Amber lights for computer

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Amber lights for computer

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:35 pm

I am not very big fan of bright lights. White, Blue and Green are rather cold toned colours for lights, especially on cold cathode. I also consider light as a from a quietness. Visual quietness.

I like amber colour very much. There are virtually zero changes getting amber lights in computer. Lazerled modules like these are only things I can get readily: http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/ima ... am_550.jpg

And I am affraid their don't illuminate much and to get good illumination I would need plenty of these... I am considering mixing some amber coloured clear which I could apply on couple of white cold cathode's. However I am not sure howwell this could workout.

Are there any other choices? Ideas? Getting warm amber colours on my Antec 900 would be dream come true. Its also unique colour atm and softer toned than other colours availeble.

Ideas and links would be welcomed. Also critisicm and suggestions. I am not good doing electrical things myself, my brothers are pretty handy in that part though...

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:04 pm

White cold cathode wrapped in amber coloured cellophane maybe? It should attenuate as well as colour the light.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Oh, I never thought that. Its less permanent than mixing inks and cheaper ^^. I definately have to try that. Thank you very much blackworx. I could have never thought of that. ^^

This is why I love SPCR. There are so many peoples whom can give you ideas and help you by giving ideas that you could never though.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:03 pm

No problem :D

Edit: Remember to post photos once you're done!

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:47 am

Version 1:

Light is bit too yellow for the amber.

Version 2:

Now this is the amber tone I am looking for. Soft brownish amber without intrusive light leak like some blue or green ones tend to have.

Only donwside is that it doesn't light much during day when image was taken... I will take better one once its dark enough. Tone colour is also slightly different from front as Orange Nexuses got changed intp 800 RPM slipstreams today and then CCFL's got new thin layer of brown ink resulting this tone you see.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 am

Nice 8) ... Definitely gets my vote over the usual lurid blue/green/red. Looking forward to a night time shot.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:34 am

The promise glow shots in dark:

Not best possible image but shows bit the glow generally in dark.'

More detailed shoft from the front.

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Now that sure looks better then those damn blue/green/white flashers everyone seems to want.

God how I hate Blue LEDS as I'm blue light sensitive; Can spot a Police color bar from 2 Miles that's off just from the reflection off the blue lenses during the day.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Thank you very much. It looks awesome in dark ( IMHO ) but it doesn't blind you in dark room when gaming. Amberish tone is also more friendly to my eye.

I think I should have done the fast way and ordered yellow CCFL's instead white. Then all I need to do would apply Citadels Flesh Wash and not spent a lot time doing glass paints first.

But its the result that matters and not the job in this. I am glad peoples also find amber lights better than your commercial blue, green etc things.