I changed off media keyboard elite to wave corded. The button's are significatly more quiet than the media elite's. The writing is easy and feeling is very good. the wrist support feels good but gets dirty easily and is hard to clean due its artificial leather.
Thanks for your additional comments, thejamppa. Very informative and what a coincidence you too were using a Media Keyboard Elite. Good to hear the Wave has helped with the inflammation of your wrist. My ergonomic issues are in the fingers as my wrists are well-cushioned by a soft gel wrist-rest that sits awkwardly under my MKE.

I think the Wave will be an ergonomic improvement, although I should also try some of the Microsoft ergonomic keyboards as they seem pretty comfortable.
thejamppa wrote:Keys are good in Wave, albeit they might feel bit louder after few month's of use but they're still very quiet considering what media elite's was.
Thanks for mentioning that and reminding me there is a SPCR side to keyboards too :) Key noise doesn't bother me - which is fortunate when it comes to the MKE.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 am

I've used Ketronic keyboards for years. First the LT Designer (PS2) and now the Classis U-2 (USB).

I just like the uncompressed layout and keys and the "feel" of the keys.

No bells & whistles though.