any 92mm top down fans that beats Zalman 7000 in silence?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

loldrup

any 92mm top down fans that beats Zalman 7000 in silence?

Post by loldrup » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:29 am

I plan to cool a Core 2 E7200 on a Intel D945GCLF mini-ITX board and of course want's to make it as low noice as possible. Does anything modern beat the Zalman 7000 at 5v or below, when it comes to noice?
Requirements are top down cooler and no more than 92mm fan (the smaller and lower, the better - then I can reduce the size of my to-be homemade wooden cabinet as much as possible :))
The motherboard will be placed upside down in the buttom of the cabinet, so the CPU cooler can take in air directly from below the cabinet (which will have feets about 1 inch high)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:51 am

you could aways throw Scythe Shuriken 100mm ultra slim fan makes that HSF one of the lowest HSF combo's. Unlike in Zalman's you can easily swap fan on Shuriken. With the fan its about 64mm tall.

loldrup

Post by loldrup » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 pm

thejamppa wrote:you could aways throw Scythe Shuriken 100mm ultra slim fan makes that HSF one of the lowest HSF combo's. Unlike in Zalman's you can easily swap fan on Shuriken. With the fan its about 64mm tall.
I found a review of the Scythe Shuriken 100mm and their measurement says 31.9 dB. Quite a lot. I could try swaping it with something else

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:04 pm

loldrup wrote:
thejamppa wrote:you could aways throw Scythe Shuriken 100mm ultra slim fan makes that HSF one of the lowest HSF combo's. Unlike in Zalman's you can easily swap fan on Shuriken. With the fan its about 64mm tall.
I found a review of the Scythe Shuriken 100mm and their measurement says 31.9 dB. Quite a lot. I could try swaping it with something else
Frosty measures their fans differently from SPCR. As you notice Shuriken is one of the quiets HSF's they have. Since loudest their measured fan is over 70 d/BA's I think they measure noise directly from fan and not a feet and a meter away like SPCR.

Frosty got Minja's noise with stock fan 41,2 d/BA's which is over 10 d/BA's more than SPCR got. Which means they do it differently and cannot be compeared directly.